Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my shiny new Lapis Blue 6 yesterday and was thinking that those four-wheel discs would really look sharp with the calipers painted to match.

Anybody done theirs (any color, doesn't have to be Lapis)? If so, I'd love to see it. I'd also like any recommendations on the paint. I was looking at this stuff in blue from the TireRack, but I know it's not the only stuff out there.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Painting Brake Calipers

Figures! I looked all the way through the "exterior mods" forum section, shoulda just looked for pictures.

Those look great though. I like the red/silver mix.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Painting Brake Calipers'

Originally posted by fly4aday

I was looking at my shiny new Lapis Blue 6 yesterday and was thinking that those four-wheel discs would really look sharp with the calipers painted to match.

Anybody done theirs (any color, doesn't have to be Lapis)?  If so, I'd love to see it.  I'd also like any recommendations on the paint.  I was looking at this stuff in blue from the TireRack, but I know it's not the only stuff out there.[/b]
I wonder if the Blue would go well with the Lapis Blue. To me, Lapis Blue is almost purple in some light. Maybe the purple would look good to? I'm definitely going to be doing this mod. However, I'm wondering if any other colors would look as well. Red maybe?

·
Registered
526 Posts

I'd consider a contrasting color. Red or perhaps yellow.

Either would look good -but I think yellow may JUMP out a little too much. I agree with GreenNuggs - trying to match the blue will likely end in frustration more than anything else.

Unless you get your hands on THE lapis blue from the dealer. You're only problem there will be the fiinish may not be as durable as the higher temp stuff.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, I have to use the car as a road sales car (I take customers to lunch, etc.); so I'm trying not to be TOO bold (yellow or red might be a little drastic). I want it to look sporty but still professional. That's why I was pushing for the matched color.

And you're definitely right, it won't match exactly, but being hidden behind the wheel it's at least separated from being right next to the finish and a subtle mismatch would be hard to detect. They also have a silver, but I'm afraid it might show too much brake dust. I was hoping I could find a sucker with blue to do it first (heh)!

Hell, I may try it anyway. If I buy the blue paint kit and open the can and it looks WAAAY off, I'm sure one of my friends will buy it from me (somebody with a white or black or silver car).

·
Registered
837 Posts

Yeah, make sure you get the high temperature stuff. The colour will remain its colour for a longer time.

About the colour, you should have a contrast colour. My silver was easy since almost any colour other than silver would contrast with the car silver. I chose red because it matches the red tail lamp. Beside yellow would show dirt and dust much easier than red.

However, saying that yellow is the best to show off the blue colour. Do you remember the Mazda MP3. In Canada, it was only available with Blue and the brake calipers were yellow. Let me tell you, yellow looks good on blue. But that is my opinion. Everyone has their own. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replying to Topic 'P

Well, I just emailed G2 looking for more pictures of blue installs. There's a pic on their website of the blue and it looks like it may not clash too bad with the relatively dark Lapis color:

The yellow would be sweet, but given the whole job situation I'd rather just not do it if I had to do a wildly contrasting color.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

How about creating a stencil with the Mazda 6 logo, shrinking it down, and painting the logo in blue on a yellow caliper. I too am looking to do my calipers, but I'm having trouble coming up with a good color combo. Maybe I'll try looking to see if there's any better color selection out there.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

fly4aday, that's why I'm waiting for you to do it first! :)

Yellow would be neat, but might make it look to "rice" and might be a pain in the bottom to clean.

·
Registered
837 Posts

If you don't want to look too rice, how about gold??? Gold makes it a bit more classy. However, IMHO I don't like any gold or chrome on my car. :)

The blue would blend in and you would not really notice it much. You might as well keep the car original colour. The other choice is perhaps black. It does not stand out as much but it does contrast a bit. You just won't see it as much and much less than blue.

But whatever you do, don't chose green. SIC!

·
Registered
455 Posts

What do you think for my Speed Yellow 6? I was thinking maybe white or yellow. Everything else seems to clash.

·
Registered
105 Posts

If you have speed yellow, i'd suggest red. My friend has a yellow IS 300 with red calipers and it looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts

I'm going red with my speed yellow. Hopefully I'll do it this weekend.

As for the Lapis Blue - I think red would do VERY well and give it a high-performance look as opposed to 'rice'.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of their yellow 6 with painted calipurs? Still deciding on a color and want to see the red.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Painting Brake Calipers'

what about a white 6? okay red is the standard, but i was thinking silver or black. white would not go because of the dirt.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Painting Brake Calipers'

black would look like... well .. black. eh?

Do people usually do all four or just the front two?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Painting Brake Calipers'

Silver would look mostly stock, the rears are silver to start & the fronts to a degree (gray). Black would just blend into the shadows of the wheel.

Red, yellow or perhaps blue. Yep - they'll stand out & contrast. That's the entire point.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts