Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an issue (maye it's an issue) where I take the Parking brake off in the AM after the car sitting all night and When the car moves I hear a little pop in the back. I believe it may be the parking brake sticking or something similar. It doesn't seem too aggravating but I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this issue (or heard of it).

Thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
this happens after I wash the car or drive in the rain and park it for the night, almost every time I do it. I think that a little rust forms on the back rotors or something. I hope it is nothing in the diff sticking. The fact that it only does it after it gets wet leads me to believe the rust thing.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It's water freezing. The manual recommends not using the parking brake under freezing conditions because of the possiblity that it might not release.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have the same problem in weather conditions above freezing. I agree on the rust piece... makes an awful pop sound when it disengages.

I'm clueless if it's causing any damage to the vehicle. guess i'm gonna have to keep wheel chaulks in the trunk...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's water freezing. The manual recommends not using the parking brake under freezing conditions because of the possiblity that it might not release.
[/b]
Not use the parking brake? It's more or less habit for me to use it and I would be too worried if I didn't. Guess I need to be careful.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Not use it means, leave the car parked in gear instead.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not use it means, leave the car parked in gear instead.
[/b]
I have always done both. Force of habit from when I first learned to drive a stick.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have always done both. Force of habit from when I first learned to drive a stick.
[/b]
I've always lived in places where the land was flat so I would never put it in gear. Now I live in Michigan and some places require me to put the car in gear when I park.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had remote start on my last car, it was a manual so it became habit to leave it in neutral, unless I am parking in a questionable area.
I wouldn't worry too much about the pop, its not like it takes a lot of force to 'unstick' it. The sheer weight of the car should take care of it on a slope. It happens on a lot of cars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Same thing happens to me after I wash it or in the Morning sometimes. It gets no where near freezing here.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you are very worried then take it to the dealer and have them adjust it... I had had that issue as well as it not holding.... And it was way out of adjustment.. They fixed it and now it feels, holds and has NO pop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts