Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
I have no problems with that! I'd be curious to find out prices on tuning anyways. I will get a tune that is provided with the supercharger kit but having a 2nd set of eyes never hurts.

Is the general consensus that the stock airbox is superior to most/all aftermarket options? I have been running the AEM CAI with heat shield for the past 4 years and now am about to go back to stock after reading some posts here and elsewhere. VT Racing stated it would be best to have the stock intake with their kit as well.
In conjunction with the supercharger we have no idea which intake is the best, and yes I'm a big believer in the Injen long tube true cold air intake :)
These cars, and especially our ECUs, are pretty remarkable engineering, so depending on all the variables probably majority of the time people change the intake on Skyactiv engines there not really netting any gain, just shifting which rpm it's optimized for, and depending on what the ECU does or doesn't do can completely alter the results...
Also, VT is just very risk averse, much like OEM...

I worked with Matt tuning my car in 2018, then worked with Rafa in 2019 to try to tune for higher octane and really push the NA power bounds.
In April 2021 I got the supercharger and got it tuned through VT, but at the time they hadn't encountered my ECU before, so it took some time, once tuned it felt really good but had a sense that it was a very safe OE style tune. In the end of 2021 I got in touch with DRTuned and began working with him so we could see if we can take this setup further.... I've been amazed at how he keeps pulling more power out with each revision the peak air flow is increasing, it's crazy!!! (max airflow with VT tune was 212G/s, now on rev 1.4 from DRTuned I'm consistently hitting 240G/s, and it's not done) (for reference max airflow NA peaks at 150G/s)

Anyways, fast forward to now, and Matt is exploding onto the boosted Skyactiv scene, and very pro-supercharger (vs. the CS Turbo kit), claiming he's going to make the highest power boosted Skyactiv engines... :devilish:

I emailed days ago about joining the beta, I think I'm in, but haven't gotten confirmation yet, other than the agreement.

Very excited to see what he can do with this platform!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ahhhhhhh I need to get this kit paid off. It was brought to my attention yesterday that if I put the Torque Solutions lightweight crank pulley on when doing my water pump and belt tensioner, that I should get the car tuned. The thought was to help mitigate any potential problems, if any occurred to begin with. This was coming from one of the tech team members with Mazda MotorSports.

Since you have first-hand experience getting tunes from multiple people, any advice on what route I should go as I'll be getting re-tuned after the supercharger install (hopefully before the end of the year)?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Ahhhhhhh I need to get this kit paid off. It was brought to my attention yesterday that if I put the Torque Solutions lightweight crank pulley on when doing my water pump and belt tensioner, that I should get the car tuned. The thought was to help mitigate any potential problems, if any occurred to begin with. This was coming from one of the tech team members with Mazda MotorSports.
Um, ive never heard of that, and since the ECU can handle a non tuned S/C, i think youll be fine with a pulley.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts