Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatz up. I'm gonna be painting my Metra kit tomorrow and need a few tips on how many coats I'll need. I've painted exterior pieces from my old accord back in the days, but haven't really painted any interior pieces. I remember painting the plastic hubcaps for the accord; used 2 coats primer, 4 coats paint, 3-4 coats clear coat. That worked well for the outside... they never chipped or anything. I'm just wondering if I should use the same formula (2,4,4) for the metra kit? I'm planning to paint it white and also painting my name in korean characters (cuz I'm korean) off the left side of the metra kit. I know I should get some 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper to prep the metra kit for the primer, so I'll go and get that. Any tips or suggestions would be great! I'll post pics of the kit when I'm done. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I don't really know much about painting, but you dont need that many coats of paint on an interior piece.

I think something along the lines of:
1. Scuff the piece with a red scuff pad (don't remember the name sell them at body shop supply stores),
2. Primer, wet sand, primer, wet sand.
3. Spray color paint on, wet sand, and spray again.
4. Depending on the shine you want add clear according.

So more like 2, 2, (1-3)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts