Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am planning on painting my engine cover and my calipers. Yesterday i bought some caliper paint so i was wondering, can the same paint be used on the engine cover? Also if i was going to paint my engine cover do i have to do anythign special to it like priming it? And what kind of paint would work if the caliper paint won't work? THanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey everyone, I am planning on painting my engine cover and my calipers. Yesterday i bought some caliper paint so i was wondering, can the same paint be used on the engine cover? Also if i was going to paint my engine cover do i have to do anythign special to it like priming it? And what kind of paint would work if the caliper paint won't work? THanks.
[/b]

I just did mine yesterday actually. Did mine red to match CAI and wires. I let it dry all night and will take a look at it when I get home today to see how it turned out. I will take a picture when I finish. I used the spray paint that is meant for plastics taht bonds with it. Looked great after my 3rd Coat last night.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
im not real sure if the caliper paint will work, when i did mine i just used high temp paint followed by a high temp clear coat. as for the priming all i did was clean the surface REALLY REALLY good. i washed it 2 times then used paint cleaner rubbed the surface and then washed it two more times. just make sure its spotless or else the paint wont stick.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k thanks guys, where can i find high temp paint? at the same place i bought the caliper paint? thanks.

edit: a few other questions, i can take the engine cover out right? and will everything run smoothly if i take it out to paint and dry for a day? thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ye syou can take it out no prob. Here is what mine looks like. I will go over with another coat after 7 days after it bonds to the plastic. I took them at night and with my camera phone, so they aren't the best, but it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do i use to cover the letters on the engine cover? Masking tape? Would i have to cut it realy nicely then stick on exactly? And would one layer of masking tape be enough to stop the paint from getting on the letters? Oh and when i finish painting the cover and take off the masking tape can i use a silver Sharpie to color in the words? Thanks :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
thats sharpie ink might not last with all that heat

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rub Vasoline on the top of the small letters. Then paint over it like you were actually going to paitn them red as well. Once you let it dry, just rub off the paint on the vasloine. The Vasoline won't let it stick to the surface. It is the easiest way to do it IMO. I taped everything else except that right part where the letters are so small.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks a lot for the vasoline tip.

Instead of the silver sharpie what are other alternatives to painting the letters silver? Because right now they are black along with the rest of the cover so they don't stick out and i don't want to buy another can of spray just to do the letters. Is there any high temp sharpies? :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
ok thanks a lot for the vasoline tip.

Instead of the silver sharpie what are other alternatives to painting the letters silver? Because right now they are black along with the rest of the cover so they don't stick out and i don't want to buy another can of spray just to do the letters. Is there any high temp sharpies? :)
[/b]
You don't need a high temp sharpie for the letters, and you don't need high temp paint for the rest of the cover. I've been living in south Alabama for the past 7 months (which means HOT), and my engine cover looks the same as it did when I first painted it. I used color-matched paint from O'Reily's Auto Parts, and silver model paint for some stipes and the letters, because it matches my CP-E intake :D . The plastic cover itself doesn't get hot enough to alter the paint; I can even post some recent pics if you want.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
so clone what kind of paint do you recommend then? i'm actually thinking of hoping into my car now and heading off to buy the paint i need lol. how'd you guys get the one bolt out that was deep in there? what size wrench do i need.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i just want to know the kind of paint to use, and how to get the cover off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
so clone what kind of paint do you recommend then? i'm actually thinking of hoping into my car now and heading off to buy the paint i need lol. how'd you guys get the one bolt out that was deep in there? what size wrench do i need.
[/b]
As far as paint, I won't go as far as saying any paint will work, because I'm sure there are some out there that don't hold up in even moderate heat. I know that the color-matched spray paint you can get from auto parts stores (not all of them can make the paint though) holds up great, and that would have to be my recommendation. If your worried at all you could always through on a clear coat rated for I think 500 degrees, which you can get anywhere, but you don't need it as far as I've seen.

As for the bolts, they should be a 10mm socket size if I remember, and an extension will do the trick at getting that deep bolt.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'm off to get me some paint and a 10mm socket lol. i don't have the tools here and i'm too impatient to wait to get to my rents house this weekend.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just redid my engine cover.

[attachmentid=17258]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Ye syou can take it out no prob. Here is what mine looks like. I will go over with another coat after 7 days after it bonds to the plastic. I took them at night and with my camera phone, so they aren't the best, but it works.
[/b]
Hey hey Travis....Nice Color you chose!!! Here is Mine.....Not the best in the world though...pretty basic....also (with the CP-E Intake)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts