Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring with 6-speed manual. Went for a test drive today, and absolutely loved the car, except...it feels a little underpowered to me, compared to what I'm used to.

Are there simple bolt-on modifications available (ideally that won't void the warranty) that could be used to coax an extra ~20 to 30 hp from the car? If the Mazda 6 had somewhere in the neighborhood of 210 to 230hp, I'd be completely sold on it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
the car JUST came out...obviously there is little to no aftermarket for it yet.

There is an intake available but that is not going to net you 20-30 hp.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I wouldn't say it just came out, but the market is still very limited for this new of a vehicle.

The intake is estimated to add around 7-10hp, and if you add a complete exhaust system you can squeeze maybe 3hp out of it (according to some people, i'm not very technically savvy when it comes to how that works out).

That's all I know of right now, and i'm not sure there's much else to come for a car like this, since the compression ratio and ECU has proven tricky, at least according to Injen.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do like people are doing who want more power...wait for the diesel. You have 2 companies to choose from in intakes and 2 companies to choose from in exhausts. The car is 10 months old so it's more or less new or old depending on that it's still 2013, so you decide. Even with both of those I'm nowhere near close to 210hp.

If you need 210hp I would either way until more items come out, or get the diesel or get the 14 Mazda 3. I think more stuff will come out for the 3 than the 6. You could also get a 2013 Mazda 6 with 268hp, good deals on those currently.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot everyone - I appreciate the insight. I spent a couple of hours reading through various forum topics and feel like I understand the car a lot better now.

I'm not in a rush - I could easily keep my current daily driver for another 3 or 4 years. At this point, I think I'm going to wait at least until the 2015 models are announced. I'm hoping that Mazda will confirm a 6 speed manual Mazdaspeed variant and/or coupe over the coming months. An AWD twin turbo 4 or even a higher performance 6 would make this an outstanding car.

In the meantime, I'll continue to lurk here to keep learning more about your experiences with the new 6. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Crossing fingers for a future ECU remap mod, surely from a reputable and reliable outfit. A 10-15% hp bump from our NA long stroke 2.5L would be acceptable...

·
Registered
926 Posts
as much as I would love to have forced induction, 13:1 compression ratio would be very very tough to work with without some mods to lower compression. But of course cant rule out mazda making some skyactiv G turbos in the future

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lol! When I first saw that CR, I knew FI was out.

-St7
There are companys that make custom head gaskets up to 3mm. Based on the information I have found on the engine that would take the compression ratio down to approx 10.3 to 1 knowing the current gasket Thicknes being the only margin of error (assuming it's currently around 0.5 Mm). You would of course have to have to to a little custom Piping and if it were me I would be looking at a rear mount setup. There would be plenty of room out back without that huge rear muffler there. Using one of my favorite calcs Squirrel Performance like a t04b s3 trim would be a perfect turbo for about 320 hp. I installed a rear mount turbo on a LS1 years back and the drivabity is fantastic. and the lag although you think it would be worse is nearly nonexistant. this is mostly to to the fact that the turbine sees a much higher pressure differential being right by the exhaust port and therefore can spool more freely. It looks like about 14 psi is about what you would net to push through to get those numbers Witch it going to be pretty easy on this engine I am sure alough. The cost of turbos, piping intercoolers, Bov and a piggyback/standalone would run about 3k tuning another 2k+. It would be a fun an worthwhile endevor that would give you almost 200hp per ton at the wheels which would make this light car pull like a mule. Also you would def need to run meth on the car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You may not need use methanol with this engine considering it's direct injection and has a piston head that is designed specifically to prevent detonation. Also the rear mount setup may lead to a lesser combustion temp considering the 4-2-1 header is still intact further reducing detonation. The bmw n54 operates off similar C/R and boost on pump gas with a tune. Cant wait till warrant is done. This will happen. It's a way off though. lol

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You have to remember... compression necessarily isn't the enemy. HEAT is the enemy. imagine the laughs you would have gotten 10 years ago saying you could build any engine and run a 14:1 compression ratio with 87 octane pump gas. You would be laughed out of the room! The temps created would pre-detonate that fuel like crazy!!! By reducing the combustion temperatures through various methods, they've pulled off that ability. I think a meth kit would certainly aid in a turbo situation, as the extra 100+* of IATs would be hard on the vehicles ability to keep combustion temps where they belong.. but combine a bump to 93 octane, and add in meth to bring the IAT's back down to say a 50-70* increase as well as a higher detonation temp from the higher octane... we're not talking insanity. Don't let the compression alone trick you into thinking it's blasphemy to put 14:1, gas, and turbo in the same sentence :D (and recall, in the US, we're already bumped down to 13:1 ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Hmm... Good point. I just wonder what these engines are really capable of before they pop. I'm sure it won't be long before people start digging into them.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hmm... Good point. I just wonder what these engines are really capable of before they pop. I'm sure it won't be long before people start digging into them.
I'm quite curious myself.... I can only imagine we're somewhere between the Miata 2.0 and the MZR 2.3 engines in capability. We have a lighter crank, but lose the forged pistons and rods of the Miata engine, while maintaining the strong block the MZR's had. I'm going to venture to say 350 brake HP is about what this engine can handle reliably. I don't doubt a bit someone somewhere pushes it to 450-500 without popping it... but not reliably enough for a DD family sedan without major re-working.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
IMO, 300-350HP is about all this car needs @ ~3200lbs.

Another issue would be what's the best power adder to use. I've been thinking it'd be an S/C from the start, but if it were turbo, rear mount seems like the better idea.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I dunno 400HP before losses would make me MUCH more happy. My other car *was* 425HP before losses and at 3,400lbs it was no slouch, but not quite enough umph for what the OEM's are doing to performance cars anymore! drop 200lbs and maintain the power you've got a sub 5 second 0-60. that'll do.. :D.

I would think a S/C would be a problem, again due to heat being closer to the combustion chamber. A rear mount wouldn't be bad, however unlike the LS1 example.. we don't have much displacement, and are moving MUCH less air. It'll take a teeny tiny turbo to keep from having significant lag early on, and with no real engine power before 3K anyway to make up the lag, you're gonna feel like you got kicked in the back when it hits. The 2.3 with a turbo nearby was already bad enough lag with a tiny K04 turbo and a 2K rpm spool going through short piping into a top mount IC. Don't forget.. we have TONS of space up front. The diesel is a similarly sized engine with sequential turbos!

As for the turbo idea at all.. it gets rather interesting, we could potentially run into more issues there as well. I was doing some quick reading on it, and some of the way they combat the compression ratio issue, is the dynamic compression of the engine is lowered due to leaving the intake valve open partially during the compression stroke, thus allowing the compression to be effectively lower. A turbo would significantly lessen the amount of air that could leak down I would think. Changing this intake timing event may end up being a must.. It's all SOO interesting. Wish I could spend some time and money on just turboing this thing to get another 100 or so HP out of it LOL.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts