Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda 6 3.0 v6 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Mazda 6 2004 3.0 v6 and was wondering what to do to get more power. I have looked at cat less headers but I think that there may be some problems with the lame and that it may go into Limp mode. How much more power och better throtel respons will I get if a put on a throtelbody from a 3.7?

If you know enithing pless link it or give me some tips.

Sorry for my bad English

Douglas

·
Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
160 Posts
Unfortunately there's not much you can do with the 3.0. Headers will get you some more sound but I doubt the performance difference is appreciable. I've heard an intake can help wake things up, but AFAIK most of them cause CELs which may not work if you have to pass inspection.

I have a 3.7L throttle body on mine and I THINK it helps a bit at the bottom end/lighter throttle input, but that may be placebo. When combined with the airbox mod, it makes choo choo noises when you blip, so that's kinda cool I guess. Otherwise the main draw for me was having the spacer to use a much cheaper to replace TB vs. the 3.0.

·
Registered
Mazda 6 3.0 v6 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately there's not much you can do with the 3.0. Headers will get you some more sound but I doubt the performance difference is appreciable. I've heard an intake can help wake things up, but AFAIK most of them cause CELs which may not work if you have to pass inspection.

I have a 3.7L throttle body on mine and I THINK it helps a bit at the bottom end/lighter throttle input, but that may be placebo. When combined with the airbox mod, it makes choo choo noises when you blip, so that's kinda cool I guess. Otherwise the main draw for me was having the spacer to use a much cheaper to replace TB vs. the 3.0.
okay thanks.
its a bit sad that there is nothing public about optimization considering that the ford mondeo st220 can still get up to 245hp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
okay thanks.
its a bit sad that there is nothing public about optimization considering that the ford mondeo st220 can still get up to 245hp.
Yeah ,what Ignatius said. I've been searching up and down sad that theres no tunes for us, CPE Mafci not available anymore (which I heard could get you 15hp) so you can't even really find an intake without the code (not that I know of).

I got this car last July its my first car ever and what got me into cars, the handling is fun and it could be pretty quick , also the Airbox Mod sounds nice.

What I am planning on doing to mine when I have time : TB Spacer, CAI(Gonna try and find one without code), Muffler Delete or just AfterMarket Mufflers, Front Bumper here, WOT Box, EGR Mod, Cool Stickers for some HP.

Haha if I can't gain a lot of HP im at least gonna try to look and sound cool XDD (this is my daily).

Also I heard some people gaining stuff off the Apexi Neo and SAFCII. But I don't wanna mess with any of that.

Later down the line though if the cars still running or i get something else to daily im gonna turn it into a project and see if i can throw a Magnuson SC in there, some ppl have done it (but threads are old) but I wanna kind of finalize it .

I think I am just too obsessed with the uniqueness of this car and wanna raise hope haha .

·
Administrator
18,610 Posts
Just to hop on the above, the V6 really just wants more air. More air in, more air out.

Intake, throttle body, manifold, exhaust. Those things will get you a nicer sound (so your butt dyno is better), but will add a little bit of extra power as well. Whether or not 10 - 30hp is worth the cost of all that is up to you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, I have a Mazda 6 2004 3.0 v6 and was wondering what to do to get more power. I have looked at cat less headers but I think that there may be some problems with the lame and that it may go into Limp mode. How much more power och better throtel respons will I get if a put on a throtelbody from a 3.7?

If you know enithing pless link it or give me some tips.

Sorry for my bad English

Douglas
My big wonder is how you got a Mazda6 in Europe that has the USDM Ford Duratec 3.0 in it. Did it get imported? Thing to remember is that in North America, V6s are the norm, like a 2.0L would be in Europe. So over here, a D-segment sedan with a V6 is intended to be "normal" so it has a bit more torque but still isn't a screamer like a 6-cylinder would be in a European car like a BMW or Alfa Romeo. As an example, around 1998-2005 or so, the V6 Honda Accord (US Accord, not EU Accord) Subaru Legacy and Toyota Camry all had about 210 hp and did 0-60 mph in about 8.5 seconds. My Volvo V70 T5 has 2.3L but 250 hp and on a good day can do 0-60 mph in 7 seconds.
The USDM Mazda6 with the 3.0 has 220 hp, but is quite a bit faster than the USDM Accord and Camry V6s. I don't think it was designed to do any better. That was already more power and quicker acceleration than its competitors. No need to put more effort into it.
Of course, the basic engine design was shared across many Ford divisions in the day, including Jaguar, who had a whole different top end for different output and behavior.
But in the end, I think the only reason V6 D-segment cars in North America even exist is because the V6 in a midsize feels like a V8 in a full size American car, like an Impala or Lincoln Town Car. Its to feel like it has power to people who never would use it.

·
Registered
Mazda 6 3.0 v6 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My big wonder is how you got a Mazda6 in Europe that has the USDM Ford Duratec 3.0 in it. Did it get imported? Thing to remember is that in North America, V6s are the norm, like a 2.0L would be in Europe. So over here, a D-segment sedan with a V6 is intended to be "normal" so it has a bit more torque but still isn't a screamer like a 6-cylinder would be in a European car like a BMW or Alfa Romeo. As an example, around 1998-2005 or so, the V6 Honda Accord (US Accord, not EU Accord) Subaru Legacy and Toyota Camry all had about 210 hp and did 0-60 mph in about 8.5 seconds. My Volvo V70 T5 has 2.3L but 250 hp and on a good day can do 0-60 mph in 7 seconds.
The USDM Mazda6 with the 3.0 has 220 hp, but is quite a bit faster than the USDM Accord and Camry V6s. I don't think it was designed to do any better. That was already more power and quicker acceleration than its competitors. No need to put more effort into it.
Of course, the basic engine design was shared across many Ford divisions in the day, including Jaguar, who had a whole different top end for different output and behavior.
But in the end, I think the only reason V6 D-segment cars in North America even exist is because the V6 in a midsize feels like a V8 in a full size American car, like an Impala or Lincoln Town Car. Its to feel like it has power to people who never would use it.
Sorry for the late reply.
The car was imported to Sweden around 2009 by a woman who moved from the US to Sweden. As of what I know, there are currently only three Mazda6 with the 3.0l V6 in Sweden.

·
Registered
Mazda 6 3.0 v6 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to hop on the above, the V6 really just wants more air. More air in, more air out.

Intake, throttle body, manifold, exhaust. Those things will get you a nicer sound (so your butt dyno is better), but will add a little bit of extra power as well. Whether or not 10 - 30hp is worth the cost of all that is up to you.
I am currently thinking of buying headers for the car, a little in style with the ones featured in the link. I´ve also thought about buying a stand-alone ECU for the car and hopefully be able to re-map it in the future. My goal is to reach around 260hp.

·
Administrator
18,610 Posts
I am currently thinking of buying headers for the car, a little in style with the ones featured in the link. I´ve also thought about buying a stand-alone ECU for the car and hopefully be able to re-map it in the future. My goal is to reach around 260hp.
So far as I know, there does not exist any ECU or Tune for this car beyond going all-in like The Great NY did. But he also dumped an absurd amount of money/time into his car.

·
Registered
Mazda 6 3.0 v6 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah ,what Ignatius said. I've been searching up and down sad that theres no tunes for us, CPE Mafci not available anymore (which I heard could get you 15hp) so you can't even really find an intake without the code (not that I know of).

I got this car last July its my first car ever and what got me into cars, the handling is fun and it could be pretty quick , also the Airbox Mod sounds nice.

What I am planning on doing to mine when I have time : TB Spacer, CAI(Gonna try and find one without code), Muffler Delete or just AfterMarket Mufflers, Front Bumper here, WOT Box, EGR Mod, Cool Stickers for some HP.

Haha if I can't gain a lot of HP im at least gonna try to look and sound cool XDD (this is my daily).

Also I heard some people gaining stuff off the Apexi Neo and SAFCII. But I don't wanna mess with any of that.

Later down the line though if the cars still running or i get something else to daily im gonna turn it into a project and see if i can throw a Magnuson SC in there, some ppl have done it (but threads are old) but I wanna kind of finalize it .

I think I am just too obsessed with the uniqueness of this car and wanna raise hope haha .
It sounds like you´ve got a nice plan. I´d also like to fit a WOT box but I´m not too if it´s going to make any difference as mine is a automatic.
You mentioned some sort of EGR mod you wanted to do. What was it about? What sort of mod was it? Is the TB spacer for a 3.7l throttle body and what is CAI?

·
Registered
Mazda 6 3.0 v6 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far as I know, there does not exist any ECU or Tune for this car beyond going all-in like The Great NY did. But he also dumped an absurd amount of money/time into his car.
I was thinking about buying a speedoino. And maping it from scratch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was thinking about buying a speedoino. And maping it from scratch.
Instead of obsessing over getting a wee bit more power, consider learning some auto detailing. This is something you can get actual results with right away and it's very satisfying, and for not too much money in products to boot.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Instead of obsessing over getting a wee bit more power, consider learning some auto detailing. This is something you can get actual results with right away and it's very satisfying, and for not too much money in products to boot.
What the absolute off topic shit is this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
What the absolute off topic shit is this?
The 6th word of your reply is quite descriptive. I’m sure that your tone, while unkind, may be shared by a few. My point is that I like to think that Mazda owners like to drive their cars and their ownership might be enhanced by giving them (the vehicles) an appearance upgrade.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
The 6th word of your reply is quite descriptive. I’m sure that your tone, while unkind, may be shared by a few. My point is that I like to think that Mazda owners like to drive their cars and their ownership might be enhanced by giving them (the vehicles) an appearance upgrade.
Nobody asked you about detailing their car in this thread. Youre basically telling him his car is dirty when youve never seen it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nobody asked you about detailing their car in this thread. Youre basically telling him his car is dirty when youve never seen it.
Talon, You have an interesting take. I was simply suggesting that the OP might, in addition to looking for a performance upgrade, that he/she might also look at another way to enjoy his ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like you´ve got a nice plan. I´d also like to fit a WOT box but I´m not too if it´s going to make any difference as mine is a automatic.
You mentioned some sort of EGR mod you wanted to do. What was it about? What sort of mod was it? Is the TB spacer for a 3.7l throttle body and what is CAI?
I'm also rethinking the WOT haha right now this is my daily and its not legal to take out my cats, but the EGR mod is here.
More than a performance mod it's mainly to maintain a healthy car though it's mainly needed for anyone who does heavy mods its something to consider.

I'm getting the spacer for my regular 3.0L TB after doing some research , cordovas 3.7 conversion is something i might consider later but so far from all the threads I have seen the spacer alone for the regular 3.0L yields same results.

CAI is cold air intake (replacement for airbox) , I'm getting an Injen Cold Air Intake.
I heard the good ones are AEM and the CPE Mafci but I dont think either is available to anyone today unless someone from this forum is selling. CPE Mafci is definitely not going to be found anywhere else, which sucks because that Cold Air Intake yielded best results because it basically came with a piggyback module to help tune Air/Fuel ratio and squeeze a lot more power out, also there was a fix that came with that intake for the check engine light most CAI's give.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm also rethinking the WOT haha right now this is my daily and its not legal to take out my cats, but the EGR mod is here.
More than a performance mod it's mainly to maintain a healthy car though it's mainly needed for anyone who does heavy mods its something to consider.

I'm getting the spacer for my regular 3.0L TB after doing some research , cordovas 3.7 conversion is something i might consider later but so far from all the threads I have seen the spacer alone for the regular 3.0L yields same results.

CAI is cold air intake (replacement for airbox) , I'm getting an Injen Cold Air Intake.
I heard the good ones are AEM and the CPE Mafci but I dont think either is available to anyone today unless someone from this forum is selling. CPE Mafci is definitely not going to be found anywhere else, which sucks because that Cold Air Intake yielded best results because it basically came with a piggyback module to help tune Air/Fuel ratio and squeeze a lot more power out, also there was a fix that came with that intake for the check engine light most CAI's give.
I found that DrFeelGood was spot on when he says to swap coils often. Bad coils don't throw codes, but begin to degrade the cats immediately. After you change old coils like I did, you get a bit of a performance boost right off, but if the cats are damaged, it'll b e short lived and you'll be forking out REAL $$ to deal with them.
Keep new coils in the car to keep it happy and healthy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts