Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2014 2.5L 4 cylinder Mazda6. I’m looking to add a little more horsepower and off the line jump. Any ideas on some mods I can get done to accomplish this?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Intake and exhaust are a waste of money; you'll get zero.

OVT will provide SOME lift, but if you're thinking you are going to get 25+HP, forget it. Basically if you're looking for a +5 to perhaps 10% lift, ok -- and a broadening of the torque curve toward the lower RPM range. The latter makes the vehicle much more-driveable IMHO, but it doesn't really make it much faster.

IMHO the torque lift all on its own is worth the money for the tune, but if you're buying it for HP lift you're going to be disappointed for the money spent.

There's only so much you can do when you're already starting with extraordinarily high compression ratios and a NA engine, so you can't toss more air into the engine and crank up the fuel, and both the intake and exhaust are very low-restriction from the factory so there's really nothing to be had in improving the engine's breathing either.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Intake, exhaust and after those, Orange Virus tune.

Aftermarket support is limited for the 3rd gen.
I second that brother, the aftermarket support is so limited.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Intake and exhaust are a waste of money; you'll get zero.

OVT will provide SOME lift, but if you're thinking you are going to get 25+HP, forget it. Basically if you're looking for a +5 to perhaps 10% lift, ok -- and a broadening of the torque curve toward the lower RPM range. The latter makes the vehicle much more-driveable IMHO, but it doesn't really make it much faster.

IMHO the torque lift all on its own is worth the money for the tune, but if you're buying it for HP lift you're going to be disappointed for the money spent.

There's only so much you can do when you're already starting with extraordinarily high compression ratios and a NA engine, so you can't toss more air into the engine and crank up the fuel, and both the intake and exhaust are very low-restriction from the factory so there's really nothing to be had in improving the engine's breathing either.
How much benefit would the engine/performance have with aftermarket headers in your opinion?

·
Registered
619 Posts
As you have pointed out in past, giving the engine the ability to profitably use higher octane fuel will give a bit of a boost - but in your case you have judged that the meagre performance lift is not worth the fuel cost increment.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
How much benefit would the engine/performance have with aftermarket headers in your opinion?
Very little. The factory exhaust, including the headers, simply do not restrict gas flow much at all. What you WILL do is permanently render the vehicle non-registrable anywhere that tests emissions, of course (and it's technically illegal to register and drive it anywhere in the US so-modified, but in non-inspection states/areas you won't get caught.) Incidentally it's also technically illegal to sell the vehicle to someone else in that condition as well (not that it'll matter unless, again, the buyer moves to or is in a testing area.)

I have both the 87 and 92/93 octane tune files for mine. The 92/93 file DOES provide a bit more lift, but not very much (another few -- less than 10 -- horsepower) -- and it does force you into using premium fuel all the time which is a permanent cost-of-operation increase.

I definitely do not regret buying the tune as the torque lift down around the 2,000 RPM range is very significant and worthwhile, but that's where the value is -- it's not in the horsepower end. I don't think I've put more than 500 miles on the car with the 93 octane tuning file in the PCM -- from a "seat of the pants" point of view I can't tell the difference and the 0-60 acceleration time improvement between the 87 and 93 file is maybe a tenth of a second.

The only times my car has seen the stealer since purchase was for two recalls. During the last one (window trim clip replacement) they reflashed my PCM and the TPMS module despite being told NOT TO when I dropped the car off. I knew INSTANTLY they had done so as soon as I drove off the lot; it's quite noticeable. 3 minutes when I got home was sufficient to put the "correct" PCM file back.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you get the premium fuel tune and what device is used for flashing? I've been looking for a way to do this.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
They're individual and you need a Tactrix and the software to talk to it; it's an iterative process where you log data, send it to them, they send you another file, etc. I've heard OVT is no longer doing Mazdas, however -- no idea if someone else picked up his work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts