Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im wanting to maybe take my stock rims and paint them black, but obviously i want them to look good and not like a walmart special. But is there a less expensive easy way to do this? I know a guy who will paint each rim with any color but he charges more than the rim is worth so im just looking for an alternative??
delete if off-topic
~cody

·
Registered
277 Posts
Subscribing.
Rustolem sells wheel paint i believe. Light sand them and go to town i assume. i want to paint my rims black too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
blackcheery and egierda are right powdercoating is the way to go, but it's pretty simple and extremely cheap to do it yourself. It's not going to last as long but it will look pretty good. I painted my regualr 6 rims to use for winters so I'm not worried about the paint holding up. I'll just touch it up come next season if I have too. You just need to do a real good job sanding the wheel down and applying the paint in nice even strokes. Multiple layers helps to with a clear coat to help keep the paint from chipping. Good luck if this is what you decide to do, or hopefully you can find someone to powdercoat the wheels for much cheaper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i think my dad can do it? yeah im a youngin' new to this haha but im learning!
Ill look into it some more, im just scared of jacking it up and my only rims being all effed up!! hahaha I dont wanna roll around with jacked up wheels!!!
So im just kind of scared to do it and mess it up?

·
Registered
884 Posts
eh if you do mess up all you have to worry about is just re-sanding it down and doing the process all over again. A lot of work but fun with a pair of rims that you don't care about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (ms6ohio @ Jan 14 2010, 09:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1629678
Okay so im wanting to maybe take my stock rims and paint them black, but obviously i want them to look good and not like a walmart special. But is there a less expensive easy way to do this? I know a guy who will paint each rim with any color but he charges more than the rim is worth so im just looking for an alternative??
delete if off-topic
~cody[/b]
I decided to paint my wheel because they were dull and one had curb damage, the process is simple but takes time to prep each wheel I don't know how long it will last but rigth now the look great.
I started by sanding and patching the damage I used steel whool:

then masking the tire:

Then applied 3 coat of primer first one a light coat:

Then another 3 coats of wheel paint, same process:

Then the clear coat 2 times:

this is the final result. After waiting 24Hrs I used a clay bar and wax the wheels they are really smooth and the brake dust does not adhere, a quick spray of water and it washes off easy.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You should be able to get them refinished by a place like Wheel Repair By Adam for a reasonable price. ( which if you've got an early production 3rd gen Eclipse GT and hit ANY pothole you'd know them)

Otherwise get a good paint (epoxy based should be easy to get in black) have a steady hand when masking, and prep the hell out of your surfaces!

QUOTE (JCPM @ Feb 3 2010, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634506
That looks fan-freakin'-tastic! What brand and color paint did you use?

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 to spazdog

ive been thinking about doing mine black but im wondering what kinda of primer, paint, and clear coat u used

thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
yes, what paint to use? VHT, Rustolem, Dupicolor, Dupont?
sand paper will work too instead of steel wool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts