Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just came in from adjusting my parking brake, I set it and park in gear in my MTX 99% of the time. Today was the first time in a long time that I parked the car with the handbrake only, and guess what. My parents came home from shopping and started freaking out because my car was parked in the middle of the street. Luckily no one hit it. Funny thing is, my parking brake held the car when I left, it seemed to have let the car loose as the brakes cooled. So I just want to get the word out that this can and has happened to one Mazda6 there's no reason it won't happen to yours. So I recommend giving your parking brake a check to see if it's working properly. You can do this by removing the little peice of carpet inside the storage bin. Pull the parking brake, if you have more than 1/2 of slack before the handle gets tight you should adjust your parking brake.

Adjusting the parking brake is easy, remove the center armrest, which includes, 4 screws up front, 2 on the sides that are covered by the little tabs beside the driver and passenger leg area, the next 2 are beneath the radio. There are 2 screws inside the storage bin underneath the carpet. There are another 2 beside the driver and passenger seat. Don't forget to remove the 12V accessory plug. The console pulls right out, and the parking brake handle meets the 2 cables with a nut. Tighten the nut to make the handbrake tighter.

If you have any questions feel free to post.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Are you sure that you parked it in the driveway? :huh: Was there any drinking involved? LOL. :laugh:
Always put it in gear, too. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
You must never adjust your park break until it is tottally cool, plus best not to do adjustments when it is very cold either, could get the reverse result. It is good to use your park brake occasionally even if you have a AT just to keep it from siezing up on you. I know it is required to work properly in NY state, many other either are the same or are following suit.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I adjusted it a little over an hour after I initially parked the car.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You know, if you REALLY LOVE YOUR 6, and it's just at home, put chocks behind the wheels if it's a Manual Transmission....works on F-15s it'll work on cars....It's our Air Force way of being better safe then sorry!

·
Registered
922 Posts
you at hickam, 808?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have an ATX 6i and I engage my parking brake everytime i park.. Is that bad would it get worn out..

If i dont put it on, and i place the car in Park and then let go of the regular brake the car will roll back a little, sometimes if in a tight spot and bump the car behind me so i pull it all the time now, as a habit..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts