Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have experience with powerstop's brake pads which are really good, but got obliterated after one track day. The rotors I ran were Centric, just wondering about some better options for both pads and rotors?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Really intense track days will usually consume friction components. When I tracked my street S2000 I always swapped to track tires and pads and a would budget a full set of tires and pads for each weekend. This is normal consumption for this use.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the "I race my car and my budget priced shit wears out too fast" complaint threads...

It wasn’t a complaint, more of a question on any better options for the 6.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Well "better" is a relative term. I've tracked cars before (but not my "6") and the expectation is that one good day at the track is going to toast your pads, BUT there's another problem which is that you really want track-specific pads anyway and you NEVER want to use those on the street because they don't work worth crap until you get them warmed up. That means they're unsafe on the street.

So IMHO you swap 'em as required and that's just part of the deal.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well "better" is a relative term. I've tracked cars before (but not my "6") and the expectation is that one good day at the track is going to toast your pads, BUT there's another problem which is that you really want track-specific pads anyway and you NEVER want to use those on the street because they don't work worth crap until you get them warmed up. That means they're unsafe on the street.

So IMHO you swap 'em as required and that's just part of the deal.

Very good point, will probably start swapping components.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The harsh reality of high performance brakes - pads / rotors/ calipers is they are expensive. Damn expensive.

I would dare say it's less money to wear out a set of pads and possibly rotors and replace them rather than buy the high end performance stuff (Think Brembo)

Be sure you're sitting down when you price them. To upgrade my DD Brakes to the track Carbon Ceramic Brembo's runs close to $12K. Yes they are on the high end of things but either way they do get expensive.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT, 1.4" drop, OVTuned, Injen CAI, Thrush Exhaust
109 Posts
For now I'm only doing AutoX events, mainly because of the reduced cost/wear on the friction components (and reduced risk), but I've heard a lot of folks claiming the EBC Yellowstuff pads will stand up to Track use AND are usable on the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts