Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

i had my RB fronts and rears installed along with koni shocks. Everything was fine, handling was disgustingly good. I went on a little joy ride and for some reason at the end of the road there was a ditch I didnt see (it was at night) and I went over it. My car bottomed out, however everythign felt fine driving wise afterwards. About a week later, I hear the inevitable knocking noise. I figured its probably the endlink issue everyone else is having with the RB sways. So I took the car back to the shop and they raised the car. The sways seem to be tight as ever albeit it seems as the end link bolts may be deforming (im speculating because from the looks of it the bolt is bent under the rubber a bit) ?? Can't really tell because theres that rubber sheath that covers most of it. I did notice some of the red paint of the front sways in particular had rubbed onto certain parts of the chassis (which makes sense for the noise). I am wondering if goign over that ditch could actually cause my entire car chassis to lower if that makes sense? Because it doesnt seem as if the endlinks are coming loose. Also another thing I noticed is that the left side of my car is about 1/4 inch lower than the right side both front and back. Could that ditch cause that as well? (I have eibach prokit btw). The shop doesn't really know what to do as they said the springs are unadjustable. What could I try to fix these problems?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
on a suzuki that I once owned in the year 1987, I got negative camber on the front left wheel due my going into a ditch.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
was the ditch even across the entire road? like straight across the road?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was the ditch even across the entire road? like straight across the road?
[/b]
it wasnt like a sharp ditch more of a large one, like a triangle shaped ditch in the middle of the road, it mostly caught the left front of my car. i swerved to avoid most of it but not all of it.

May sound dumb, but did you put your rear sway bar on backwards?
[/b]
what do you mean? i had the shop install it. it looked correct to me. and im not having much problems with the rear anyways.

i guess one of my questions is that can the endlinks be causing the problems I'm having (even tho they seem tight from what i can tell when the shop raised the car)

I am willing to buy new endlinks and have them reinstall it if thats what it takes, but unsure what the solution is.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also another thing I noticed is that the left side of my car is about 1/4 inch lower than the right side both front and back. Could that ditch cause that as well? (I have eibach prokit btw). The shop doesn't really know what to do as they said the springs are unadjustable. What could I try to fix these problems?
[/b]

I do not believe that your encounter with the ditch is the cause of this problem. If you notice, most cars sit slightly lower on the drivers side, especially cars with aftermarket springs. I bet its safe to assume that you are the only person in the car the majority of the time? The constant extra weight on the drivers side of the chassis will cause the springs on that side to settle slightly lower than the passenger side.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just bottomed out my car Wednesday evening while blowing down some twisties on a bumpy back road. :( It has tweaked my alignment to the left ever so slightly. I'll rack it and check it out next week. The thing is, hitting that ditch you could have bent/tweaked a couple of things. The knocking noise bould be any of a variety of bushings/links/parts that took the hit. I'd get it in and set up on an alignment rack so that you can see if anything is out. That will help you to know where to look for possible damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts