Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up all. today i had a drive about 15 min on local streets then 35 min on highway then back on local streets for about 15 min. boost gauge read like this 1st 15 psi 2nd 13 psi 3rd 13 4th 15 5th 14. i could get it to boost to 15 in all gears but that was driving hard. shifting easy out of first into second then stomp on gas it only boosted to 13. this happened the whole ride. has anyone else experience this is it the cold air it was about 30 outside today. Had re flash and have cpe intake.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Check to make sure the hose has no bends on it or anything that will restrict air flow.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I get the same thing. When at WOT starting in 1st then i usually only boost around 14 until 5th, where i will go to my regular of 16. WOT in second gear on will yeild 16psi all the way, I'm not sure why this is happening.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The last few months, it has been 30F~40F here, and I've also noticed lower boost levels (around 13psi instead of 15psi).

I'm assuming that the ECU is reducing the peak boost levels a bit because the colder air is denser. I am a bit surprised that this is occuring at 40F temperatures-- I would have expected much colder temperatures before noticable boost reduction.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The last few months, it has been 30F~40F here, and I've also noticed lower boost levels (around 13psi instead of 15psi).

I'm assuming that the ECU is reducing the peak boost levels a bit because the colder air is denser. I am a bit surprised that this is occuring at 40F temperatures-- I would have expected much colder temperatures before noticable boost reduction.
[/b]
On my way to work yesterday I noticed no difference in boost levels, and it was around 15 degrees outside.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thnx for sharing. glade it isn't only me. (this sux) dens air is making the ecu cut boost great whats next. and yes i did check the hose no kinks.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I haven't noticed my boost being, but I did hit fuel cut for the first time yesterday when it was about 25deg. I'm sure it's just the cold, but it's going to suck not being able to go WOT until I get a new boost controller.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
sorry for bringing back a mildly dead thread. however i believe i have experienced this also. i have no boost gauge yet tonight i was driving with a friend who has a saab. normally i would pull hard from him, however tonight 28 degrees i would only pull a bit on him. and then he would stick with me for awhile. either way, his car was either running like a beast, or mine was running with a little less boost.

·
Registered
856 Posts
sorry for bringing back a mildly dead thread. however i believe i have experienced this also. i have no boost gauge yet tonight i was driving with a friend who has a saab. normally i would pull hard from him, however tonight 28 degrees i would only pull a bit on him. and then he would stick with me for awhile. either way, his car was either running like a beast, or mine was running with a little less boost.
[/b]
I've noticed mine doesn't spike quite as high and I run about 1lb less in the cold (<45 degrees).
I'm thinking a boost controller should be on order....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doesn't it not really matter if you lose a little boost in cold weather as far as power goes? You may have 10% less boost but the air is a hell of a lot better so doesn't it probably even out?

not to mention the fact that the intercooler probably works much better in the cold temps too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
^^ Thats a good point.

My boost is lowered by 2 - 3 psi in colder than 40 degrees. AND I have a mbc..

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Doesn't it not really matter if you lose a little boost in cold weather as far as power goes? You may have 10% less boost but the air is a hell of a lot better so doesn't it probably even out?

not to mention the fact that the intercooler probably works much better in the cold temps too.
[/b]
well basically either installing fujita cia made med lose 20-30 hp, or it made a difference. i would like to hope install cia didnt make my car lose power.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
well basically either installing fujita cia made med lose 20-30 hp, or it made a difference. i would like to hope install cia didnt make my car lose power. [/b]
WTF does that mean and how does it apply to this conversation?!?! NONE has mentioned a CAI yet....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
WTF does that mean and how does it apply to this conversation?!?! NONE has mentioned a CAI yet....
[/b]

that is EXACTLY my point. the only thing that has changed is installing a fujita and the weather dropping like 25 degrees. so i'm saying its one or the other. and i highly doubt its the fujita

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been lurking on this thread for a bit, because I thought I saw slightly lower boost in cold weather, using my scangauge. I'd usually get 30.2 psi as my Manifold pressure (so subtract atmostphere, 30.2 - 14.7 = 15.5 psi). In colder weather it'd be around 29.x or so.

2 weeks ago, the morning before I left for vacation, I installed my Fujita CAI, and barely drove 5 miles on it...before I had to leave for Florida. Well on boost I'd see 30.2 for a second, then it would quickly drop to ~27.x and stay there...full throttle 2nd or 3rd gear right in the meaty part of the power band where I usually get tons of boost and torque.

The weather was about 40 degrees, my intake air temps where about the same as when I'd get the 29.x psi. So I've been thinking this over in the back of my mind for a while now.

Did I install the filter too far up on the neck of the CAI (a possibility), is the computer simply learning new airflow (it was really only driven on ONE startup)...or did I magically develop a boost leak? Anyone have ideas? Obviously I need to drive the car more, but as soon as you guys mentioned the CAI as a possibilty...I had to ask too.

That said, our cars really do make a huuuuuge sucking sound, BOV sounds great, and hearing the turbo finally is a nice change.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've been lurking on this thread for a bit, because I thought I saw slightly lower boost in cold weather, using my scangauge. I'd usually get 30.2 psi as my Manifold pressure (so subtract atmostphere, 30.2 - 14.7 = 15.5 psi). In colder weather it'd be around 29.x or so.

2 weeks ago, the morning before I left for vacation, I installed my Fujita CAI, and barely drove 5 miles on it...before I had to leave for Florida. Well on boost I'd see 30.2 for a second, then it would quickly drop to ~27.x and stay there...full throttle 2nd or 3rd gear right in the meaty part of the power band where I usually get tons of boost and torque.

The weather was about 40 degrees, my intake air temps where about the same as when I'd get the 29.x psi. So I've been thinking this over in the back of my mind for a while now.

Did I install the filter too far up on the neck of the CAI (a possibility), is the computer simply learning new airflow (it was really only driven on ONE startup)...or did I magically develop a boost leak? Anyone have ideas? Obviously I need to drive the car more, but as soon as you guys mentioned the CAI as a possibilty...I had to ask too.

That said, our cars really do make a huuuuuge sucking sound, BOV sounds great, and hearing the turbo finally is a nice change.
[/b]
i'm wondering how much of a difference that makes? i have never installed a cia on a car, and i do specifically remember mounting the filter really high on piping? this makes a difference? i dont have a scangauge, so its a little hard for me to say anything without driving with my friend again.

oh and yes hearing the turbo and bov is awesome. but not at the expense of losing 2 psi and 200 dollars.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
so anybody else notice anything off a bit??

oh and i checked my filter. it was high on the piping, but i dont know if it made any difference

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey, just got back home today. Filter was about an inch up, so I just retorqued it and drove for a while. I'm seeing almost the same boost I had before, with 50 degree air today. Maybe ~28.6 or so.

I didn't have enough open road to draw a conclusion, but I'm hoping the ECU is just figuring out the new Air/fuel mix.

Though I must note that I think I saw a very visible black fuel cloud behind me on hard acceleration from ~2500 rpm in 2nd. Good thing there is an unlimited supply of oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts