Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@sav and @TitaniumVT

It seems that you'll be going the "long way" since you never mentioned renting a Dyno.
How long is the "long way?" Isn't it pretty much just as long as you make it? From these forums, basically everyone that has gotten an OVTune has gone the "long way," so idk if it's even worth going to the dyno.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree. I don't think a dyno run is worth it anymore since OVT is discontinuing support for Mazdas.

Whatever the dyno shows, it's not going to matter as no one will be able to take advantage of the information to decide whether or not to get the OV tune.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks Nostalgic Hero. It's good to hear that the Medalion install is straightforward - looks like I'll be ordering that next. I'm primarily interested in getting the 87 octane tune, but will also request the 91 octane file. Sometimes the difference in gas prices is fairly minimal in my area, so it would be good to have both.

I've got a Racing Beat Power Pulse exhaust which is also a cat-back. It was super easy to install, like he said two bolts and a few rubber exhaust hangers to negotiate.

Side bar/tangent thought...

I wonder if this is why furniture shops have their "Going out of business" sales to drum up extra foot traffic to motivate those who may have been on the fence. Since this is OV's last hurrah for new Mazda tunes I wonder how many folks like ourselves got off said fence and made the purchase?

Or maybe it's just the handful of us...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I agree. I don't think a dyno run is worth it anymore since OVT is discontinuing support for Mazdas.

Whatever the dyno shows, it's not going to matter as no one will be able to take advantage of the information to decide whether or not to get the OV tune.
What I am referring is the final tune. If I'm not mistaken, you get the initial tune then you need to run your car for quite a while. I think you need to have a clear road to do some spirited drive. Again if I'm not mistaken, that is the relearning process. I don't know how long and how many times you should do this and at what interval. Our local OVT group has some members that needs to get their final tune. And they have been waiting for quite some time for it.

In my case since I rented a dynamometer, Mat was online and he was tweaking the tune for three hours.

With all that I've said, that is what I meant "the long way". If you'll be renting a dynamometer, you get the final tune. Now that Mazda is no longer their priority...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Archerfish. I'll look into a dyno rental when OVT is ready to start on my tune. Given that you've gone through this process already, is there anything else you'd recommend we do to get a good outcome from the tune? Looking back, is there anything you would have done differently?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Archerfish. I'll look into a dyno rental when OVT is ready to start on my tune. Given that you've gone through this process already, is there anything else you'd recommend we do to get a good outcome from the tune? Looking back, is there anything you would have done differently?
My recommendation is to inform Mat about the dyno so that he will be online during the process. Of course, you need your laptop and a fast internet connection.

If you are planning some modifications like replacing the exhaust, removing the catalytic converter, etc., then I suggest that you do it now before OVT. This will save you the trouble of contacting Mat in the future. I'm not saying that he won't entertain you after the deadline since you are not a "new" customer. Rather, it is just to save time and effort.

Looking back before I had OVT, I really don't know. I mean, I really don't know what I'll get with OVT back then. I have a very limited knowledge about cars, much more about modifications.

Honestly, I don't know if the additional 20+ HP can be felt with my everyday driving. I'm not even sure about performance when I tried it last time during our racing event. Perhaps the reason is because of my ignorance that I don't know what to expect so I "missed" what I should have observed with the change from stock to OVT.

I hope this isn't a stretch for me to say this but I think it's more of a "bragging rights" with my decision about OVT. It's like, "Hey! I've got 200 HP on my wheels and I have the dyno results." Sorry about that and now that I mentioned it, I think that's the only reason why I insisted on using a dynamometer. I wanted to be sure that the "additional power" is not a placebo effect.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I talked to DRTuned and they said that they will have 2.5T support in the new year.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you specifically ask them to "stretch" the near-Atkinson cycle mode up a bit they can at OVT, and it's worthwhile if you drive on the freeway since you can remain in that mode right up to about 72mph with a MTX (instead of under 70mph.) One of my BIGGEST gripes with the stock ECU calibration is that it's completely out of "nice fuel economy mode" with a MTX at LESS THAN 70mph on flat ground. The difference is profound; at 65mph, stock, you can return 41mpg. At 70, stock, it's UNDER 35! Tuned you can hit 37-38 AT THE SAME SPEED. Incidentally the shorter gearing in the highest gear, which results in that NOT happening with the ATX at 70mph, is why the ATX has slightly better "highway" F/E ratings than the MTX does.

That extra few mpg doesn't sound like a big deal but it results in a ~2-4mpg improvement in fuel economy if you take long trips with the cruise pegged at 70mph. Over a lot of miles IT MATTERS and can even pay for the tune if you drive as much as I do. What's "a lot of driving"? Well.... http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/6/2015/tickerguy/279156

HP lift isn't the big deal -- it's not enough to be all THAT much. What IS a big deal is the lower-end "grunt" lift (torque); that is noticeable immediately and makes a large difference in the driving experience. IMHO it's worth doing for that alone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you specifically ask them to "stretch" the near-Atkinson cycle mode up a bit they can at OVT, and it's worthwhile if you drive on the freeway since you can remain in that mode right up to about 72mph with a MTX (instead of under 70mph.) One of my BIGGEST gripes with the stock ECU calibration is that it's completely out of "nice fuel economy mode" with a MTX at LESS THAN 70mph on flat ground. The difference is profound; at 65mph, stock, you can return 41mpg. At 70, stock, it's UNDER 35! Tuned you can hit 37-38 AT THE SAME SPEED. Incidentally the shorter gearing in the highest gear, which results in that NOT happening with the ATX at 70mph, is why the ATX has slightly better "highway" F/E ratings than the MTX does.

That extra few mpg doesn't sound like a big deal but it results in a ~2-4mpg improvement in fuel economy if you take long trips with the cruise pegged at 70mph. Over a lot of miles IT MATTERS and can even pay for the tune if you drive as much as I do. What's "a lot of driving"? Well.... http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/6/2015/tickerguy/279156

HP lift isn't the big deal -- it's not enough to be all THAT much. What IS a big deal is the lower-end "grunt" lift (torque); that is noticeable immediately and makes a large difference in the driving experience. IMHO it's worth doing for that alone.

Does stretching the atkinson cycle work on ATX also??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Does stretching the atkinson cycle work on ATX also??
No idea but it would be far less useful if useful at all IMHO.

I suspect the reality is that the INTENT was for it to reach into the mid 70mph range originally, and it does with the ATX. Remember that wind drag increases with the SQUARE of the velocity, and at a certain point the load is high enough that the more-efficient option doesn't work any more and the engine HAS to shift out of that mode to a more-like otto-cycle mode to be able to produce the required power.

The use of VVT to obtain what amounts to variable-compression along with being able to "shape" the combustion cycle to look more like Atkinson is one of the reasons SkyActiv returns the sort of economy it does; at modest speeds and load (e.g. constant 45-50mph on flat ground) I have observed VERY close to if not achieving 50mpg!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Tickerguy. Truth be told, I was thinking of just asking Mat to "Please give me same tune you gave tickerguy." :) Knowing how thorough you are and how much you worked through every detail of your tune, I don't think I could do better on my own.

Improving driveability and performance at the low end (i.e., off the line, and through 1st to 3rd gears) is mainly what I'm interested in. With most of my driving happening in-city at under 50mph, outright top-end performance isn't that meaningful for me. Achieving improved gas mileage (to the extent it's possible) would just be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks @tickerguy for the detailed explanation of your tune. It has been explained to me by a friend of mine that there is a slight increase in fuel economy.

I observed that most members here have the gasoline variant and what I have is the 2.2 diesel. In relation to this, there is this so called "diesel dilemma". Designers wanted a fuel efficient engine while delivering maximum power. Then, there's the mandate of the government to comply with emission standards.

Ideally, the higher the compression ratio means the higher is the thermal efficiency. This is what we all want. Then there's the emission standard so designers have to comply and thus reducing efficiency to reduce NOx and SOx byproducts.

As you have mentioned, OVT can tweak the settings such that the engine is much efficient and powerful compared to stock. Of course, removing the catalytic converter can be illegal in some places.

With that in mind, I decided to go with the "OVT stock". At the very least, I haven't done any "modifications" that can be detrimental to the environment. The emission itself is harmful but I know you know what I mean. So unless I will dedicate this car as a race car, I'll stick with "stock plus OVT".

21 - 32 of 32 Posts