Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i would also like to see them cowls
Sorry, gonna be a while on more pic updates. My laptop took a shit this weekend and my desktop wont, for some unknown reason, link to my droid so I can d/l the pics. Oh well, hope to have the laptop back in a few days.

On a side note...I am gonna have to repaint the body color stuff...the color is off. Looks like my buddy that mixed it up for me (read: free) used the wrong code so the color is off. Bastard. Gonna just order Dupli-Color cans and bite the bullet and pay for it dammit...and repaint :(

Its good news in one respect though. I painted the engine cover and in my inpatience, pulled the tape off too soon and screwed up the paint on the mating line so it needed re-done anyway. I have a new twist I wanna try too on it too...:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
UPDATES! Check out post #4 on the first page for more painting updates and let me know what you think!

Other than these few crappy night pics after I washed it, I dont have any full shop pics yet. Currently, the car is back in the garage getting a full clay-bar, wax and detail treatment. Pics to follow.

I am so happy with the results. I love the plasti-dipped and clearcoated emblems, exhaust tips, grill and wheels. I also love the slightly lowered stance after cutting once coil off all four corners. As much as some may complain, I am here to attest, again, that this is a reasonable mod. There is only a very slight increase in stiffness...barely noticable. There is also only a slight drop. Noticable but very modest. I forgot to take a before measurment over the center of the wheel opening, but I am looking at 26.5" after the cut with no other changes.

Note: I also have the radiator deflectors done and pics...but I am gonna do a seperate post and how-to for that ;)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
What did you use to cut the coils?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What did you use to cut the coils?
Nothing more than an air-powered cutoff tool. Whizzer wheel...wheel of death...it has many names :D

I did a straight perpendicular cut across the spring about a .25" shy of 1 full coil. I then dressed the cut lightly on a grinding wheel and wire brush...then coated the exposed end with plasti dip. I reinstalled everything as it came out. The only difference is that on the front you will have the strut top will sit at an angle since the spring no longer has the flattened portion. No worries, it goes back in the car just fine and the weight settles the spring in the perch perfectly. On the rear, you just need to make sure the spring stays aligned in the existing indentations as you reattach the lower control arm. Once the arm is back in place...no worries!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg. Since you are so close to me, I'll just drop by to have you help me with my drop. LOL

BTW....I love the looks of your car. The personalization makes it stand out from the rest of the 6's.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the info Greg. Since you are so close to me, I'll just drop by to have you help me with my drop. LOL

BTW....I love the looks of your car. The personalization makes it stand out from the rest of the 6's.
Thanks for the props and as for helping with your drop? Bring it! Its an easy job too...not hard at all!

Thanks Mob LiLj

·
Registered
684 Posts
Car is looking good and I like that you have done, this has made me want to get off my lazy ass and start painting again. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
looks good greg. the slight drop looks nice. (anything is a step up from the OEM suspension)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
looks good greg. the slight drop looks nice. (anything is a step up from the OEM suspension)
Thanks bro. I agree completely on the OE ride height being way too high. Its amazing looking at my car sitting in the garage...looks like a totally different car!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
next mod should be nightshading or buying the smoked side markers off ebay for 30 bucks for sure...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was initially gonna plasti dip the taillights too....but that was before I decided to clear the black, add the red pin stripe and re-paint the calipers red. After that, the red in the lights seemed to not be as overstated. Doing the nightshading might be a good idea on those as well as the sidemarkers too ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nice paint work man, Did you have to take the bumper off to paint this part?
Wow, didnt see this reply...sorry!

No, i did not take the bumper off...but it would be a ton easier! I carefully taped around everything. I also pulled back a couple areas where the bumper mounts overlap so there wouldnt be any seam lines when I painted.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
UPDATE: After going through the coil-cutting mod I am gonna vote against it.

Why? Well it looks great....rides MUCH better in my opinion...but there is one problem that I noticed and went ahead anyway...

The coils in our cars are flat on the big ends (top for the front, bottom for the rear). when you cut out 1 coil, as I did, the coil is no longer machined flat anymore. Though my car rides and handles perfectly, there is a slight "thunk" sound over moderate+ bumps. It started right away and it sounds worse than it is. What is happening is that with the spring no longer sitting completely flat in the mount, it can move around just enough to make noise. I have watched it carefully for a few thousand miles since the mod and have seen no problems. Regardless, the sound isnt acceptable and there could be premature wear/failure of the rubber isolator where the spring rests. Thus, I am going to suggest to all...not to do it. Its sad cause its perfect in both stance and ride...right where I wanted it. Oh well...

All is not lost though, I got a set of Racing Beat springs for the car for Christmas! Those go on tomorrow :)

I also got a set of Hawk HPS pads for the fronts...but those will wait till I get new cross-drilled rotors :) These pads will be new to me in this car and I am eager to try them out...come on bonus check! I have use them before in my Mustangs as well as my rally car when I raced and was amazingly pleased with them.

What goodies did everyone else get from Santa?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got some RX-8 wheels for my 2010! Your pics look great man!!! nice job! Can I make one suggestion? I would go to the dealer and get some new bolts and fasteners for things like the struts and such. The pic of the top of your strut shows the same old rusty bolts that were there before and I wouldn't want the rust to damage your hard work...and it will look even better! Again, nice job!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks! Yeah, I know I need new hardeware....just too busy and lazy to replace it so far...but its on the list!

·
Registered
239 Posts
How are your paint projects holding up?

Be honest :p

Any chipping cause of the heat?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
10 Participants
CretanThreat
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing