Mazda 6 Forums banner

Pedal Commander PC41-BT review

9K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
So after finding out that Orange Virus was not going to tune Mazdas anymore, I decided I still needed to do something about the power delivery on my 2018 Grand Touring. One of the biggest complaints I have with a 2.5 Turbo is the throttle seems kind of dead down low. One of the nicest things about the OV tune on my CX-3 and the Stratified tune on my Mazdaspeed 3 were the adjustments made to the throttle to make it more responsive. I decided to go ahead and get a Pedal Commander and give it a try. It makes a world of difference! I haven't played with any modes above City, but I think playing around in City mode will make most people happy. I have mine in City with no plus or minus and to me it is perfect. Some people may need to have a -1 or a -2. It was really easy to install though things are kind of tight once you get the wiring on. it's a good thing it's Bluetooth and you can download an app on your phone to control it. The only way to get it connected is to unbolt the pedal from the floorboard and do it that way. I had to do a little trimming on the retainer of the part of the wiring harness that connects to the factory harness to make it set in real good, but that was no problem. Probably just do to manufacturing variances.

The app works really well but I found out that if you try to give your Pedal Commander a name that's very long it will close the app so try to keep it at two words maximum.

Of course it doesn't give you any horsepower but it will make your car so much more responsive and feel like it should. The turbo spools quicker and is just much more enjoyable to drive.

See less See more
#2 ·
For reference, City mode (no plus or minus) is an adjustment of 25% more sensitivity. This is about what OV would give you at the top of their adjustment if you got the optional throttle adjustment to the tune.

Reactions: dcoulombe
#3 ·
Thanks for posting this, it sounds interesting.

I most want a more responsive throttle, especially jumping from low RPM. I was interested in an OVTune for that, maybe this would do the job.

(I can't stand the "Sport" mode in my 2018 2.5T - it just seems to make the car idle toward 3000rpm, and whiny.)

In this thread, you mention a sale price and a coupon, for $263 -
https://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-turbo-i-4/436686-ov-tuning-looking-local-m6-turbo-4.html

Pedal Commander's site has the product listed at $329 right now -
https://www.pedalcommander.com/product/pedal-commander-p4-pc41/?motor=2.5L&v=7516fd43adaa

Can you share any more info for this additional coupon discount/etc ?

thanks

#4 ·
Thanks for posting this, it sounds interesting.

I most want a more responsive throttle, especially jumping from low RPM. I was interested in an OVTune for that, maybe this would do the job.

(I can't stand the "Sport" mode in my 2018 2.5T - it just seems to make the car idle-up around 3000rpm, and whiny.)

In this thread, you mention a sale price and a coupon, for $263 -
https://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-turbo-i-4/436686-ov-tuning-looking-local-m6-turbo-4.html

Pedal Commander's site has the product listed at $329 right now -
https://www.pedalcommander.com/product/pedal-commander-p4-pc41/?motor=2.5L&v=7516fd43adaa

Can you share any more info for this additional coupon discount/etc ?

thanks
Yea, I am not real fond of Sport Mode as it comes from the factory either. The only recent Mazda that I have driven that actually seems to have Sport Mode down right is the 2018 3 Sedan with the 2.5 owned by my fiancée.

They are currently offering 20% off. Use the code XMAS20. Plus, you can find the unit on Amazon as well. Just search for the Pedal Commander PC41-DT.

#6 ·
I tucked it up under the dash and use the app on my phone to control it via Bluetooth.

Reactions: jim94610
#7 ·
Thanks for your review. I ended up purchasing one through Amazon for $260. Like you, I wasn't too thrilled with the cars responsiveness down low due to the drive by wire. This completely fixed it (in my opinion) using the City mode with the 20% throttle increase compared to stock. The car feels "tuned" now and I'm thoroughly impressed. With my muffler delete and SRI, the car just sounds alive now and has so much pep. Highly recommended for our 2.5 turbo brethren!

#8 ·
It really does make a world of difference. And I'm glad you're like me and you feel that City mode with no plus or minus seems perfect. Some people might think it's a little too touchy and might choose -1 or -2, but I really like the added responsiveness of just plain City mode.

I've also noticed that it gets you into the torque peak a lot quicker because it helps spool the turbo quicker and the car actually doesn't really need to downshift for passing a lot of times. It's really nice.

#9 ·
Thanks for the review and sharing of this product, TORQUERULES. I'm always interested in more performance.

But, I'm always a bit skeptical on these electronic plug n play gadgets. I'd be curious to see some 0-60 times before and after the install of the Pedal Commander.

:cheers:

#14 ·
To be honest, I would think there would have to be an improvement due to being able to get into the powerband quicker. Now, if you ramped up the sensitivity too high, they you would get too much tire spin and the traction/stability control would kill your fun and probably make it slower. That is why I like the city setting with no plus or minus the best. Seems to be a nice balance.

#10 ·
so would this also work with me manual Sport model?

#12 ·
Yep.

#13 ·
Not that I have noticed in daily driving.

#16 ·
I have heard that the 20% to 25% range of "Throttle Mapping" - is the golden number. I would think it'd be too jumpy, higher than this (for an automatic transmissioned car). The application to a manual trans car is much more controlable, I would think (what with your foot being able to control that other primary factor... the clutch)... but 20 or 25% "gain" may indeed be the sweet spot.

Other: I would have to think that there would be a minor increase in gasoline consumption... but that is not a factor for me at all. Rather, driveability improvement is PRIMARY for me.

Thanks for the review.

#17 ·
From the reviews and talks on this thread and "My OV Tune Review" thread, I took the chance and purchased one of these Pedal Commanders. I've only had it installed for a couple days now, with mainly commutes to and from work, but wow, what a different in pedal sensitivity/throttle response. Definitely feels better than stock.

I concur that the City mode with no +/- is the best setting for normal commuting, so the pedal is not overly touchy...+1 on City is good as well. As stated before, the throttle feels as it should have from factory, no lag or sometimes sloppy pedal feeling. The sensitivity in Sport, especially Sport+ is a bit crazy, but can be fun for short bursts (open country roads or on the track). Once I have it for a week or two, and have time to play around with it more, I will have a really good feel for this thing. But so far, I'm really enjoying it.

I'd also like to see if it actually changes the 0-60 times, which I'm still not sure. I've recorded a decent amount of runs since April, on a couple roads near me with some pretty consistent times. But, I usually launch it and ease into full throttle to try and avoid wheel spin or wheel hop. I'm curious if the Pedal Commander would change it since the throttle is already opened up during the launch. Next time I am able to, I'll do a few runs and see if there is any difference.

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT
#18 ·
I was on City +1 for quite a while, but OVT tune #2 upped the response enough through a significant torque increase, that I had to set it back to City with no +/- and now it is perfect again.

#22 ·
Meaning how effectively does it work on an automatic versus a 6MT? There would appear to be differences. One individual presumably with an automatic liked it but for its operation while in reverse-gear. I know there are settings for the "gain" and these can be played with - but in general can it boost throttle sensitivity too much, say, for a 6MT versus for a 6AT?

#23 ·
I doubt theres any difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.