Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats up boys -- winter's gone and I'm out of hibernation.

1st on my list is to see what I'm going to do with the MV Body kit I acquired.

Got an estimate for paint which (I know pearl white is more costly) was a little high in my opinion -- about $1700!

We're talking about side skirts, front and rear fangs and two spoilers.

That $1700 is also not with install either.

So .... with that said, Im trying to find some reputable shops and figured I'd tap you guys first for suggestions.

If it comes out to be too costly, I may end up selling the skirts and fangs

Appreciate any insight and help -

Kyle

·
Registered
498 Posts
OMG where is the $1700 quote from?
To be honest, I would attempt to DIY. Purchase a few cans from Automotive Touchup and try to do it yourself. Since its a full on spray with no areas to match to (like a patch job) it should be pretty straight on. Also, your white color shouldn't have faded at all in the past 2 years.

The cost for white paint is $40 which includes both a ground coat and a midcoat (since you have the 'special' snowflake ;) Also shipping is a little bit of a bugger since its aerosol cans.

Unfortunately, I do not know any shops in the area who can help you out. There are probably a ton in the 5 boroughs but might not do the job your hoping for.

I am currently trying to find a shop or person for that matter to get my springs on. The install seems simple enough but 2 places I went to (one big business and one local shop) both wanted $450+ for the job! No way Jose. let me know if you know someone. Willing to travel and help in the process.

GL with Paint

·
Registered
498 Posts
And if you do decide to sell the parts, you know how to reach me :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG where is the $1700 quote from?
To be honest, I would attempt to DIY. Purchase a few cans from Automotive Touchup and try to do it yourself. Since its a full on spray with no areas to match to (like a patch job) it should be pretty straight on. Also, your white color shouldn't have faded at all in the past 2 years.

The cost for white paint is $40 which includes both a ground coat and a midcoat (since you have the 'special' snowflake ;) Also shipping is a little bit of a bugger since its aerosol cans.

Unfortunately, I do not know any shops in the area who can help you out. There are probably a ton in the 5 boroughs but might not do the job your hoping for.

I am currently trying to find a shop or person for that matter to get my springs on. The install seems simple enough but 2 places I went to (one big business and one local shop) both wanted $450+ for the job! No way Jose. let me know if you know someone. Willing to travel and help in the process.

GL with Paint

Thanks man -- yea, I nearly laughed out loud when the guy gave me that number. Great dude, and reputable shop, but I told him as politely as possible to go scratch. If you dont want to do it, just say it -- dont give a effing number like that! The shop was in my area in Branchburg, NJ.

He talked about the prep work on the plastics -- his words

"because of the bare plastic, these parts will need to be baked, solvent washed, primed with a special primer, sanded, three stage refinish, (Pearl white), and finally clearcoated. "

I like the idea of DIY, but I just dont have the time -- I barely have time as it is to get the basics done around the house.

And if the costs I get for paint at other shops seem to be too much to swallow, I may just give you a buzz to see if you want em!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah if they were my parts, i would do 2coats white primer (one light and one heavier) then a solid 12+ hours of dry time. Then two coats of color makind sure to do even coats through out. Should you need a 3rd coat, it should be light and even. Finally a few coats of a clear coat would do thr trick.

What was the cost for parts and shipping? I know you had some good deal with scott.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts