Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let you know, Star Shield Armor prototyped one of their paint and headlight protection kits on my 6. It's actually on in the photo of the car (see below) - not that you can see it very well. The kit covers the bumper cover, A-pillars, mirrors, headlight assemblies, door handles and the top of the rear bumper cover (by the trunk opening); plus the front portion of the hood, front fenders and roof. I don't know when it will be available, and it should be installed by a professional, but I thought it would be of interest to other 6 owners. I had one of their kits on my Lexus for about a year, and it was great.

If you look carefully, you can see one of the seams on the bumper cover. Otherwise, it's pretty invisible in the photo - and in person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Paint Protection Film - Clear Bra'

you can also just go to a search engine and search for "3M Paint Protection film" this will give you couple a link to 3M automotive, Marine and Aerospace website. There you will be able to find all sorts of protection films that are the exact same thing as the Star shield armor people use.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Paint Protection Film - Clear Bra

What does it typically cost to go all out and get the full protection like yours, Scott?

·
Registered
526 Posts

I've got an appointment with an installer for xpel.com this Friday to have the hood, mirror backs, lights and fascia done. They just released the design for the 6. Both sport & non-sport versions are available. It's the same stuff you see on the rear flared fenders of 911's so rocks from the front wheels don't destroy the paint.

Cost for the whole thing will run around around what I consider a mind-numbing $450. Headlight protection alone is around $60. The stuff is really tough, really clear and IMHO, really cool.

Painful to the wallet to be sure - but the front of your car will never look like someone spent an afternoon shooting it with a pellet gun, rusty stone chips will be all but non-existent and you don't have to worry about fading paint or scuff marks from a traditional bra.

As I understand it, it's a b!tch to apply. The guy I'm going to said he's done stuff like this for 20 years and these kits still get him excited. They download a plan from xpel and a knife-wielding printer cuts it out of sheet stock right there.

I'll try and do some before and after shots and post them.

·
Registered
50 Posts

not quite sure i see the diff....
but those fogs are not standard right?

·
Registered
526 Posts

Not to be a post whore, but here I am anyway....

Originally posted by Uno
not quite sure i see the diff....[/b]
That is exactly the point. You can barely see the outline of the film where the housing meets the body color.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Notwithstanding the others already listed, there's also Stongard. I've heard a lot of WRX owners use it so I assume it must be pretty tough.
I just spoke with one of their sales reps last week and the product is supposed to become available this week. No price yet.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

$450 is alot of coin to drop. I should have dropped maybe the leather from my order. Can't justify spending that much right now and by the time I can, I'm sure I'll have a few chips. It's irritating just thinking about it.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Yeah - I don't really want to spend it and don't really have it, but it's money very well spent, so here we go.

Look at it this way - once you can get the covering, you can first touch up any bad areas. Then, when the mask goes on, you're back to a flat finish - maybe a minor blemish will show, but if it's flat and shiny, you're not going to notice it nearly as much.

·
Registered
37 Posts

wish I new about this stuff prior to that truck spitting all of it's stones at my car!!! What a cheap mazda paint job... it didn't even take the lightest of abuse... now I've got a nice paint bill to cover before I can spend more $$$ for the clear film kit. I'm sure it'll be worth the price though.

·
Registered
207 Posts

I wouldn't be too quick to blame Mazda for the cheap paint. I believe there's a trend across the entire industry to switch from solvent-based to water-based paints - as water-based products are more environmentally-friendly. Of course, the downside is that these newer paints are more-susceptible to damage....

I was reading up on the X-Pel product and, yes, they do have kits for the 6i and 6S - I believe it totals to more that $450 US, and that's without application tools / materials and the $495 training course. So $450 installed is a good deal.

If I could get the film installed right from the factory...hmmmm.....but then that would just be another pricey dealer option (like ScotchGard and underbody coatings).

http://www.xpel.com/gallery.html - has more pictures of what the film looks like on cars, trucks, headlights

·
Registered
32 Posts

I got my rear bumper done and my driver side mirror by www.se-ex.com. I didn't have time to stay and finish the rest of it, I have to reschedule and finish up my front bumper, headlights, passenger side mirror and side skirts. Pretty reasonable for the price, since it's worth it to protect your paint job. Oh, I'm gonna have them tint my windows. Mine was the first 6 they had done too. Hahaha, nice name to the website too.

www.se-ex.com

·
Registered
683 Posts

Originally posted by mikey101

I got my rear bumper done and my driver side mirror by www.se-ex.com.  I didn't have time to stay and finish the rest of it, I have to reschedule and finish up my front bumper, headlights, passenger side mirror and side skirts.  Pretty reasonable for the price, since it's worth it to protect your paint job.  Oh, I'm gonna have them tint my windows.  Mine was the first 6 they had done too.  Hahaha, nice name to the website too.

www.se-ex.com[/b]
Pretty resonable? What was the price?

·
Registered
837 Posts

Anyone know where I can get this done in Toronto, Ontario Canada? I really want to put that stuff on the front end and the side mirrors.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Originally posted by Fuzzbear

Originally posted by mikey101

I got my rear bumper done and my driver side mirror by www.se-ex.com.  I didn't have time to stay and finish the rest of it, I have to reschedule and finish up my front bumper, headlights, passenger side mirror and side skirts.  Pretty reasonable for the price, since it's worth it to protect your paint job.  Oh, I'm gonna have them tint my windows.  Mine was the first 6 they had done too.  Hahaha, nice name to the website too.

www.se-ex.com[/b]
Pretty resonable? What was the price?
[/b][/quote]

It was around $500 bucks, but they're running a special now, check the website out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts