Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CheckeredFlag, LA, installed the Parrot advanced Bluetooth car kit (CK 3100) into my 03-6. The display is placed into the ashtray compartment next to the lighter. This unit mutes the Bose audio system, and works with voice commands. The cell phone answers automatically with the callers voice played through the front speakers. Sound is clear and easy to understand. My voice is picked up by a microphone installed next to the navigation mike in the rear of the sunglass holder.

I'll post pictures in a few days.

·
Registered
690 Posts
that is awesome, how much was the system? and labor?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I wonder how did they mute the car stereo cause I don't recall seeing a factory mute wire into the stock bose unit. I'm planning on installing my own bluetooth setup once I upgrade my phone.

edit: Never mind, found out how they do it. They don't actually mute the radio, but splice in at the radio's output before the speakers. Pretty straight forward.

http://www.parrot.biz/documents/en/support...out%20Mazda.pdf

·
Registered
214 Posts
i was looking for something like this a few weeks ago. this sounds like it would do everything i would need it to do.

·
Registered
690 Posts
my guess it the signal goes thru the bluetooth unit, and when calls are recieved it just cuts/fade it off. since it has to tap into the signal anyways

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parrot Bluetooth was purchased as a package. The installation took about four hours. Total cost without tax: $200.00.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Awesome, I was just looking into this recently but I didn't know how the install would go. Do you know anything about how they installed it? It's a sweet looking unit and I've been looking for a way to do this without changing out my head unit. Do tell more about the install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice! Cant wait to see pics. I was wondering how I could get this done. Thanks for the intel. Hope its working well for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Parrot Hand Free Car Kit Installation

Remove the shift cover and ashtray assembly. Discard the ashtray cup. Cut a slot into the frame using a rotary shaper. Position the LCD display/control panel to clear the flip-open door and as far right as possible for easy driver operation. The display is installed using a modified bracket supplied with the Parrot. The unit contains one knob and two buttons as well as a LCD display. The lighter socket is untouched. To maintain the stock look of the M-6, the door covering the ashtray assembly is retained.

The system is composed of three components: a speaker control box, power supply and LCD display.

Next, remove the dash counsel, right kick plate and the door sill plate. Construct a custom “mute” wire harness to run from the rear of the center counsel to the Bose amplifier, located under the passenger seat.

Place the power box and the speaker control box in the cavity over the transmission tunnel and make all connections. Run the microphone cable from the display, under the dash to the passenger side windshield frame, under the ceiling, exiting at the rear of the sunglass holder. Clip the attached microphone to the sunglass frame.

Reinstall all M-6 panels and test the system. The installation takes approximately four hours.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Can you comment on its performance? Any echoing for the people on the other end? Is it still usable with the windows down? I'm seriously considering this little toy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you comment on its performance? Any echoing for the people on the other end? Is it still usable with the windows down? I'm seriously considering this little toy.
[/b]
I’ve only had the Parrot for a few days, so this is from limited experience.

The phone audio is loud and clear over the car’s speakers.

The listeners report it sounds normal ¬- as though using a standard cell phone. There is no echo or car noise. I never drive with the windows down. The Parrot automatically mutes the sound system when making or receiving a call.

The Parrot automatically downloads your phone book. I have yet to use this feature. I am planning to set up the voice command this weekend. It looks straight-forward.

Cary

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Really cool. I've been considering changing out my head unit just to add BT, but I"m just not ready to take that step :D This is the perfect solution. Coming soon!!!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Ahh fuck it, I just ordered the Parrot and Mazda interface kit.

Just got my shipping notification, it'll be here Friday, woot!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My Parrot arrives today. I just need to decide where to mount it. I'll be sure to post up my review of the product.
[/b]
Where did you order it from? I just got my new T-mobile MDA 2 weeks ago and need this for my car. Did you have to order anything else besides the parrot kit for this to work with the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I got mine from Parrotkits.com, and I ordered the vehicle-specific harness. I think the install is a real bitch without the harness, but, if you have the Bose, the harness is $150. Without Bose, it's $60 :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts