Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea to try and paint the inner edge of my stock rims black. I figure since mine are always near black with brake dust, and they're damn near impossible to keep clean, plus I think having them black on the inside will contrast nicely with the silver on the outside. Plus there is a line that would work to go along, so it would be smooth. What do you all think? Has anyone seen this done yet? Pics?

Here is a quick photochop to show you what I mean.
Before: [attachmentid=15555]
After: [attachmentid=15554]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ive never seen that done before, to be honest i dont think many people will be able to tell you did anything, but its a neat idea.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true, it wouldn't be a huge difference, but it might give the illusion of a thinner edged rim (which i think would look cool) plus I wouldn't have to clean the inside of the rim for it to look nice.

Also, the rim weight/balancing dealy is in that section of the wheel, so I could disguise that a little more too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd spray 'em myself. with some type of black paint. I'm not quite sure yet.

This summer I fixed the curb rash on 3 of my rims, and it turned out really well, so I figure I could easily paint the back/inside of the rim.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i was thinking of painting my rims also, but people tell me that i should powder coat them. only problem is on the island i live on NOBODY does powdercoating, so i'd have to ship my rims elsewhere, which i see no point and would rather spend my money on new rims. unless spraypaint plus clearcoat would work...i have a yellow 6 and wanna paint either the spokes yellow(leave the lip chrome) or the whole rim gold or bronze. i just don't know if spraypaint would be okay.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have an idea to try and paint the inner edge of my stock rims black. I figure since mine are always near black with brake dust, and they're damn near impossible to keep clean, plus I think having them black on the inside will contrast nicely with the silver on the outside. Plus there is a line that would work to go along, so it would be smooth. What do you all think? Has anyone seen this done yet? Pics?

Here is a quick photochop to show you what I mean.
Before: [attachmentid=15555]
After: [attachmentid=15554]
[/b]

We think alike , as I can't wait for my chromies to get UNIFORMED-DIRTY inside .... no way I'm going to clean the inside ; besides ; I like it black so to showcase the outside , the inside sucks anyways ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinking of painting my rims also, but people tell me that i should powder coat them. only problem is on the island i live on NOBODY does powdercoating, so i'd have to ship my rims elsewhere, which i see no point and would rather spend my money on new rims. unless spraypaint plus clearcoat would work...i have a yellow 6 and wanna paint either the spokes yellow(leave the lip chrome) or the whole rim gold or bronze. i just don't know if spraypaint would be okay.
[/b]
I think as long as you use a "wheel" paint to paint the wheels, you'll be ok. Also, sand them lightly, primer, paint and clear coat, if you do all of this, I don't think you'll have any problems with painting them gold.

We think alike , as I can't wait for my chromies to get UNIFORMED-DIRTY inside .... no way I'm going to clean the inside ; besides ; I like it black so to showcase the outside , the inside sucks anyways ;)
[/b]
Right on, that's what I was thinking. I'm gonna try and get to this before it gets too cold out, I'll post pics when I'm done. I wonder if I could squeeze some caliper painting in at the same time, hmmm?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It was for the first time while cleaning that i even realized the inner part is shiny... i though it was dull / dark to begin with until the built on muck started coming off with a washcloth... I have yet to clean them properly, and the power wash nozzle cant do anything to the grime. Next time i take them off ill clean them completely with some hard scrubbing. .

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd spray 'em myself. with some type of black paint. I'm not quite sure yet.

This summer I fixed the curb rash on 3 of my rims, and it turned out really well, so I figure I could easily paint the back/inside of the rim.
[/b]
I just curbed a 7 inch section on the front passenger side stock rim. The car is 2 days old, ouch. The loose finish and aluminum flakes apart like granola. I'd be interested in learning how you went about repairing yours. Any links?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just curbed a 7 inch section on the front passenger side stock rim. The car is 2 days old, ouch. The loose finish and aluminum flakes apart like granola. I'd be interested in learning how you went about repairing yours. Any links?
[/b]
Sure I went to this site, and followed everything step by step. One thing I would probably do differently is instead of painting just the section of the wheel that you fix, paint the whole rim (take if off the car and mask it). I used Duplicolor Wheel paint, silver alloy color - from Autozone. Good luck, sorry about your rim.

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=30

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sure I went to this site, and followed everything step by step. One thing I would probably do differently is instead of painting just the section of the wheel that you fix, paint the whole rim (take if off the car and mask it). I used Duplicolor Wheel paint, silver alloy color - from Autozone. Good luck, sorry about your rim.

[/b]
Thanks for the quick reply! Just what I was looking for. I would have said something yesterday, but the site was down.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

[/b]
Alright ! Just put it in my favourites under Car Care for my 6 .... I chipped the front driver's in a frickin' automatic car wash over the winter ..... was taking my sweet time moving slowly forward to get all the high pressure water spray to remove most of the salt , and as a consequence was blinded in the windshield and caught the edge of the metal guide/track :swearin: I'll look into this when I'm less busy with my current mods , thx Drew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts