Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachmentid=16140]

Finally got it painted by a paintshop friend with factory match color and clear coat.

[attachmentid=16141]
Don't know how to post more than one pic in a single topic. Close up.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very nice! Like i said the first time

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - posted in 2 places....thanks for the compliments. Seen some really nice covers and couldn't wait to show mine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Looks nice. My fiance wanted to paint mine too. I'm skeptical of discoloration because of the heat from the engine though. Weren't you slightly worried of this?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Looks nice. My fiance wanted to paint mine too. I'm skeptical of discoloration because of the heat from the engine though. Weren't you slightly worried of this?
[/b]
There's no need to use high heat paint.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's no need to use high heat paint.
[/b]
No real need to use high temp paint, but my paint shop friend did use a primer specifically for plastics which sticks to anything (plastic bumber and such). The primer and paint are good up to a temp much higher to expect other than an enginer fire. Also, it was painted with the factory match color code and clear coat. I tried using high temp spray paint but the color was terrible. With a little buffing and wax, it really looks good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Painted and MS CAI installed. Lovin' it!
[/b]
Next on my list!!!! How difficult is the CAI to install? I know there is a how to here, but I'm concerned about my lack of wrench turning skills, sensor problems, warranty issues. By the way, I love your paint job. Very classy

·
Registered
548 Posts
looks good man, I'm thinking I might just buy enough paint and clear to do my new grille and the engine cover at the same time. I just hope it turns out that nice!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Next on my list!!!! How difficult is the CAI to install? I know there is a how to here, but I'm concerned about my lack of wrench turning skills, sensor problems, warranty issues. By the way, I love your paint job. Very classy
[/b]
CAI was no problemo to install. Took maybe 3hrs. I had to get an allen wrench to install the MAF sensor to the CAI using the supplied screws...otherwise, pretty easy. I used the how to and the MazdaSpeed instructions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That looks awesome... how much did that cost?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks awesome... how much did that cost?
[/b]
A friend who runs a paint shop at dealer body shop painted it, and being a close friend, he didn't charge me anything. I offered, but he refused. I guess he remembered all the beers I've bought him over the years! I also spray painted the the dip stick handle in "chrome", didn't like the yellow....

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
that does look nice. i'll be doing that to my car when i get my sport grille. i'm buying a pint of paint at cost and having the work done free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts