Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not physically from the tower itself, but it's generating noises that are coming through the audio output. I haven't changed the physical configuration of the PC, monitor, amp/speakers, cables, equipment in the room or anything since I set this PC up like last summer, and it started doing this a month or two ago. It's a high-pitched whine that is constant when there's little activity, but when scroling it will either stop or modulate with a low-pitch hum until the motion stops and then return to a whine. If I grab a scroll bar, turn the monitor off (LCD) and drag scroll it behaves the same. Moving the mouse around will also cause a bit of hum. Briefly, maximizing/minimizing windows would cause a "whoop" that would match the zooming, like an unintentional sound theme, but it hasn't done it lately.

I figure it's a longshot that anyone else has experienced this or has any advice for how to try to correct it, but since it doesn't cost anything to ask for computer help here... any ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Hm, Im not an expert, but I had a co-worker's son that set up a speaker system in someone's dormroom. Something similiar was happening to his speakers too. But in going through the troubleshooting with logitech's site, it turned out that there were too many plugs plugged in the same extension cord/power strips and the multiple power cords "interfered" with the speaker in some way. And what they did was plug the speakers in a different outlet with less power cords running from it.

Hope that solves the problem!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Try the obvious things first (I'm sure you know what those are). This can be caused by a grounding problem. Is this a custom PC or name brand? Also, do you have a USB mouse, or PS/2? I have seen the USB interface actually interfere with sound cards before. I have also seen them knock out wireless network connections. If your Universal Serial Bus (USB) is causing the problem (and it is integrated), there's not much you can do except go to the manufacturer. I have tried to shield it, but I was never successful at that. You could also try buying a separate sound card to see if that works. It could be a bunch of things... I have even seen incorrect drivers cause problems that you would think is a hardware problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think that austinhusker's gerbil is loose in your speakers. Clicky

On a more serious note, it sounds like there is a short of some sort with your sound card/speakers. I'd say try other speakers first... if that doesn't fix it, swap soundcards...

So many suggestions... which one will be the correct answer? The suspense is killing me

·
Registered
461 Posts
I get the same kind of noise from my pc when my cell or nextell radio goes off.
[/b]
That will happen with most unshielded speakers.

The fact he says it is very responsive to the user input is what makes me think that it's a deeper problem than the speakers.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Most low end integrated sound cards will do that. If you go out and buy a sound blaster you should be all set.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Most low end integrated sound cards will do that. If you go out and buy a sound blaster you should be all set.
[/b]
I must disagree. This problem is usually caused by interference or a grounding issue. I have seen many low-end, integrated sound cards that perform just fine. However, they are usually more susceptible to receiving and reacting to the interference. I do agree that a new sound card will likely fix the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, first off I think I know what you are talking about. Mine does this when a CD spins up in the drive, it's right in tune with the speed of the CD.

Like others have said it could also be a grounding problem.

I've learned to live with the quirkyness of my computer, it's a homebuilt, and I really don't hear anything from my system with the loudness of it's fans.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the replies. The PC is a Compaq tower I bought at Staples, and like I said, I haven't changed anything about the hardware or the wiring since I bought it last summer/fall. Nothing has changed with the wiring/electric load in my house. I bet if I could roll back to when the PC was brand new it would go away (remember when you used to get the OS on diskettes?), but I also bet I stand little chance of trying to "repair" the infinite combinations of drivers, plugins, windows updates, and god knows what else has installed itself to cause this situation. It's annoying, my hearing is the one body part that hasn't failed me in my middle age so I'm really sensitive to all the unintended sound effects while trying to listen to music, watch all the wonderful videos posted here, etc. :/

It's a "Realtek AC'97 Audio" soundcard if I can believe my mycomputer/device manager. I'm not about to start swapping cards.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't freaking believe this - I just tried disabling the sound card, looking for an updated driver (none to be found of course), re-enabling the sound card, blasting an mp3 and it seems to have made the "interference" go away - but now all the fonts in my browser pages are supersized. WTF?? :huh:

I have McAfee SonicWall and I know it works because it caught the frame viruses that were attached to this site like last week :)
--
EDIT - never mind, it came back after a few minutes.... my fonts are still f'd up

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't freaking believe this - I just tried disabling the sound card, looking for an updated driver (none to be found of course), re-enabling the sound card, blasting an mp3 and it seems to have made the "interference" go away - but now all the fonts in my browser pages are supersized. WTF?? :huh:

I have McAfee SonicWall and I know it works because it caught the frame viruses that were attached to this site like last week :)
--
EDIT - never mind, it came back after a few minutes.... my fonts are still f'd up
[/b]

HAHA, A Compaq you bought from Staples? did you get the extended warranty? If so then if any hardware is needed I'll probably be the guy sending the parts out to you. I work for a warranty company in new orleans and Staples is one of the contracts that we deal with.

Anyway, if you uninstalled and reinstalled the card and it went away, then you could have driver issues, or something else causing it. When was the last time that you ran recovery / reloaded windows? I would back up your stuff and try that and see what happens.

As for the supersized text, hold Ctrl and use the scroll wheel on the mouse to adjust the font size on webpages.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine does the same thing. The tones change when I scroll up or down on the mouse. I have to have the speakers turned way up to hear it. They are cheap speakers, so I'm not really expecting much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
mouse farts
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing