Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered spraying their brake calipers or whatever they are called? With a black 6, I thought red would look nice, but not sure though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Painting brakes

ah, that's exactly what I was wondering

looks very nice...what did you have to do?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Painting brakes'

i took the wheel

i use masking tape to cover the brake pads, rotors, etc. etc.

spray first coat waited o 1 min use hair dryer for about a min again apply second coat did the same thing, etc. then third coat

i put the wheel back on when it look dry enough and continue

hope that helps...i kinda followed coolgrey steps instead i did it all by myself

·
Registered
839 Posts

Ichi,
How long did it take you to do all 4 and what paint did you use???

You did a better job than me judging from your picture. :)
The hair dryer really helps in reducing the time wasted in waiting.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Think the steel gray would look good with red calipers too? Recommendations... anyone?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

check hieppo car or this post for glacier silver with red calipers

http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=3097

i have glacier silver too just that i didn't take any clear side shot

as for steel gray with red calipers - check out coolgrey car :)

took me like 1hr15min or so each wheel yeah dryer really helps big time....how many coatings did u put on?? i brought VHT brake caliper spray paint can at lordco cost me 11 with taxes coulda got it cheaper using my dad's company

they had red, blue, black and silver there if anyone is interested

·
Registered
167 Posts

i think that looks good, thx. is a spray can better than painting it with a paint brush?

·
Registered
837 Posts

About spray can or brushing, let me ask you this. Do you have a high tolerance level? If not go with the brushing. It is way easier but it will cost a bit more since most of the brake paint kit using brush I seen cost 3 times more than the spray can.

Think it as this, you can really minimize masking with brushing if you have a steady hand. With spray can, there is no hope in hell you can do it without masking.

Or I forgot about Ruefus who spray the paint out into a container and then use a brush to paint it on. I don't know how well this work but Ruefus was able to get a clean finish on his calipers.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Nico, are you asking me what paint??? If so, follow the link Ichi indicated, I mentioned it in there. I think someone else recommended another one as well that The Tire Rack sells.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I don't get the point.

I guess I subscribe to the "if it doesn't add or enhance functionality then it's not worth the time or effort" mentality.

I mean, installing a set of Brembos==definately worth the time

Painting existing calipers==rice

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
611 Posts

It's unique, draws additional attention torwards the car, highlights one of the cars better qualities, somewhat subtle.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Actually I would not spend too much time just painting the calipers unless it came like that. But I found out after I painted it, I see that it can protect the finish of the metal. Also I noticed that Mazda uses different material or processing between the front and the back. So it look kind of awkward when I stare at my open wheels. If they were the same colour then I would say, to hell with it.

Go ahead and look at your naked calipers, the fronts and rears, and let me know if yours are the same colour. Make sure it is clean and not dirty from all the brake dust then i guess it would be the same colour, BLACK. :p

·
Registered
144 Posts

I have a Lapis Blue 6, I was wondering if red brake calipers would look good on it? Anyone have pics of a blue 6 with red calipers? Or perhaps yellow calipers?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Painting brakes'

I think yellow calipers would look awesome. I have a neighbour who has a Mazda MP3 (Protege with the builtin Kenwood MP3 which works well in the ad campaign). Anyway, when it was first release blue (I think it was Laser Blue) was the only colour available. It had factory painted yellow calipers. Man it looks sharp.

I don't know if any members has posted any blue with calipers painted yet. I have not seen any anyway. Hopefully someone will do it and post pics up.

·
Registered
331 Posts

I too jumped on the band wagon yesterday... 5 Hours later....

I liked the way some people left the shiny silver part of the actual brake pad unpainted,
so thats what took so long... You cant tell in photo, but I wasnt going to back up the car
just for that. Anyways... Off to explore the T/B bypass :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts