Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the plastic trim that covers the hinges of the boot/trunk lid on 2016> 6's.

I have looked in the Mazda WSM but cannot find the parts/part numbers. The boot/trunk lid is identical on the newer 6's so they should fit my 2014MY 6.

Anyone able to come up with part numbers for these? My local main dealer wasn't able to find them either.

The black car is mine without the plastic covers. The red one is plucked off the internet to show what they look like.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
That's a part for the newer models so far as I know - can't promise they'll fit on your 2014. Regardless: Right (G46G688W5A) - Left (G46G688W6A )

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, thanks so much! The mounting holes are there on mine so with a bit of luck they’ll go straight on.
Do you happen to know the part number for the little plastic fasteners/rivets?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Excellent, thanks so much! The mounting holes are there on mine so with a bit of luck they’ll go straight on.
Do you happen to know the part number for the little plastic fasteners/rivets?
Check the "related products" section under those links and/or select the Trunk Lid, Interior Trim link to see the full diagram. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again.

My WSM looks completely different :oops:

I've just ordered both parts and some clips. They're kept in the main warehouse in Europe so will be a couple of weeks from now.

Let's hope they fit for what they cost... :LOL:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the looks of it the holes in the side panels in the boot/trunk are different. One of the parents at my kids school has a 2017MY so I might be able to measure the holes for the hinges on that and recut mine as these side panels cost a small fortune.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Parts collected this morning.

does anyone know where the loom for the tailgate lights sit on a facelift 6? Mine sits to the left of the left hinge arm and the cover doesn’t fit over it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Byakuya

Would you be able to get me part numbers for both left and right trunk interior panels for a 2017/18 model? I don't think it is a case of cutting the holes a little bigger.

This is one of these little add-ons that end up costing a small fortune :oops:

EDIT: Found some used ones on eBay. They're from a 2019 car. Would these be the same as from a 2017/18 car?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
EDIT: Found some used ones on eBay. They're from a 2019 car. Would these be the same as from a 2017/18 car?
I believe so. The 2019s should be almost identical.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parts are here but it’s too hot to fit them ☀

Yes, summer has fallen on a Wednesday this year 😂

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Right, British summer has just ended so time to get the bits fitted.

I did a trial run last week and whereas I thought the boot/trunk interior panels were identical shaped apart from larger cut-outs for the hinge covers it seemed not so. I ended up buying two second hand panels from a 2019 car. Panels were as new same as mine were so that was lucky.

Looking online at numerous pictures of facelift boot/trunk lid trim panels it looked different too but after fitting the original it fitted perfect so I'm glad I didn't buy one of those as well.

Just in case anyone else gets this silly idea in their head too.... Thanks @Byakuya for supplied part numbers.

You'll need two hinge covers with part numbers G46G688W5A and G46G688W6A (right and left respectively)
Six panel fasteners with part number GJ2168885B02
Both boot/trunk interior trim panels.

To fit the hinge covers you need to remove the following

Boot/trunk floor carpet which just pulls out.
Boot/trunk end trim. This is hooked in in six places and held in by four panel fasteners.
Boot/trunk lid trim. This is held in by 13 panel fasteners. The grab handle magically falls out once all the clips are out.
Boot/trunk side pockets. The right one just lifts out and the left one is held in with two panel fasteners. This might be different on LHD vehicles.
Boot/trunk board panel. This is the polystyrene thing with the towing hooks and tyre repair stuff in etc etc. Just lifts out.
Boot/trunk side trims. Both of these are held in by 5 panel fasteners each. There's a hidden one under each of the rear seat bolsters but you should be able to get this out without removing the bolsters.

Looks a bit like this when done...

The pre-facelift hinges do have some holes in them but the don't line up with the hinge covers so some drilling is required. Also, the wiring loom to the inner rear lights is fastened to the side of the left hand hinge and needs to be moved to the top or the hinge cover will not fit. More holes to be drilled. Holes to be drilled for the panel clips are 5.5mm and the holes for the wiring loom clips are 6.5mm

Open the clips up to release the wiring loom. There's enough slack at the end to gain the 15mm or so needed.

The clips are actually really easy to remove. The hinges are drilled all the way through so you can push in the tabs on the back of the clips and they just pop out.

Wiring loom relocated.

Not a cheap upgrade at nearly £100.00 but it's in now and looking good. Time for a beer or two.

Hope this helps any other lunatics that can't leave their cars alone...

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Good writeup Ray and they look great - they look OEM.

any other lunatics that can't leave their cars alone...
That's pretty much everyone on here :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts