Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Tell me more about this aftermarket steering wheel. Unless internally it's an exact replacement for the stock wheel I can't see how the paddle parts will work with it.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/44572

You need to use the horn button and steering wheel switches from your old steering wheel. I believe the only thing that actually changes is the shape of the steering wheel. It is a D-Shaped wheel.

Worst case, If it doesn't work I will determine what I want more, a D-shaped wheel or paddle shifters. I will sell the other, hopefully they work together.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would have thought so too, but actually I love that with the paddles I can have the cruise control set, and going down a steep grade all I have to do is flick the up shift paddle to hold 6th gear. It will stay in 6th (and depending on the steepness of the hill, will increase speed) until the terrain levels out and then switch back to full auto mode. Otherwise the trans would downshift to maintain whatever speed had been set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I successfully added paddle shifters to my 2014 Mazda 6 AT Touring. You can do this for around $200 for parts/shipping.

You'll need:

GJS2-66-3P0B - Paddle shift switches w/wire harness and screws. $80.00
GJS2-32-049 - Rear cover for steering wheel. $78.25
GJS2-66-4M2 - Wiring to adapt to non-paddle equipped cars. $21.72

A comprehensive shop manual is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED anytime you work on your car. Available all over eBay on CD or download for under $15.
Do you think this is possible on a 2016 Mazda 6 ? Also, what kind of tools do you need?

BTW, I got the Nav SD card for $180 :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
About to do the conversion as well. I was wondering if I need any specific tools as well? I already swapped the light/fog lights switch and that was pretty straight forward plug n play, but it had nothing to do with the wiring.

·
Registered
213 Posts
No special tools needed. Something like a flat tipped punch to release the three airbag retainers (I ground the tip off an old screwdriver), common screwdrivers, and your Mazda lug wrench for the steering wheel bolt.

This guy did a good writeup with excellent pics, but for his CX-5. Wiring is not as complicated on our 6's since the car is equipped with paddles on the GT and all AT models have the wiring in place making it plug-n-play. No connector wiring is modified and the column covers are not removed.

Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5

·
Registered
4 Posts
No special tools needed. Something like a flat tipped punch to release the three airbag retainers (I ground the tip off an old screwdriver), common screwdrivers, and your Mazda lug wrench for the steering wheel bolt.

This guy did a good writeup with excellent pics, but for his CX-5. Wiring is not as complicated on our 6's since the car is equipped with paddles on the GT and all AT models have the wiring in place making it plug-n-play. No connector wiring is modified and the column covers are not removed.

Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5
Thanks for the advise! I'll try and make some pictures as I go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a youtube video of the install on CX-5..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go0M_AZlrXU

But keep in mind, as SVS noted,
Wiring is not as complicated on our 6's since the car is equipped with paddles on the GT and all AT models have the wiring in place making it plug-n-play. No connector wiring is modified and the column covers are not removed.
I am still a little confused as to why some installs remove the buttons whereas the one in the video doesn't. Do we need to remove them so that the replacement harness GJS2-66-4M2 can be plugged in?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I am probably going to attempt this very soon(modding bug hits again), I feel like adding the paddle sifters makes a car feel that much more sporty, using the +/- on the shift lever just don't feel the same.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am still a little confused as to why some installs remove the buttons whereas the one in the video doesn't. Do we need to remove them so that the replacement harness GJS2-66-4M2 can be plugged in?
Yes, you will. He's using a kit that requires some pin work, adding wiring to the existing harness in a couple of places. This seems to be required on the CX-5. If you use the parts I listed you will have to remove the switch pods to replace that whole harness. You will not have to remove the upper and lower column covers (as he did) or add any wiring under there.

The clips on those switch pods are a hard (read breakable) plastic, however they go through and engage with a somewhat flexible rubber mount. I broke one only because I didn't fully understand how they were attached. It doesn't matter one bit, and they are very secure without it. Knowing what I know now, I would apply a little heat to the plastic clips and surrounding rubber area with a hair dryer to gently work the clips past the rubber mount before lifting the switch pods free.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have gathered all the parts and will have a go at installing them later today. Part numbers have changed around since SVS retrofitted his car, here are the parts and part #s . My paddle shifters did not come with screws so I had to order them separately from my local dealer

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hopefully this is not too difficult, I drive a lot and some days the paddles would add a bit of excitement to my dull commute.
I find myself using the manual mode often, usually passing slow cars on the highway

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ok, I just finished installing them, its pretty straight forward and i followed youtube videos(cx5) and the shop manual available on this website. Went for a 50 mile test drive city/freeway/twisty mix, they are great. The best function they have is "auto mode override", Which lets you temporary shift gears while still on D mode, then after a brief time of no shiftier usage it goes back to full auto D mode again. great for freeway passing/changing lanes when you need to drop a few gears quickly.

here is a word of caution though. Be very very careful removing the steering wheel button modules. they are a bit tight and i ended up snapping the plastic hook/pin on both modules (one on each module, very fragile) when i was removing it to change the wiring harness. But honestly those hooks aren't really important, and they will reinstall more than tight enough with the broken pins.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
To avoid confusion with parts needed here is all the comparable part numbers that I know of and what quantity are needed to made this mod successfully work. I wouldn't been able to figure this out fully without SVS's helpful posts as well as the CX5 guys over at mazda247.

so as of today, the part numbers are:

Paddle Shifters: (Pick either one)
-
GJY1-76-3P0: this appears to be the latest part number for paddle shifters, when i ordered them it did not come with screws to install them. this part replaces GJS2-66-3P0B. I have this installed
-GJS2-66-3P0B: original part number for for paddle shifters, can still be ordered off some online parts stores, and of course works with the 6

Rear Cover:
- GJS2-32-049: part number hasn't been changed since SVS posts his list of parts

Wiring Harness: (Pick either one)
-BNK8-66-4M2: same deal with the paddle shifters, apparently this part has replaced the original GJS2-66-4M2. I have this harness and all steering wheel functions work.
-GJS2-66-4M2: still can be ordered on some websites, and is the original part number for the steering wheel harness

Fasteners and other Hardware:
-9YA0-11-007: bolt that secures the steering wheel, it's optional as you can reuse the old bolt but it is recommended to replace it as its supposedly a one time torque bolt, bolt has some form of blue thread locker on it
-GJS2-32-750: screw to secure the paddles to the cover and steering wheel, you will need to order 4 total. This screw also had the blue thread locker. according to SVS his came with screws packaged with the paddles, mine didn't so YMMV on having screws included

·
Registered
213 Posts
But honestly those hooks aren't really important, and they will reinstall more than tight enough with the broken pins.
This can't be emphasized enough and shouldn't dissuade anyone from doing this mod. As I said in an earlier post, try a bit of heat to soften things up, and if you break one anyway, no big deal. Everything goes back together just fine and the switch pods are as secure as they were before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm really liking this idea. There are only a few things the GT had over my Touribg which I'd like to have and the paddles are one. I wonder how the warranty would look at this mod and what the leasing company would think. Although I more than likely will be buying mine at lease end.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts