Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been extremely curious in my search for the latest ambitions for Mazda where I stumbled upon this site which updates patents daily.

There's some interesting stuff here if you take the time to analyze each filing.

See different files for HGCCI and the components which make it possible. Also, an 8 speed automatic transmission??

There's loads of good stuff here.

Mazda Motor Corporation patents list (updated weekly)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The 2nd gen Sky-Activ will be using HCCI to get more efficiency. It's currently going through extended testing to make sure it'll be durable. Look for motor specs next year.

The 8spd auto doesn't surprise me. Another effort to meet CAFE requirements in the near future, should pick up another 10% in economy. Just glad they're not going to waste time with CVTs... I hate those things.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2nd gen Sky-Activ will be using HCCI to get more efficiency. It's currently going through extended testing to make sure it'll be durable. Look for motor specs next year.

The 8spd auto doesn't surprise me. Another effort to meet CAFE requirements in the near future, should pick up another 10% in economy. Just glad they're not going to waste time with CVTs... I hate those things.
Mazda has expressed their distaste for CVTs. I hate them..

It looks like they're putting together a new design for their automatic gear selectors much like what's in today's BMWs. There's a few different design applications but this is the first I found.

Images - Patent # US20150266376A1

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's most interesting to me, is the amount of different applications submitted in the past year regarding, what looks to be different designs for parts of a diesel engine. As if they're still hard at work trying to bring the diesel stateside. There's a number of submissions containing a turbo which could be used on both a diesel and HGCCI engines.

I'm curious to see how Skyactiv II pans out. What type of performance figures can come from such an engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
The HCCI work has really peaked my curiosity. I love how Mazda is pushing the envelope with the ICE. Very curious to know how the HCCI engine will perform and behave - will it be mostly transparent to the driver or have it's own operating characteristics that separate it from standard spark ignition? I wonder about this as far as the end user goes - the driving experience.

Here's a rotary engine being used to power a hybrid system
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20150910ptan20150252721.php

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The HCCI work has really peaked my curiosity. I love how Mazda is pushing the envelope with the ICE. Very curious to know how the HCCI engine will perform and behave - will it be mostly transparent to the driver or have it's own operating characteristics that separate it from standard spark ignition? I wonder about this as far as the end user goes - the driving experience.

Here's a rotary engine being used to power a hybrid system
Vehicle Power Generating Apparatus (Mazda Motor)
Check these out then. The first 3 on the original page I posted go pretty in depth on the details of how an HGCCI engine and it's combustion chamber are designed. All three of which have many similarities but when you read into the summaries of each application, you can see how they differ.

1. Combustion Chamber Structure For Engine (Mazda Motor)

2.Combustion Chamber Structure For Engine (Mazda Motor)

3.Combustion Chamber Structure For Engine (Mazda Motor)

Also, this diagram is what leads me to believe the above entries will be Turbocharged HGCCI where you can see the piping for an intercooler, circulating from exhaust to the intake.

Control Device Of Engine (Mazda Motor)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This site has taken up far too much of my free time but it's so cool to see what type of we may see in the future from Mazda!

Here's a really interesting application containing a performance focused AWD system. New MPS model?

Driving-torque Distribution Control Apparatus Of Four-wheel Drive Vehicle (Mazda Motor)

Use your google chrome word search bar to find cool words like "performance", "acceleration", or "maximum" then eat your heart out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts