Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok-waxing has been touched on numerous times here, but I was curious if any of you have noticed a difference using paste wax vs the more popular (and easier to apply) bottled wax. I have had my black 6 for about 6 weeks and have waxed it twice with Meguiar's Gold Class bottled wax. When rinsing the car off, I noticed the water sheets off and no longer beads and when touching the paint, it feels like there is nothing on the clearcoat anymore. So it is either the wax or something I used stripped it off.

I have rinsed it off with just water about once a week and have washed it once at home and twice at a car wash. The soap I used at home was Armor All car wash concentrate and it states it does not strip wax so I don't believe it was that. It could be the two times I took it to the car wash (manual) and used their soap. The only thing is is I have had other cars and used waxes on them and taken them through numerous washes at the car wash and never stripped my wax off. Waxes will last a pretty good amount of time depending on the weather and amount of washes applied to it.

I am just thinking it is this Meguiar's Gold Class. I thought Meguiar's was a good name and have used it before on other cars but never have used this Gold Class before. It almost acts as a polish as it seems it leaves a really thin coat on like a polish and it will bead water a week later but that is it. I am thinking I need to go back to the good ole Turtle Wax for a good old fashioned wax. I am also wondering if bottled wax does not provide a sufficient coating like the pastes out there. I have always had great success with paste waxes even though they are harder to wipe off. I just felt that a $10.00 bottle of Meguiar's best wax (or so they state is their best reflective wax) would be good but now I am starting to wonder. Anyone else here have the same problem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Reading Topic: Paste Wax vs Bottle Wax

One word...ZAINO. Order a kit and you will never look back. Just prepar to take a WHOLE day to do it right.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Paste Wax vs Bottle Wax'

Rowdy..i also using meguairs gold class toooo have the same thing u have

i been browsing on other car forums...and noticed Zaino is really a good product

right now i'm using meguairs in conjunction with wax polish until i get rid of meguairs

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I did some more research and found that others are having the same problem. I think it is just too thin and does not last well. I think I will go back to a paste and try that. I also heard using a polish under the wax brings out the shine better too and I was just using wax.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Seriously with a black car ,any car really but black especially, Zaino is the end all and be all. Its pricey, and it takes some time to do it right,but its well worth it IMO. Mirror finish my friend.Mirror.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am interested in the Zaino product, but I get lost on what Z1,2,3,4,5 products I exactly need. I know I don't need the cleaners as it's a new car but the other stuff gets me confused. I also don't like having to mail a check and wait until August probably to get.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I just ended my test of Meguiar's vs Nu-Finish on my black 6. It stoped raining this afternoon, so I finially got a chance to wash both cars.

I had used just Nu-Finish on the trunk. I had done a complete claybar/polish/wax with Meguiar's Gold on the hood. That was about 6 weeks ago.

The 6 was rinsed a couple of times in a power wand bay. But with all the rain we've had (23 out of the last 30 days); no hand washing.

Water beading on the hood (Meguiar's) was next to none, while the trunk (Nu-Finish) beaded like it was waxed last week.

So I will switch to the Nu-Finish for the 6. I like/use it on the Miata but that is keep in the garage. Seems it holds up just as well when the car is kept outside.

PS. I haven't polished the Miata (Nu-Finish) since last fall and the water beading was like a fresh wax job.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

See what I mean? That Gold Class does not stand up. It's like it is only as good as the day you put it on.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Sounds like Nu Finish is the winner here. Which Nu Finish is better? (Nu Finish Paste Wax or Nu Finish Liquid Polish)?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

i think paste wax is better....i use nufinish liquid first then mequiars over it cause i was bored and yeah felt like the wax disappear could putting mequiars over nufinish make nufinish disappear nu nu nufinish :D

i only use liquid wax just cause it's simpler to apply

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I haven't tried the paste but some over on Miata.net prefer it. It's hard to find in some areas.

You need to put it on with a thin coat or it can be harder to get off and will create a ton of white powder. More is not better! So the liquid is fine with me. I take it off with a 7" orbital buffer and terry pad.

Serveral people do actually like to wax over the Nu-Finish. The shine I get with just the Nu-Finish is fine with me.

As with all waxes and polishes be sure the finish is clean and smooth before applying. Claybar if necessary. Grinding dirt into the paint is not good.

·
Registered
106 Posts

we could beat this and beat this and beat this but over on s-seriesforum.com - where I came from. These guys SWEAR by zaino. And these guys are the ones at the shows showing off thier bagged and boddy dropped trucks. If I had a black car (thank god I dont) I wouldn't even think about it.....Zaino would be the only way I'd go.

But I have silver, so I think I am going ot hunt around for a good wax, I amy try this Nu Finish. But int he past I have always used mothers and sometimes meguires on my onw trucks. Mothers seems to bee pretty good too but I am open to change, I'll look into this nu finish stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I use Meguiars Gold Class. It last like a month. Any opinions for a liquid wax? I don't feel like using Turtle cuz it doesn't give the car a good shine and Nu Finish I am not to fond of. Any other suggestions? I have heard good things from Zymol.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

I use only Nu Finish. I kept a bottle in my car to bring to the car detailer's with me. I asked them to put their crap away and use mine. Anyone who's done it for me said they loved it when they were done, and they put the stuff on MY car.

I started using it because a few years ago I looked them all up for ratings and Nu Finish was rated tops with one other brand... the other brand I can't remember - but I guess it doesn't matter...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts