Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my fellow Oz MPS owners - just curious as I rang my dealer that I purchased the MPS from in Brisbane which is approx 1500Kms from where I live and he told me that Service Bulletin NS034406 is outstanding on the vehicle which is the "Lack of Power" issue which requires the reflash of the PCM - anyone else as I haven't noticed it OR maybe I just dont drive the car hard enough:)...he also said that the expansion bottle hose that connects to the radiator neck is another issue but mine does not leak (is clamped anyway) so not really worried - would be interested to know if there is anybody else :drive:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Thanks for the headup davidn.

Yes, I had my car re-reflashed at my 10,000K service as it is one of the update bulletin when the car connected to the WDS system. I don't feel much of the change in terms of power but the car does seem to be a touch smoother between gears. Can't find the exact firmware number so not sure if that is the latest or not.

Apparently small amount of MPS does suffer from power-loss issue for us ppl DownUnder as well, but I too never felt or experienced any either.

With the radiator hose re-call, I just clamp it with some hose clamp and the issue is gone. Didn't bother for them to fix it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the headup davidn.

Yes, I had my car re-reflashed at my 10,000K service as it is one of the update bulletin when the car connected to the WDS system. I don't feel much of the change in terms of power but the car does seem to be a touch smoother between gears. Can't find the exact firmware number so not sure if that is the latest or not.

Apparently small amount of MPS does suffer from power-loss issue for us ppl DownUnder as well, but I too never felt or experienced any either.

With the radiator hose re-call, I just clamp it with some hose clamp and the issue is gone. Didn't bother for them to fix it.
[/b]
No problems with my Dec 2005 built MPS....if it's down on power I would like to see it at full power! Maybe they did all that at its first 1000 km service...I'll have to ask.

TO OZ OWNERS: When were your OZ cars built...anyone out there with a 2006 built and plated car....none sold in the whole of the Hunter I was told so I'm a bit worried out the continuance of the MPS ..heard any whispers....??

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Honestly I don't think we get a lot of new MPS owners atleast not with new members from the online forums as such. So I know most are with pre-2006 built date.

I have the feeling the 6 MPS is in a rather peculiar market at this moment in time, where ppl who after for performance wouldn't hesitate to spend big on V8 or cult status STI/EVO as these ppl wouldn't careless about fuel price and consumptions. But these same ppl would look down on the newly surface but un-known quality (atleast to them) of Mazda models.( I know this as I let my mate who is mostly in HSV or RX6-TURBO kind of cars, drove mine and he was really surprise with the outcome and now he has high praise to the MPS, but how many die-hard car enthusiast will walk into a Mazda dealer for a test drive of this car? ) As these models don't come cheap :(

Other who are more cautious in terms of fuel economy and such may want the size and look of the 6 but wouldn't spend the dosh for the performance version as there is no point for them, they only want luxurious items where the 6 Lux model offers.

So this leaves out a kind of hole where the 6 MPS unfortunately fall into and there goes the sale figure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So I know most are with pre-2006 built date.

So this leaves out a kind of hole where the 6 MPS unfortunately fall into and there goes the sale figure.
[/b]
I like the xclusivity of the MPS6... In a big place (relatively) like Newcastle there are only two that I have seen on a regular basis...mine and a black one...

Do you know of any 06 built cars??

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I like the xclusivity of the MPS6... In a big place (relatively) like Newcastle there are only two that I have seen on a regular basis...mine and a black one...

Do you know of any 06 built cars??
[/b]
I feel the same way to mine :) Now I have it de-badged, and no one knows what it is until I blast them out of the door :D

No, I don't think I know of anyone just yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problems with my Dec 2005 built MPS....if it's down on power I would like to see it at full power! Maybe they did all that at its first 1000 km service...I'll have to ask.

TO OZ OWNERS: When were your OZ cars built...anyone out there with a 2006 built and plated car....none sold in the whole of the Hunter I was told so I'm a bit worried out the continuance of the MPS ..heard any whispers....??
[/b]
Seen around 10 in Canberra now but I must admit I have seen more MPS 3's lately than MPS 6's on the road - nice car the 3 but had to look pretty close and then still wasn't sure till I saw the MPS badge - another sleeper! btw mine's an October 2005 build :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my 6MPS only 2 weeks ago. Its Jul06 built and Aug06 complied. I've seen 2 other on the road since I have had mine, and both were liquid silver (like mine).

I think the reasons they are exclusive are much like M6Gr8 said. It will be interesting to see how the reintroduction of the liberty gt goes in the upcoming months. It's really the only other car in the same category as the MPS6 (turbo-charged sports sedan for ~ $50k).

I'll be asking the fellow if the powerflash has been applied when I take it for the 1k service which I'm due for. Thus far I haven't had a much stronger 'pushed into seat' feeling when acceleration for 40/50kph in 2nd as in 3rd. But I haven't been racing it very hard yet either since its early days.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Seen around 10 in Canberra now but I must admit I have seen more MPS 3's lately than MPS 6's on the road - nice car the 3 but had to look pretty close and then still wasn't sure till I saw the MPS badge - another sleeper! btw mine's an October 2005 build :)
[/b]
The speed3 is already out in OZ? I guess you guys get the car before we do.

BTW, blimpyboy, you car shouldn't need it (I am assuming). Well, at least for the US cars, those that were built after like April or May already have the fix.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Congrat to the new toy blimpyboy. Hope more will join us here especially if you are from Downunder, so we know there are still ppl out there buying the MPS :)

Yes, as hawk1500 said, the later model should probably have the up to date firmware on it for the start. No harm in asking at the service though.

With the Speed3/MPS3, this is really the first in any event that I have heard of, which we here Downunder get the release before anyone else in the globe, ofcourse have to be after the Jap release though.

L

·
0 Posts
Mine's appears to be a Jan 06 manufacture, and it has another Feb 06 local sticker. Got it in April, and it's now done about 6500km.

I asked the dealer in Sydney (West End Mazda) about the update when I was getting a 1500km service, and they said that as far as they new, it wasn't coming up as being required on my car. I'll wait and see what they say at the 10,000km.

Saw my first ever TV ad for the Mazda6 MPS tonight, on SBS just before Top Gear at 7:30pm. Has anyone else seen an ad for it in recent times? Are they going to give it another push?

I've only ever seen four other MPS's, two on the road, and two that were at the dealer (apparently owned by staff - the owners son and someone else). I'd call that fairly exclusive.

Has anyone seen any comparisons with the new Liberty GT that is being advertised?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Saw my first ever TV ad for the Mazda6 MPS tonight, on SBS just before Top Gear at 7:30pm. Has anyone else seen an ad for it in recent times? Are they going to give it another push?

Has anyone seen any comparisons with the new Liberty GT that is being advertised?
[/b]
Yeh I was flicking through channels and caught the tail end of the add. I'd like to see it from the start but haven't had the opportunity yet. Missed top gear tonight unfortunately.

Am also keen for comparisons with the new liberty GT. I've noticed they notched up the HP to 184 (from 180), so we still have bragging rights with 190. I read a bit about the 'SI Drive' feature of the new liberty's in wheels recently (Aus or September), but no direct comparisons with the MPS6. Of course there are plenty of comparisons with the MPS6 and the previous generation liberty.

BTW, I looked at the prices of the liberty GT and its MSRP of > $57k which is significantly greater than the MPS6 when considering the discounts you can get on the mazda these days.

T

·
0 Posts
Mine is a Feb 06 build. Ordered it in April for a new financial year pickup. Now has 4700kms on it. Was talking to the dealer a few weeks ago and they said to pop down and try the latest PCM release. They tried to download it but my car wouldn't take it. Obviously has some switch in it that won't accept downloads unless there is a fault.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Davidn - I had the reflash done at 10,000km service. Can't say i've noticed any difference

My old man has a Feb '06 build, March '06 compliance MPS. The main difference i've found between his and mine is the clutch. His has a more progressive feel to it, not as snappy and on/off as mine - makes it alot easier to drive smoothly. I plan to adjust my clutch sometime this week. Mine is Dec 05 build

In addition to what's been said, and with the MPS being touted as a 'sports/luxury' sedan, one thing that is hurting the 6MPS is the lack of an auto transmission. Personally i wouldn't buy an auto version, but i've heard up to 70% of the Liberty GTs sold were autos. Mazda has an auto hooked up to the CX-7 and it utilises the DISI turbo engine, so why not use it in the 6MPS?. Packaging/space issues may be to blame. I think they would sell more 6MPSs if an auto was available as an option

Hopefully we'll see a comparison of the new Liberty GT and MPS soon. I'd guess the new GT will be slightly faster than the old one, but the biggest difference will be in power and torque delivery. The 2.5l engine in the new GT is the same as that in the WRX/STI, and they seem to have a better spread of torque across the rev range with this engine. So in-gear acceleration will most probably be improved, but i doubt it will match the in-gear acceleration of the 6MPS if torque figures are anything to go by. I'll have to take a new GT for a test drive and see if my predictions hold up :) Keen to try the new six speed manual in the Spec B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think the 07 LIberty does look better than the older models and with the 2.5 motor, it is seriously a good competitor to the MPS. Love to hear what you say about the Lib GT, Nick.

Glad to know there are fair few 06 MPS out there too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Davidn - I had the reflash done at 10,000km service. Can't say i've noticed any difference

My old man has a Feb '06 build, March '06 compliance MPS. The main difference i've found between his and mine is the clutch. His has a more progressive feel to it, not as snappy and on/off as mine - makes it alot easier to drive smoothly. I plan to adjust my clutch sometime this week. Mine is Dec 05 build

In addition to what's been said, and with the MPS being touted as a 'sports/luxury' sedan, one thing that is hurting the 6MPS is the lack of an auto transmission. Personally i wouldn't buy an auto version, but i've heard up to 70% of the Liberty GTs sold were autos. Mazda has an auto hooked up to the CX-7 and it utilises the DISI turbo engine, so why not use it in the 6MPS?. Packaging/space issues may be to blame. I think they would sell more 6MPSs if an auto was available as an option

Hopefully we'll see a comparison of the new Liberty GT and MPS soon. I'd guess the new GT will be slightly faster than the old one, but the biggest difference will be in power and torque delivery. The 2.5l engine in the new GT is the same as that in the WRX/STI, and they seem to have a better spread of torque across the rev range with this engine. So in-gear acceleration will most probably be improved, but i doubt it will match the in-gear acceleration of the 6MPS if torque figures are anything to go by. I'll have to take a new GT for a test drive and see if my predictions hold up :) Keen to try the new six speed manual in the Spec B
[/b]
thanks for the imput...going to the dealer tommorow for the reflash...told me to wait for 15 mins whilst it's been carried out...hope it still goes or even starts:) Having a read of the specs of the new GT the KW is down by 6 and their reasoning is to make it more suitable for 95RON, NM is around 339/3600 + 6.5 0-100K's so make of that how you will. Personally, I am not a big lover of automatic turbo's besides you have more control with a manual - but that's just me.

Lots of Auto Liberty GT's for sale, in fact too many...people just dont want to hang on to them...have a look at some of the online car sales in Oz - not quite sure what the go is there? btw I nearly bought the LGT late last year but after driving the MPS it blew me away and now resides in my garage! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts