Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I was experimenting with some pearl paint and fiberglass this weekend and below is the turnout. It was my first time doing any bondo and fiberglass work so I'm not fully happy with the turnout but it was a learning experience. I know I didn't get the center portion fully smooth and as such you can see the ripples in the clearcoat. The only thing I can't understand is why I have that black blotch in the upper right-hand corner. If there are any painters here please tell me what happened. I noticed it when the painted dried. I did put primer beforehand.

Let me know what you gusy think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Lol.. not a bad job for first timers i guess..... :nana:

The before pic is what you have right now..... the stock black plastic....

·
Registered
234 Posts
looks good :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
mlai, i must know what kinda paint you used to do that engine cover. that is freakin sweet. i like how u matched it up with the oil dispstick (details=1337) it'd be a nice little project for me to undertake to alleviate the boredom summer has brought me cuz ive wanted to do it for a long time(since like october lol)

mazda6mtx, you did a good job too. it looks like a good match for a silver car(as far i can tell from the pic) if you wanted to go for a uniform look btwn engine and car.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mlai I love your engine cover, that is hands down better than mine.

techzilla627 thanks for the compliments. My car is Steel Grey though. The paint was supposed to come out totally different from what the box illustrated.

I think I might paint it again to look like mlai, but I think I'll try 2 different kinds of pearl.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Can't say I like it, thought novel idea.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I wouldnt mind getting a Carbon Fiber cover and then sectioning off some part of it and sanding it down, primering, 3 coats of performance white and 6 coats of clear. Just let the motor run for a nice baked on finish.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Originally posted by techzilla627@Jul 18 2005, 11:45 PM
mlai, i must know what kinda paint you used to do that engine cover.  that is freakin sweet.  i like how u matched it up with the oil dispstick (details=1337) it'd be a nice little project for me to undertake to alleviate the boredom summer has brought me cuz ive wanted to do it for a long time(since like october lol)

mazda6mtx, you did a good job too.  it looks like a good match for a silver car(as far i can tell from the pic) if you wanted to go for a uniform look btwn engine and car.
[snapback]460033[/snapback]​
Thanks for the compliments. Here is a picture of the stuffs I used. Easier to explain this way ;)

:drool:

Step by step instruction.
1. Remove engine cover and oil dipstick from the car. :goon:
2. Clean the dust and oil with some mild cleaner and alcohol solution.
3. Sand the surface with some fine grade sand paper. (optional)
4. Clean surface again.
5. Mask area with masking tape.
6. Spray first coat of Aluminum paint. (thin layer only)
7. Let dry for 10-15 mins.
8. Second coat
9. Third coat (optional) I used three coat of Aluminum and two coat of Clearcoat
10. Clear coat
11. Let dry for at least 2 hour before putting back on. :yesnod:
12. Use sharpie to paint the lettering.

I get the engine enamel paints from Advance auto , sharpie from hobby lobby and masking tape from Ace Hardware. :)

Let me know if you still have any question.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
1 question, what is glob there? they are so common with painted engine cover.... is that supposed to be there on the engine cover?

btw, what did you guys put for the mazda symbol? is it supposed to be like that? it's been a while since i open up my hood... lol...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Originally posted by t_mo_t@Jul 25 2005, 01:10 AM
1 question, what is glob there? they are so common with painted engine cover.... is that supposed to be there on the engine cover?

btw, what did you guys put for the mazda symbol? is it supposed to be like that? it's been a while since i open up my hood... lol...
[snapback]466075[/snapback]​

We didn't do anything to the Mazda symbol. It is the way it is. :nana:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
mlai
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing