Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, being unemployed DOES have a few benefits ;)

Check out the pics below to see the in-progress painting project.

Pic 1: Here are my supplies. That is ALLOT of money (about $125 or so) in tape, paint and plasti-dip :(
Pic 2: Airbox cover-body color/clear DONE!
Pic 3: Battery hold down and strut top supports-body color/clear DONE!
Pic 4: Driver side cowl panel-under hood portion body color/clear, outside stock finish DONE!
Pic 5: Passenger side cowl-same as above DONE!
Pic 6: Engine cover-hammered black and body color/clear both DONE!
Pic 7: Fuse cover-hammered black/clear DONE!
Pic 8: Grill emblem-plasti dip/clear DONE!
Pic 9: grill inserts-plasti dip/clear DONE!
Pic 10: throttle body-cody color/clear DONE!

In an attempt to "do something different" than most. if not any, other cars I have seen, I decided to paint the cowl plastic and top of radiator core support. I admit, Im not sure how good the finished product will look. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! DONE!

I was going to do the emblems, grill and wheels in plasti-dip alone but after doing a test paint of clear over the plasti-dip, I just loved the result so that has been carried over to all the dip'ed parts. DONE!

Also on the paint list but not started yet:
-Intake manifold-body color/clear DONE!
-Grill-a bitchen (and very difficult) body color/plastidip/clear DONE!
-TOP of radiator core support only-body color/clear DONE!
-wheels-plasti dip/clear and maybe a red pin stripe...assuming I can apply it well. DONE!
-rear emblems on deck lid-plasti dip/clear DONE!

Other projects hopefully tackled in the next week or so
-clutch adjustment
-power steering flush
-blake fluid flush DONE!
-"modified" factory dogbone mount (details to follow)
-MILD spring cut (flame away) 1 coil cut...PERFECTION!
-pedal covers
-radiator air deflectors (maybe) DONE!
-front and side splitters (home-made)

Comment/flame away!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More progress!

The wheels are DONE! Im not 100% pleased with them and may at some point redo them. The red stripe was a cast-iron bitch to apply and there are some spots where its not quite right...but I will leave it for now as I have other projects to complete (as listed above) and the wife is getting testy about me consuming the garage ;)

Essentially, I used heavy trash bags as a cover. I put them over the tire and cut out the wheel portion and taped the edges. From there, a heavy cleaning with brake cleaner (my all-time favorite cleaner for everything). I sprayed 4 light coats of plastidip and let it dry a bit. I applied the 1/8" pinstriping (as best I could). Lastly, two coats of clear inside and out. Now....time to sit and cure as I continue the projects!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Painted grill is DONE!

I essentially did the same thing with the grill as the wheels...see above for details.

I did add a bit of a twist that I have yet to see anyone do before...and it was one of the hardest things I have ever painted to pull off. I used pinstripe and tape along the contour line where the grill slats blend into the "M" protrustion. I tried to use the center of the fillet as my guide line. All was fine till I tried to remove the tape...too soon. It started pulling off the plastidip and I had to start over from scratch. Oh yeah, I was not happy. On the second run, I waited 2 days for it to dry/cure. Then, I used an exacto knife to carefully cut along the tape edge. That was monumentally hard in such a confined space...especially with the meat-hooks I have for hands!

I love it! It isnt pin-perfect but you can really see anything unless you really get up onto it. This too I may redo at some point as my skills continue to improve. This is my first attempt at this level of detail and finish.

Comments please!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, everything is largely done now. I still have a few things to tackle, but the bulk is complete and the painting project is done with the exception of the engine cover which is partially done but I am struggling with how to complete it. I know it needs black...just not too sure how I want to finish it off. Let me know what you guys think!

Here is the inderhood shots...

Before (and dirty):

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

There are some more pics that can be found here:
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/nascargreg/Mazda 6/Underhood/

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
damn dude thats a lot of cans...did you leave anything on the shelves for the rest of the customers? the emblem looks good. im doing mine soon too...when my buddy decides hes going to do his rims im guna use some of his plastidip lol ( but im just doing the rear flying M as i have a badgeless front grille)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
one of my professors and i have been doing a little community service project since hes really into the show "extreme couponing" so we save up a bunchhhh of coupons for like a month and then we try to get a buncha groceries at reallllly low cost and then we donate the food to homeless shelters and soup kitchens...well last week i had like 50 coupons for waffles and they were already on sale so i got like 50 boxes of waffles for like 6 bucks...cleaned out the grocery store lol.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Looks good I would like to see the cowls installed?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Looks great Greg.....good job, good job

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man those rims look great. looks painstaking but nice job!!
Thanks and you have no idea! Im not completely happy with the pinstripe...I just couldnt get it consistent all the way around. If you look closely at it (in person...I doubt it will show up in pics), you can see it waver a bit. My biggest concern is that it looks like some rat-trap/ghetto ride with the stripes bouncing and jumping as I drive down the road. If thats even slightly the case, I will so rip that shit off in an instant!

The wife looked at it and liked it too (she is a very tough critic as she is an artist and actually done some paint work for $$$). She agreed though that if its jumpy when in motion...its got to go.

PS-Being an complete and total frackin idiot, I already messed up one wheel. What a douche I can be some times! I was moving the wheels to the other side of the garage and, for just an instant to move something, let one of the wheels go...and it instantly fell over face-first and nicked the paint and tore the stripe. I felt like such a stupid rookie...I know better than that. I have repaired it and though the black looks ok...the stripe aint quite perfect. Oh well, I aint redoing it yet!

Thanks again...I appreciate it ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next up on the mod parade....the brakes are off the car and the calipers and rotor hats are getting a fresh coat of VHT red ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
sorry to hear about the wheel face plant. lol. that stinks. make sure you post some pics when done with painting calipers and stuff. i'm in a painting mood right now :]

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brakes are done but not re-installed. I am now fabbing up the radiator air deflectors but ran out of sheet metal dammit :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whats the brand of those pinstripes you have?
Prostripe. I bought them at Autozone in the "ricer" section. Lol

I wasnt overly concerned with getting a top-quality stripe since I was going to clear over it anyway. Regardless, it seems ok to me quality-wise.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
10 Participants
CretanThreat
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing