Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question .....If you leave your parking brake on and your car is towed, what happens..

My car got towed recently and someone at the pound scared me as they told me the story of how their parking brake was messed up after they towed one of his previous cars..

When i got my car i was paranoid thinking that something was wrong with it, telling myself it felt loose, but i put the car in drive and put the ebrake on and it held, i even tried to rev it a little and it still held..

So now, i know for a fact my ebrake was on as i do it as a habit. So how did they tow my car and not mess up my brake..

Does the 6 have a special mechanism that releases the ebrake if the car is tilted to a certain angle...?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since you have a FWD car they probably towed you by the front. This will keep from foing damage to the transmission or drivetrain of your car. Then they have 3 options after that and 1 is to lift and pull, which can cause flat spots on your tires or brake wear if they slip, but more than likely they did one of the other 2 which is to either pop your lock and release the brake, or use a dolly that actually raises your rear tires off the ground so you actually have none of your car tires in contact with the ground. I would not worry much, if everything is alright when you pick it up and seems to work right there should not be much to worry about. If you are on the way cautious side then you could take it to your local dealer and have them do a once over on it just to be sure and easy your worried mind.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think they tow it with the rear wheels up in the air when the e-brake is on. However, if you set the e-brake and leave the car in gear, I think they have to use a flatbed tow truck.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
This is a tricky issue, I've towed 3 mazda6's and each time it needed a flatbed. When the tow picked up the non-sport car, it's mufflers and bumper were about 1/4 from dragging against the group. The stock sport car couldn't even make it on the flatbed without some peices of wood to get the rear tires higher so it wouldn't drag. Also to get a car onto the flatbed, it has to be pulled, if the parking brake is on well the wheels will either slide for the 2-3 meter that it needs which I wouldn't be to worried about, or the brake won't hold and let the wheels rotate, if this happens you may have to adjust your handbrake a little, but again nothing much to worry about. Now if they dragged the front in gear or in park, that puts a HUGE stress on the drivetrain, which is what I would be worried about. I'm I'm sure the car could take it, but how much it will take is a different story.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you have a FWD car they probably towed you by the front. This will keep from foing damage to the transmission or drivetrain of your car. Then they have 3 options after that and 1 is to lift and pull, which can cause flat spots on your tires or brake wear if they slip, but more than likely they did one of the other 2 which is to either pop your lock and release the brake, or use a dolly that actually raises your rear tires off the ground so you actually have none of your car tires in contact with the ground. I would not worry much, if everything is alright when you pick it up and seems to work right there should not be much to worry about. If you are on the way cautious side then you could take it to your local dealer and have them do a once over on it just to be sure and easy your worried mind.
[/b]
I am on the cautious side, i just got new tires and worried that they were dragging them..

And any drivetrain wear.. The ebrake did feel a little weak but i think i was just being paranoid bcuz after a few minutes it felt normal..

I think they tow it with the rear wheels up in the air when the e-brake is on. However, if you set the e-brake and leave the car in gear, I think they have to use a flatbed tow truck.
[/b]

If it helps any the car was towed my the marshals :( anyone have any ideas on how they operate..?

This is a tricky issue, I've towed 3 mazda6's and each time it needed a flatbed. When the tow picked up the non-sport car, it's mufflers and bumper were about 1/4 from dragging against the group. The stock sport car couldn't even make it on the flatbed without some peices of wood to get the rear tires higher so it wouldn't drag. Also to get a car onto the flatbed, it has to be pulled, if the parking brake is on well the wheels will either slide for the 2-3 meter that it needs which I wouldn't be to worried about, or the brake won't hold and let the wheels rotate, if this happens you may have to adjust your handbrake a little, but again nothing much to worry about. Now if they dragged the front in gear or in park, that puts a HUGE stress on the drivetrain, which is what I would be worried about. I'm I'm sure the car could take it, but how much it will take is a different story.
[/b]
Wow doesnt sound good, how likely is it that they pop the lock as said above...?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What exactly are you worried about? If the car drives fine, which I'm sure it does, don't sweat it. Getting towed isn't a big deal. If they had to drag it up onto a flatbed, there's no way that short amount of distance would damage your tires.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly are you worried about? If the car drives fine, which I'm sure it does, don't sweat it. Getting towed isn't a big deal. If they had to drag it up onto a flatbed, there's no way that short amount of distance would damage your tires.
[/b]
Its when you hear so many different stories from different people you ask until you get the one you want to hear or maybe just the way it is..

i just wanted some opinions that would make me feel o.k about it..

your right car works great tires still look and smell new, no problems..

·
Registered
987 Posts
I thought that the tow drivers strapped those little carts under your back wheels and hooked up the front?

Funny story:
My '71 Judge was towed from my highschool (Coronado in Colo Spngs). I was pissed! When I went to pick it up I noticed one of my slash cut tips was bent in. I got under my car before I left the lot and saw that the exhaust had run into my custom Rancho shock (had some meats in the rear). Turns out the driver took a turn too sharp causing a jack knife affect. It cost me $125 to get my car and they cut me a check for $400 to fix the damage.....bastards.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious, what'd you do to make them pick on you?
[/b]

Lol, parking ticket for being parked in the crosswalk, it was only about 2 inches of my bumper over the line..

and another ticket that i didnt know about stated i was parked @ a bus stop.. But i never got the ticket i ran in and came out there was no ticket on the windshield, im figuring the cop got my info.

But they both added up to $352.72 after ignoring them for a few months..

Once you go over $350... they look for you.. Got me While i was @ work..

Parking Debt Plus Towing and Marshal Fee's and 1 day storage : $676.66

That was my mod money was waiting till i hit $1000... :tear:

I thought that the tow drivers strapped those little carts under your back wheels and hooked up the front?

Funny story:
My '71 Judge was towed from my highschool (Coronado in Colo Spngs). I was pissed! When I went to pick it up I noticed one of my slash cut tips was bent in. I got under my car before I left the lot and saw that the exhaust had run into my custom Rancho shock (had some meats in the rear). Turns out the driver took a turn too sharp causing a jack knife affect. It cost me $125 to get my car and they cut me a check for $400 to fix the damage.....bastards.
[/b]

LOL, im kinda glad nothing bad happened to my baby. Bcuz my whole attitude from the time i got there was "i know they did something to my car..." but thankfully they didnt..

A lot of anger wouldve came from alot of places if they did.. :swearin: :irate:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts