Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I looked at the hood of my car the other day and noticed QUITE a few paint chips. It's ticking me off that there are that many on my car already! Also, I've got scratches all over the front end from a tire tread that was sitting on the highway. I couldn't move to avoid it because I was boxed in so I had no choice but to hit it. Anyway, what can be done to fix the paint chips, other than getting the car repainted. How well does the touchup paint work? These chips are larger than the head of a pin. Should I touch it up myself or take it to the dealership to have them do it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Paint chips...'

ouch... sorry to hear this... I am not sure.. depends how deep the chips are.. are they down to the metal?... IMHO i would take a wait and see approach... do you expect to get more? last thing you want to do is touch them up everytime you see a chip.. you'll have touch up marks all over the front of your car... :sarc

·
Registered
20 Posts

check out autopia.com. They have a section of HOW TO's that can help. I read this once, foudn away to do it right. Takes a little time, but came out great. Used a eraser off a pencil with some sandpaper to ruch the ara up, then fill it with touch up paint... lather rinse repeat.....

Worked out awesome for me...

Then, get a Bra or Clear Bra.:D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Paint chips...

MHO -

Do the suggested reading and then find the best body man in your area and have him help you.

Then go to www.xpel.com and find a local installer in your area. I had mine done last week. All the repair will be for nothing if you don't protect it in the future. A regular bra does it's own special number on the paint, regardless of how careful you are - eventually it'll cause ugly trouble.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Damn, I hate chips! (Well, not the potato kind...)

Best way to get rid of 'em is not getting them in the first place. But once you've got them - it depens a lot on your paint color.

Light colors can be touch-up painted with a fair result. But dark colors -never even bother trying. Have the hood repainted.

What was said about waiting is true. If you wait a bit you see if you start to get rust. Probably you won't, but you better make sure. If you get no rust - clean the chip with a tad of alcohol, make sure it's really dry and then apply touch-up.

If you get rust, you need to get some pro to help you, or you will end up very sad indeed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

How much would a new hood cost in comparison to just getting it painted? Maybe I should wait until they come out wiht a carbon fiber hood for the 6. That'd be tight. Especially since my car is steel metallic grey....

·
Registered
526 Posts

Light colors can be touch-up painted with a fair result. But dark colors -never even bother trying. Have the hood repainted.[/b]
I respectfully disagree - 1. I've had exceptional luck repairing dark colors. 2. Having the hood repainted can have a negative effect on resale. If it's not done right, especially on dark colors - it'll blink on and off "re-paint". Plus, it treats the symptom and not the problem. Same with a CF hood. You'll just end up chipping that as well - and how in the world do you repair that?

Personally - I'd fix the chips as best possible, perhaps going so far as to have a body man do the touch up work. Good paint guys can work some sweet magic. Then I'd have someone apply a clear mask to it (www.xpel.com). That'll hide irregularities in the touch-up even more. I did it and don't sweat chips now.

If the touch-ups aren't good enough for you, then you can have the whole hood done or get the CF hood. But without some sort of protection, you're better off touching up and dealing with what you've got. It'll just return anyway no matter what you do.

Also - how you appraoch and follow other cars has a MAJOR influence on collecting chips. The manual even states words to the effect that at 50mph, rocks can be thrown onto the front of your car as much as 150 back. I adjusted the way I drove and for 2500 miles in heavy Winter weather, had nary a chip. Even had an encounter with a salt truck coming the other way. Then I got the clear mask applied.

·
Registered
20 Posts

With the clear coat on the front isn't there a concern about discoloration at the demarcation line. I would have expected that the fading to be noticeable. ie the point beyond the clear covering is more likely to fade faster. Has anyone had enough experience with this effect.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I asked several different people about this. Each time I was told fade was a non-issue. The plastic does not inhibit UV rays from penetrating to the paint.

·
Registered
526 Posts

From the owner's manual:

The paint chipping zone varies with the speed of the vehicle. For example, when traveling at 90 km/h (56 mph); the paint chipping zone (distance behind other vehicles) is 50 m (164 ft).

• In low temperatures a vehicle’s finish hardens. This increases the chance of paint chipping.
• Chipped paint can lead to rust forming on your Mazda. Before this happens, repair the damage by using Mazda touch-up paint according to the instructions in this section. Failure to repair the affected area could lead to serious rusting and expensive repairs.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

MHO -  

Do the suggested reading and then find the best body man in your area and have him help you.

Then go to www.xpel.com and find a local installer in your area.  I had mine done last week.  All the repair will be for nothing if you don't protect it in the future.  A regular bra does it's own special number on the paint, regardless of how careful you are - eventually it'll cause ugly trouble.[/b]
ruefus - what does it take to get those clear bras to chip, tear, etc.?

·
Registered
526 Posts

Dunno really. It's tough stuff and I'd say quite a bit. Being adhered to the car - tearing isn't going to happen unless somebody trys. Chipping won't 'cause the plastic still maintains some flexibility - it isn't rigid at all.

It's made of urethane. Urethane's claim to fame has always been resistance to impact & abrasion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts