Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through cardomain.com, i noticed that someone has a Diablosport performance chip listed as a future upgrade for his 6. I was not aware that there was a chip available yet, as i have not read anything about it on this board. Duratec performance has it listed on their site and says it is compatible with the Duratec 3.0L DOHC V6. It claims to add up to 19 hp to a stock 6. Is this a viable add on to a stock 6S? thanks

http://store.duratecperformance.com/store/...onCode=HOTITEMS

·
Registered
55 Posts
Replying to Topic 'performance chip for 6s'

I would guess no, otherwise Duratec Performance would be selling it for the 6, or maybe they just haven't tested it, and it may work. I would wait for a chip that has been designed for or proven to work with our heads.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: performance chip for 6s

While I am also looking forward to a chip, this 3.0L duratec chip is not for the M6, our engine is totally different and alot more Mazda than Ford. Our heads, Cams, Valves etc...are completely different, and our current ECU is tuned to make use of the VVT our engines are capable of. Diablo is supposedly working on a chip for us, but don't expect to see it til end of the year at the earliest. No to mention, most chips attain there best gains with other mods, not standalone, so all the more reason to through a CAI and exhaust on the car. You can do that while we wait for the chip.

·
Registered
577 Posts

It isnt so much that the engine is more Ford than Mazda (it really isnt, maybe 50/50); but the computer is a Ford computer.... with some extra modules connected to it for controlling the VVT on the engine.

This new Ford computer does not have a port for a chip to plug into, so that wont be the way to tune these. We will have to use a device called The Predator. This plugs into the OBD-II diagnostic port under the dash, and accesses the computer. You can then flash the computer with a more aggressive program and/or tune the air/fuel ratio about 5% either way, adjust timing, speed limiters, etc....

You can find info on this Predator at DiabloSports website, or in our store. We dont expect Diablo to have this product ready for the Mazda6 until late this year at the earliest.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
298 Posts

What types of modifications should be done before even thinking about installing this chip?

Elmer

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by eduartejr

What types of modifications should be done before even thinking about installing this chip?

Elmer[/b]
None really, however, the more you do to free up airflow through the engine, the more you'll realize the benefits.

Probably the best (and only) way to realize anything with a new program and without any other mods (stock) would be to tune for premium gas. Be forewarned though, once you program to use premium gas, you cannot use less than premium unless you flash back to the original Mazda program. So be prepared to budget for higher gas prices.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I had a thought today about the programmer... I wonder how much life you'll take out of the EPROM in the ECU if you flash it somewhat frequently. I was thinking of tuning for premium fuel, but maybe flashing back to the stock program for long trips so I don't break the bank. Of course, the cost difference between regular and premium is probably not that much to even bother. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
895 Posts

My opinion: Who cares about .14c/gallon differences when it means increased performance?

If you do care, then no, flashing doesn't damage anything unless you lose power in the middle of the procedure (generally very very unlikely).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I realize that but EEPROMs have a finite life and are usually rated at how many erase/write cycles you can perform. As far as gas goes, it may be locally a $0.14 difference for you, but if you throw in regional price differences for a long trip and it can be much more. Here, the difference between 87 and 93 is more like $0.20-$0.25 and I've seen it as much as $0.25 higher in NJ and NY. Thus it could cost up to $0.50 more for premium on a long trip vs. what I normally spend here on 87 octane. For an 18 gallon tank, that's $9 more per fill-up, and THAT is significant to me. I don't mind paying for the performance either if you're talking about everyday driving. But to drop that extra money in a single day trip when I'm stuck droning along at 70mph.... well that's just a waste IMO.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

It seems if you were to add up that difference (usually $0.20 in the Northeast) over a year, that cost difference would really add up. For people whose jobs require and hour plus commute in the morning, I can see how they would object. However I could car less.

Kyler, I don't think it would be worth it to continuously flash the EEPROM. I mean, how many times are you talking about? I work with PROMS all day (BIOS) Some go bad after 2 or 3 flash cycles! If that were to happen, you'd have to open the thing up. What if it is soldered to the board? Then you'd have to replace the whole ECU assembly. I just don't think the savings in gas is really worth all the trouble.

·
Registered
895 Posts

If you add anything up it'll be a lot over time. My morning coffee is only .89c, but hey it adds up! That's $6500 over 20 years!

I suppose everything is relative. Do we really have an 18 gallon tank? If that $9 is something you think about when it comes to significant performance increases, then you probably shouldn't be messing with any sort of aftermarket upgrades.

Start driving more like grandma, you'll get great gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

20,000 miles per year @20 miles per gallon = 1000 gallons
1000 gallons @ + $0.20 per galon = $200
$200/52 weeks = $3.85 per week

Hardly earth shattering. JMHO

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Anyone know about how much this thing will cost?
The six has a knock sesor doesnt it? so if you tuned it for premium you could still get away with middle of the road stuff once in a while, as the ecu should back off timing, you'd lose the performance but who cares on a road trip with the cruise control set, so this could be ideal for the speed fans, and penny pinchers alike!

·
Registered
269 Posts

Do what I do... I have to put Premium in Our Jetta, and my sportbike... So I'll just use premium in the 6 too. I know this has been debated, but It says "premium fuel recomended" on the inside of my fuel door so that's what I'm going to do. That way when I do reflash my ECU it won't big a big change ;)

I don't know for sure what the cost will be, but the RSX guys are paying between $500-$600 for their flashes from Hondata. Sounds high, but they are getting around 20 HP from the flash and even more with I/H/E.

Jon

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

If you add anything up it'll be a lot over time.  My morning coffee is only .89c, but hey it adds up!  That's $6500 over 20 years!

I suppose everything is relative.  Do we really have an 18 gallon tank?  If that $9 is something you think about when it comes to significant performance increases, then you probably shouldn't be messing with any sort of aftermarket upgrades.

Start driving more like grandma, you'll get great gas mileage.[/b]
Originally posted by LBJay

Hardly earth shattering. JMHO[/b]
You guys have totally missed my point. I have NO problem filling with premium on a regular basis. But when I suck down two tanks of gas, each way, on a roadtrip, I may want the option of going with 87. And $0.20 isn't realistic unless you're talking about your local area. I know where the good gas prices are around here, and seeing that I drive through NJ and don't know any of the local areas, it's entirely possible for me to get screwed at some gas station just off the interstate with jacked up gas prices. I can honestly say I've seen approx a $0.50 difference between regular around here and premium off the highways in NJ. That's 25-35%, depending on the price. If you don't think 25-35% is much, try giving that to me out of your next paycheck. Here's some different math:

$1.39 (local regular) x 4 re-fills x 15 gallons (approx) = $83.40
$1.92 (travel premium) x 4 re-fills x 15 gallons (approx) = $115.20

Average difference of $0.20 extra over a year = no problem!
Difference of $32 over a 2-3 day period....well, I can think of other things to do with $30 on a trip.

It's not my requirement, I was just considering it a viable option for realistic savings on road trip occasions. I'm not harping on fuel economy and I don't intend to "drive like a grandma". Besides, what performance benefit do you get on an interstate with the cruise control set to 65 mph? I can think of plenty other places to take advantage of power increase from premium fuel.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

If you add anything up it'll be a lot over time.  My morning coffee is only .89c, but hey it adds up!  That's $6500 over 20 years!

I suppose everything is relative.  Do we really have an 18 gallon tank?  If that $9 is something you think about when it comes to significant performance increases, then you probably shouldn't be messing with any sort of aftermarket upgrades.

Start driving more like grandma, you'll get great gas mileage.[/b]
Originally posted by LBJay

Hardly earth shattering. JMHO[/b]
You guys have totally missed my point. I have NO problem filling with premium on a regular basis. But when I suck down two tanks of gas, each way, on a roadtrip, I may want the option of going with 87. And $0.20 isn't realistic unless you're talking about your local area. I know where the good gas prices are around here, and seeing that I drive through NJ and don't know any of the local areas, it's entirely possible for me to get screwed at some gas station just off the interstate with jacked up gas prices. I can honestly say I've seen approx a $0.50 difference between regular around here and premium off the highways in NJ. That's 25-35%, depending on the price. If you don't think 25-35% is much, try giving that to me out of your next paycheck. Here's some different math:

$1.39 (local regular) x 4 re-fills x 15 gallons (approx) = $83.40
$1.92 (travel premium) x 4 re-fills x 15 gallons (approx) = $115.20

Average difference of $0.20 extra over a year = no problem!
Difference of $32 over a 2-3 day period....well, I can think of other things to do with $30 on a trip.

It's not my requirement, I was just considering it a viable option for realistic savings on road trip occasions. I'm not harping on fuel economy and I don't intend to "drive like a grandma". Besides, what performance benefit do you get on an interstate with the cruise control set to 65 mph? I can think of plenty other places to take advantage of power increase from premium fuel.

[/b][/quote]

That might be your first problem; I hardly ever use CC, this car is too fun to drive!

And yes, you can have fun on the highway, grandma. :D

·
Registered
826 Posts

I'm with you kyler...

I'm more than happy to ante up for the good stuff when the extra power is fun, but I'd rather not HAVE to buy premium if I'm gonna be cruisin down the interstate at a constant speed...

BTW, how'd you like making the change from the Supra to the 6? I love my car, but it had to be tough making that transition...

·
Registered
6 Posts

A warning on Performance Chips!

On the Eclipse Boards we all now that an ECU boosting chip is total Bullshit because of our ECU's structure.... it doesnt like it. I dont know about the 6i or 6s ECU's but we (the eclipse board) didnt either until these company "MADE" chips that "WERE" said to boost performance. None of which did, Unless you see Dyno's and trusted members of your board with numbers... Dont trust what they say. Just like the POS tornado vortex bullship you see in info-merchals.... riight, like spinnign air will do anyting. The only spinning air gadget I trust is a Turbo or SuperCharger.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

And yes, you can have fun on the highway, grandma.  :D[/b]
And end up playing pinball with the guardrails. No thanks. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts