Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much use for those of us still under warranty, but for those who have already voided it:

http://www.nology.com/pdadyno.html

I would only recommend it for those, like me, who already have a PDA, because otherwise, you can just buy the G-Tech Pro for 1/4 mile time and on-road dynos. Yet the G-Tech doesn't include a scan tool for all of our CELs.

Checking out CELs can get pretty expensive too, at my job (Pep Boys) we charge $70 a scan/reset, so this is a good investment I believe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic 'PDA Dyno & CEL Scan Tool'

That is a nice toy. DO you have this software and if so how close to a real dyno is this. I would not mind getting this even if it is not good I am just a gadget freak. I have a palm m515.:D

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: PDA Dyno & CEL Scan Tool

I would of bought it already, but my dad just had to buy a Sharp Zaraus that DOES NOT run Palm OS, instead runs Java, the website says it runs on Palm OS only.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Thanks man just asking. Do you have a G-tech or any kind of self help tool for gains?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Nope, was about to get the G-Tech for the truck, but since that is no more, I'm probably going to wait until I actually start working on the 6 before I buy it. I hear G-Tech is pretty accurate though.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by DennyA

So just plugging this in would void your warranty?[/b]
Of course not, but all the CEL code checks and resets have been done at the dealership for free, under warranty correct?

So for those who already have voided their warranty and already have a PDA, this is a great tool considering two things:

- Places like Pep Boys charges you $70 for a CEL code check and/or reset

- Snap-On and other major tool names, sell their scanners for upwards of $2,500

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

is there anything similar that hooks up to the Notebook? i have a Notebook , but not a PDA.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

I too have a notebook and I know they make software like that but I am not sure what it is.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

oops sorry for being a post whore, but did anyone read the site... did you get to the little part on the bottom which states... This does NOT work on the following cars. Our little Mazda 6 is listed there.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Has anyone seen the ECU Connector yet? I am guessing it is not standard OBD-II if it is the "CAN Protocol" which appears to be the "Controller Area Network". Info Here and Here

This may be the reason why it is taking so long to chip the Mazda 6. It appears that they are trying to sell this CAN system as the "Future of Automotive Electronics". It appears that it is already in the Nissan 350Z the Saturn ION (God I hate that car); the Saab 9-3 and several Ford Trucks and the Focus. At least it looks like several Car Manufacturers are starting to use it so its not just a Mazda proprietary thing.

Does anyone have more info on this sytstem? I am going to start researching those sites for more info. Also appreciated would be pictures of the "USB Connector" someone said our car has under the dash and/or the standard Computer Connector our car has (If it has one). If our car is not standard OBD-II compliant, that makes getting your own code reader a real PITA.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Seems Can was developed by Bosch: http://www.can.bosch.com/

There are data sheets available. Maybe it would possible to write some software. Man I certainly don't have the time and resources. Between work and my band, maybe I can try to devote some weekend time to learning how to read and interface with the CAN protcol. I should've taken some courses in networking. Now I program all day in Assembly. :sarc

·
Registered
628 Posts

Seriously, Can someone with a digital camera stick their head under the dash and take a pic of the connector? I would like to see if it is the OBDII connector or what.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

If I can remember, I'll do it tonight.

But there are some "college residuals" that make me forget things sometimes. :)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Ok, so I took a picture, but forgot to post it. When I get home tonight, I'll put it up. BTW, I'm pretty sure it looked like this though: http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

So it might not be the connector that's the problem, more just the protocol on how to talk to the system.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Originally posted by g-cubed

oops sorry for being a post whore, but did anyone read the site... did you get to the little part on the bottom which states... This does NOT work on the following cars. Our little Mazda 6 is listed there.[/b]
Yep

1 - 17 of 17 Posts