Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Went to advance on sunday to replace Kris's 2.3L PCV. not only is a nightmare to get to, but it also isn't something that auto parts sell. I ended up getting a inline PCV, gutted the stocker, and rerouted the hose so that the new inline PCV was easy to access.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Went to advance on sunday to replace Kris's 2.3L PCV. not only is a nightmare to get to, but it also isn't something that auto parts sell. I ended up getting a inline PCV, gutted the stocker, and rerouted the hose so that the new inline PCV was easy to access.
Do you have pics? I've considered doing something similar. I freakin' hate removing the IM to inspect/replace the PCV valve.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Do you have pics? I've considered doing something similar. I freakin' hate removing the IM to inspect/replace the PCV valve.
^^^+1 on this^^^

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Remember, MD's is a check valve, intended to keep boost out of the OCC. A good PCV needs to have lighter, faster action.

A decent upgrade, lacking only the 90* bend, is the all metal PCV from the twin turbo toyota supra. Purolator part# PV-1009, less than $2 at your local parts joint...

Buy Purolator PCV Valve PV1009 at Advance Auto Parts

Reactions: oh_yeams6

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remember, MD's is a check valve, intended to keep boost out of the OCC. A good PCV needs to have lighter, faster action.

A decent upgrade, lacking only the 90* bend, is the all metal PCV from the twin turbo toyota supra. Purolator part# PV-1009, less than $2 at your local parts joint...

Buy Purolator PCV Valve PV1009 at Advance Auto Parts
So where would we run this? In place of the OEM PCV valve with a 90 degree piece? I believe I am running two PCV valves on my OCC setup, so basically I am looking to either replace both with OEM (or something better)

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Only easy way is what flipper mentioned earlier

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Reactions: SonicNutrition

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn't take any, but I will when Chris comes over to replace his rear motor mount, install his spin on conversion, and fix his headlights.... either this weekend or next.
Will definitely be keeping an eye out for this.

·
Registered
611 Posts
There's a big difference between replacing your stock PCV and adding another to your 2nd OCC line. I replaced my stock with another OEM like in the write up Ti posted. I also have an additional on my other OCC line. I would recommend pulling the IM and doing both at the same time.

I have an extra retainer clip and O ring for the stock PCV if any one needs it, I got mine off pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a big difference between replacing your stock PCV and adding another to your 2nd OCC line. I replaced my stock with another OEM like in the write up Ti posted. I also have an additional on my other OCC line. I would recommend pulling the IM and doing both at the same time.

I have an extra retainer clip and O ring for the stock PCV if any one needs it, I got mine off pretty easy.
I assume you are referring to this piece?

What is the best way to get that thing off? I just put a second PCV in, I need to replace the stocker....

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I assume you are referring to this piece?

What is the best way to get that thing off? I just put a second PCV in, I need to replace the stocker....
Pry on it with a utility knife. Don't worry about pressing on the tabs. Just pry and separate.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I took some pliers and pressed the outside to get over the tabs and twisted with the pliers in my hand. Spun right off.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Ahhhhh, the retainer clip. A lot of people struggle with taking it off.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
It's fun to get off, but not all that hard. Just remember to be somewhat delicate, cause if you screw up that retainer you're screwed till you get a replacement.

It's a very inexpensive part, worth having on the shelf if you're concerned about it, like having a backup IM gasket...

Reactions: daztd

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would really like to do the How To Change stock PCV Valve + Venturi Set Up how ever I am new at all this. I was wondering if someone can explain to me what all this does for me. I understand that oil bypasses the engine and gets into the exhaust manifold and all that. How does all this help. I want to install the Corksport OCC when doing all this. Should I also buy the ERG block off kit from here? EGR Block Off Kit MS6 [EGRBO] - $20.00 : James Barone Racing, Custom Fabrication
Any information that you pros could enlighten me with would be greatly appreciated. Are any of you located in Utah?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Well first of all do you know the purpose of an OCC? An OCC well, catches the oil that gets spit into your intake tract through your PCV valve, and I'm sure you can imagine the problems this would cause, gumming up all the moving parts in the intake tract (intake manifold, not exhaust manifold like you had stated) you can think of.

The purpose for the particular method in the DIY you linked was stated about halfway down the instructions on the first post, see below.

P.S. the JBR block off plate is a great product, they make great pieces of engineering for the speed platform.

I hope you understand the difference between your PCV valve and your EGR valve. PCV relieves (oil) pressure in the crank case, and vents it to your intake manifold (bad), or you can re route it to a catch can to "catch" all that nasty gunk (good).

EGR valve is for emissions purposes only and all it does is pump inert exhaust gasses back into your cylinders (bad), or you can block it off to prevent your engine from chocking on these gasses (good/better for performance...screw emissions!).

Good luck, welcome to the modding scene...be prepared to have a fat wallet or a black/gold credit card! :D

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was wondering if that twin turbo supra pcv would also work on the 2.3 na. I don't know how different the PVC is, just looking for a better design and won't be running it under the intake Mani. Just got an 06 Mazda 6 and trying to mod it to eleviate these ridiculous oilproblems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts