Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone....first time here. I browsed the site this morning and last night, but still have a question?

I wasn't able to find much about what performance brakes pads are available for the stock rotor/etc. and where they are available for the MS6. I've found lots of info on the reg. 6, but little on our car. Can anyone help of point me to the right thread or supplier. Thanks alot!

Schlot

·
Registered
185 Posts
mazda6online.com has the EBC Greenstuff pads for less than half the price of the carbotechs. I've had good luck with those pads on other vehicles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! The rpm stuff looked like full on rotor/caliper sets...and at some point I'd love to do that, but right now just want to upgrade pads. I've looked at the "green stuff" but not sure if those are quite "track day" oriented.

Schlot

·
Registered
364 Posts
only the pads are avail from therpmstore, and get the carbotech's, they are worth the extra few bucks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
only the pads are avail from therpmstore, and get the carbotech's, they are worth the extra few bucks.
[/b]
You call $100 more for front pads only an extra few bucks?!? I wish I had your money! LOL!

·
Registered
578 Posts
What about brake dust reduction? Is one pad better than the other?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Tried to order a set of greenstuff pads from mazda6online.com, but they are backordered and didn't give me an eta.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi everyone....first time here. I browsed the site this morning and last night, but still have a question?

I wasn't able to find much about what performance brakes pads are available for the stock rotor/etc. and where they are available for the MS6. I've found lots of info on the reg. 6, but little on our car. Can anyone help of point me to the right thread or supplier. Thanks alot!

Schlot [/b]
what year is your car? right now the supply of pads for the '06+ cars is rather small. They are different in the 06 models and the manufacturers are still catching up.
Carbotech's are available but are $99/per axle.......a little steep IMO

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Tried to order a set of greenstuff pads from mazda6online.com, but they are backordered and didn't give me an eta.
[/b]
That's cause you should have contacted RPM... ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts

Schlot
[/b]
Here you go...

EBC RedStuff review
Subaru RedStuff review
Rotora Upgraded brake rotors

I have the first set of EBC RedStuff available in the USA! So far impressed. :)

Contact this guy to try to get you a set if you are looking.

Bill Wyss
Brakes R Us
[email protected]
www.Brakesrus.com
Tel: 866-882-7253
Fax: 818-833-9426

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Schlot;

Unless your car is strictly for track use ONLY, do not listen to toybiz! Do NOT put red stuffs on any car to be driven on public roads, EVER!!! They are very very dangerous! They do not work properly until they are up to a specific temoerature. If your brake pads are ever cold, you WILL have an accident.

·
Registered
851 Posts
really is that so......so that's why they worked so well on my awd talon? your post sounds like it doesn't make the car stop at all when cold.....i'm sorry do you even know anything about cars or brakes?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
They didn't stop my evo when they were cold, and it almost caused an accident. I imediately changed them out with green stuffs.

And, yes. I am quite seasoned with automotive technology. I have modified more cars than most people have owned, and most to their maximum potential. None of the cars I have built have ever had problem other than factory part failer (which is to be expected when the limits of the stock components had not yet been determined). I like to be the first and/or only one to take things to the next level.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i have them on my shop car's evo(red stuff) and have yet to have a problem. even with this cold ass missouri weather. did you bed them in correctly? did you wipe the surface of the rotor down with brake parts cleaner? etc etc.
red stuff when it originally came out was designed for heavier cars. like the ms6 and evos.....
I've got a set of reds coming so i will let you know how it turns out.

taken from ebc site.

"For heavier faster cars and vehicles above 200bhp we strongly recommend Redstuff which DOES offer much less dust."

·
Registered
353 Posts
i have them on my shop car's evo(red stuff) and have yet to have a problem. even with this cold ass missouri weather. did you bed them in correctly? did you wipe the surface of the rotor down with brake parts cleaner? etc etc.
red stuff when it originally came out was designed for heavier cars. like the ms6 and evos.....
I've got a set of reds coming so i will let you know how it turns out.

taken from ebc site.

"For heavier faster cars and vehicles above 200bhp we strongly recommend Redstuff which DOES offer much less dust."
[/b]
I plan on getting Red Stuff for the MS6 and the Yellow Stuff for the Talon. Yellow stuff is pretty new but if it works as EBC says they do, should be pretty good even when cold.

As for red stuff not stopping a car, whatever. Lots of people use them on every day cars with no problems. I've driven and Evo and personally, I didnt like the brake pedal much because I had to put a lot more force on it to stop the car. Used to other cars where it does not take anything to push the brake pedal in. So the red stuff not stopping the Evo well I would say is more due to the brake force needed than the actual pads. My friend got used to driving with the pedal as I"m sure most people would. Thats just my opinion on why you "almost" had an accident because of the pads. Again, just my opinon. Shouldn't stop you or anyone else from buying/ not buying the pads. I"m getting red stuff for my car period, and yellow stuff for the talon.

·
Registered
851 Posts
exactly..well said. evo have a totally different brake feel, remember comparing ms6 to and evo is like comparing a 84 ford pinto to a ferrari enzo.

the yellow stuff is pretty aggressive, but heard you can still run it on the street.I run axis track stuff on my talon with rotora 4pot calipers which i have been told have been similar to the yellow stuff. when you get yours in and try it let me know how they do, I need new pads for next season and the price difference is good enough to make me switch brands.

also cars are going to stop with a good pad, cold or not. when you switch to a pad you have got to use common sense and go hey maybe i need to figure out how my car is going to stop now......don't have a 'dee de dee' moment.

I've got reds on the way, i've had good results with it....

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
exactly..well said. evo have a totally different brake feel, remember comparing ms6 to and evo is like comparing a 84 ford pinto to a ferrari enzo.
[/b]
That makes absolutely no sence what-so-ever. Anybody who thinks an evo is inferior to an ms6 in any aspect of performance is far mistaken, braking included. If you drove one and thought the brakes were lacking, then you obviously drove an abused evo. In fact that is highly likely. The stock pads are only good for about 3000 miles if agressively driven, and I know that nobody test drives an evo like a grandma.

If you like the red stuffs, fine. Go for it. I was just trying to warn peolpe of my experience with them. Don't get me wrong, they work great on tracks and bite harder than any others I've tried, but they would never stop me when they were cold. Friends of mine have had the same experience with them on their cars. The only thing that would make any sence of this is maybe after some complaints they changed the formula slightly. I know when I got mine, there was a little peice of paper in each box that specifically stated not to use them on the street because they were designed for track use only.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ok so your comparing single piston sliding calipers to true 4 piston brembos?
I drive an evo just about everyday, it's one of my 'company' cars. along with some other vehicles. and trust me it gets put through it's paces

I never said either was lacking or inferior. I stated evo's have a different feel to them...pay attention
again comparing an evo to a ms6 is apples and oranges, they were made to compete in 2 totally different markets and were marketed toward different crowds of people.

and about that track use only paper....i'm pretty sure that there are a lot of other things that are for track use only..ie test pipes....

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Pay attention...I was just offering a warning to potential buyers that I had a bad experience with red stuff pads. Be it a faulty set of pads, a change in the compound, whatever. I'm sorry if you are offended by that, but that is the truth.

DONE!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts