Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 6s MTX with 16k on it.

Yesterday, while driving I experienced a powerloss issue similar to what is described for the throttle body problem. Felt just like TCS kicked in - put the pedal to the floor, but the car would barely move. At the same time, a CEL came on. After I brought it to a stop, the idle fluctuated wildly. Shut the car off and restarted it. Idled and drove fine, but the CEL was still on. Brought the car into the dealer who told me that "these cars need to be recalibrated once in a while" and they applied the latest update (goodbye 7k redline). F. I asked him what the code was and he told me P0638. Just looked it up on 6tech, and that code does not seem to exist for the 3.0L - it does exist for the 2.3L.

FWIW, a P0638 on a 2.3 is "P0638 Throttle actuator control range/performance ON 1 CCM ´ (See DTC P0638)"

Has there been an update to the 3.0L CEL codes or is it time to call BS? I get nothing but bad service from this dealer, so I am guessing they don't want to replace the TB. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The replys to my post were lost due to the site restore, but I did get a chance to read them. Just wanted to say thanks for explaining that the code I received was a "generic" OBD2/CAN code and was legitimate for my car. I did speak to the service manager yesterday afternoon and he stated that since there were throttle body fixes in the latest PCM update, Mazda's procedure is to flash the PCM prior to authorizing a throttle body replacement. If I get the code again, he will replace the TB.

Hopefully, this won't leave me stuck somewhere in the future with a dead throttle body.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
jazisded
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing