Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suggest you take a look at a few things. Air filter ,fuel filter ,spark plugs and fuel quality your usng. I would leave the fuel filter for last as that is probably in the fuel tank along with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've tried premium (91 AKI) in the heat (110F and up). I don't say it makes no difference in mpg, but I can't pull a difference out of the normal tank-to-tank scatter. Scatter approaches 10% for me, despite very stable and consistent driving patterns, so one would not expect to be able to see a clear or provable difference in mpg. If it won't get me mpg, I don't quite see the point for my sort of driving. Maybe on a track? Maybe?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I live up north, today it was quite hot 85F and had the AC blowing for the first time.
Car felt very sluggish and preferred opening the sunroof and all the windows down, it was that unbearable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A/C definitely bogs the engine down. That's probably the simplest answer and the biggest impact in the summer months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2015 Sport definitely feels lethargic in very hot weather. I just deal with it though because I know there's not actually anything wrong with the car. Any car with a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine is going to feel slower in hot weather with the AC on. There is absolutely no way around that. It's completely normal to see reduced engine performance in very hot weather. I haven't tried using higher octane fuel and I'm not going to even bother because these cars are designed to run perfectly fine on 87 octane. You're pretty much just throwing money down the drain by running these cars on premium fuel. Especially if you don't have the 2.5 turbo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does anybody make a habit of using only premium during summer months? Any associated issues?
I have started to use 91 octane because of this very same issue.
Fill up a full tank of 91. You will thank me.
The ecu is pulling timing during very hot weather. The 87 cant handle the compression in hot weather.
I did the plugs and had an induction cleaning done. It did nothing. The 91 fixed the problem within minutes of the first tank.
Seriously. Go for it.
Report back.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I am talking about 91 octane in North Anerica.
Europe has a different number system for anti knock ratings.
I tried 89 (instead of 87) here in KY for one tank, lost about 7mpg. Although im not convinced the dealer didnt do something during my last oil change. I was getting it done at the closer Chrysler dealership but needed some warranty work so i went to the Mazda dealer. Within 1000 miles the oil smelled like gas very strongly and the MPG has sucked ass ever since. Im about to change it early and see if maybe somehow they used the wrong oil. I dont remember anything like this happening last summer even running the A/C all the time.

So, YMMV may vary wildly with different octanes like that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been using 91 Octane in my 2016 Sport MTX since the lockdown, I am an essential worker, so I still drive as much as before. I am not going back to 87, throttle response is better, and it makes a big difference during the hot temperatures in summer compared to 87 Octane, Before the lockdown I would use 87 during cooler days and used 91 during hot days. But now using 91 since March, is like the car learned to trust that there won't be detonation, so it doesn't retard timing as much.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts