Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a shop around the corner that is quoting me some excellent prices for PBR pads. I have never heard of them before, but in the brief research I have done, nobody seems to be complaining about them either.

The woman that quoted me confused me a little, and would like some clarification.

She quoted me three different materials for brakes:

Organic - says that these are the quietest, and produce very little dust. These are also the most expensive.

Semi-metallic - says that these produce less dust than the ceramics, but can be noisy

Ceramic - says that these produce the most dust, but definitely far less than the OEM pads. She said that these were for aggressive driving, and would give me the most stopping power.

I am mounting them on Magnum cadmium cross-drilled rotors on front and rear.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
578 Posts
PBR = Pabst Blue Ribbon ? :)

Ceramic pads have the most consistent feel when braking, produce less noise in most situations and induce less wear on the surface of the rotors than semi-metallic. I have no experience with organic pads so I can't comment on those. If it were me, I would stick with the ceramics.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
There is a shop around the corner that is quoting me some excellent prices for PBR pads. I have never heard of them before, but in the brief research I have done, nobody seems to be complaining about them either.

The woman that quoted me confused me a little, and would like some clarification.

She quoted me three different materials for brakes:

Ceramic - says that these produce the most dust, but definitely far less than the OEM pads. She said that these were for aggressive driving, and would give me the most stopping power.

I am mounting them on Magnum cadmium cross-drilled rotors on front and rear.

Please let me know your thoughts?
[/b]
PBR are the same as Axxis, which are the same as Australian Bendix. (Australian Bendix has some common shareholders as North American Bendix, which is a subsidiary of Allied Signal, but operationally the companies are distinct.)

Arguably, the PBR/Axxis Ultimate pads (which are "Kevlar/ceramic") are the very best street pads available in fittings for the Mazda6. The Ultimates are very highly regarded. Other Axxis/PBR pads (that is, the Deluxe and Metal Masters) are nowhere near as highly regarded as the Ultimates.

(The Ultimates are more highly regarded, incidentally, than cross-drilled rotors.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(The Ultimates are more highly regarded, incidentally, than cross-drilled rotors.)
[/b]
Thanks for the information - I feel better now as I have never heard of the PBR brake pads before. At least I know I am getting a reasonable product.

The company in Scarborough is giving me a great price for the rotors, pads and installation ($450 CAD).

I'm getting the cross drilled rotors cadmium plated for the Canadian winters as the OEM rotors look horrible after their first winter. I'm getting the cross drilled pattern because I like the look of it, regardless if it decreases surface area. In my mind, the grippier ceramic pads should compensate this making it even or better than the OEM setup.

Thanks!

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.