Mazda 6 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
oh no my HU must be different i had 2 clips at the top, one in the middle along with the antenna wire, and two down bottom, i got the other ones but the one on towards the bottom middle wasnt coming out and it was hooked onto something else that didnt come off.

i actually got the auxmod into place and working without taking that harness and the HU completely out. i could kind of see where it went and i felt around and put it where it should go, it wasnt easy, but i got it working fine.

i have an 04 6s with manual climate control, im not sure if other people will have this problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got mine in without disconnecting the wiring on the head unit. I've got an 04 bose with auto climate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have an 03 6 with the bose system. I want to have an aux input port in my dash by that I can plug my mp3 player in to. So basically I want to have a cable running from the tape/md part of the unit to a port in my dash, then just plug mp3 player into port and play. Is this possible with the Sylfex? And if so how would I go about the installation?

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (SDotterer014 @ Jan 23 2010, 03:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631657
I have an 03 6 with the bose system. I want to have an aux input port in my dash by that I can plug my mp3 player in to. So basically I want to have a cable running from the tape/md part of the unit to a port in my dash, then just plug mp3 player into port and play. Is this possible with the Sylfex? And if so how would I go about the installation?[/b]
i printed these instructions off and used them as guides for installation-

http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/AuxModInstall.pdf

http://www.caradvanced.com/news/5/Mazda6-%...er-Console.html

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/6-626-ho...ion-mazda6.html
(only use this one up to a certain point then ignore)

just install it as normal -- until u are putting it all back together-- then if u do it as u have suggested u need to drill through the blank where the tape deck would've been- then u can get the wire with the correct fittings to create an imput on the dash.. forgotton what they call them but they are quite neat with a rubber seal etc. for the front of the dash

but before u do that-- can i ask why u want the input to be on the dash?!- i was gonna do this but then i avoided it- cos if u do it this way- it means u then have wires hanging down near your climate control and ashtray etc.--- messing up that area- i found the cup holder (or maybe even the armrest) is a much better place to have the wire come out from- i drilled a small hole in the cupholder as i had it out of the car for the installation anyway--- and fed the wire down past the handbrake and into it when i was re-assembling--- its just neater plus u can shut the cupholder completely which completely hides the player whilst still having it plugged in and working.

i found a 1.2m wire has given me about 4 or 5 inches of wire coming out from the cupholder to plug into my player

·
Registered
100 Posts
QUOTE (erry @ Jan 25 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632121
i printed these instructions off and used them as guides for installation-

http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/AuxModInstall.pdf

http://www.caradvanced.com/news/5/Mazda6-%...er-Console.html

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/6-626-ho...ion-mazda6.html
(only use this one up to a certain point then ignore)

just install it as normal -- until u are putting it all back together-- then if u do it as u have suggested u need to drill through the blank where the tape deck would've been- then u can get the wire with the correct fittings to create an imput on the dash.. forgotton what they call them but they are quite neat with a rubber seal etc. for the front of the dash

but before u do that-- can i ask why u want the input to be on the dash?!- i was gonna do this but then i avoided it- cos if u do it this way- it means u then have wires hanging down near your climate control and ashtray etc.--- messing up that area- i found the cup holder (or maybe even the armrest) is a much better place to have the wire come out from- i drilled a small hole in the cupholder as i had it out of the car for the installation anyway--- and fed the wire down past the handbrake and into it when i was re-assembling--- its just neater plus u can shut the cupholder completely which completely hides the player whilst still having it plugged in and working.

i found a 1.2m wire has given me about 4 or 5 inches of wire coming out from the cupholder to plug into my player[/b]

I was actually thinkin of putting the hole down lower near the cigarette lighter if possible

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (SDotterer014 @ Jan 26 2010, 03:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632292
I was actually thinkin of putting the hole down lower near the cigarette lighter if possible[/b]

That could work- although u might struggle finding a bit where u are only going through one layer of plastic-- because there's quite alot of stuff attached to the back of the dash aroundthere- good luck though- at the end of the day- there's loads of ways u can do it!

just remember to cover your gear shifter rod with a towel before pulling out the front of the dash-- cos u could easily scratch it!!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (erry @ Jan 26 2010, 01:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632359
That could work- although u might struggle finding a bit where u are only going through one layer of plastic-- because there's quite alot of stuff attached to the back of the dash aroundthere- good luck though- at the end of the day- there's loads of ways u can do it!

just remember to cover your gear shifter rod with a towel before pulling out the front of the dash-- cos u could easily scratch it!!!!![/b]
I had the same problem. Not alot of room down there, and the open spaces would be hard to find once together. I ended up putting it up in the top dash compartment. My wife can leave it hooked up and out of sight .

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (jasonc @ Jan 26 2010, 12:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632370
I had the same problem. Not alot of room down there, and the open spaces would be hard to find once together. I ended up putting it up in the top dash compartment. My wife can leave it hooked up and out of sight .[/b]
i thought about the top compartment aswell- but in the end i decided it was easier to get to it- for skipping tracks etc. if it was in the cupholder- because i can leave that open whilst driving- whereas the top compartment blocks my vision if i leave it open

as i said though- personal choice really!!- just make sure u buy a lead long enough for where u want it to go- cos it would be an arse to have to take it all apart again- once you've started putting it back together

-- oh yeh- just remembered-- the other reason i didn't fit a socket in the dash was because i thought it was another thing that could possibly get worn or broken- an unneccessary break in the circuit- if that makes sense!?

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (erry @ Jan 26 2010, 09:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632383
because i can leave that open whilst driving- whereas the top compartment blocks my vision if i leave it open[/b]
Umm. Just out of curiosity... I leave mine open all the time (I keep my GPS mounted in there) and the top of compartment doesn't even reach the bottom of the window from my seating position. How tall are you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (JDisturbed @ Jan 26 2010, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632417
Umm. Just out of curiosity... I leave mine open all the time (I keep my GPS mounted in there) and the top of compartment doesn't even reach the bottom of the window from my seating position. How tall are you?[/b]
6 foot 2- no it doesn't reach the bottom of the window- but it gets in my line of sight

also- the catch on it is a little fiddly!

i just find the cup holders more convenient to reach too!- than up to the top of the dash- plus my eyesight isn't perfect- although i normally wear my glasses to drive its not essential -- however i find the text on my iriver a little hard to read if its scrolling and its up up that far in front- bad i know!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The cord on mine is long enough is can still reach the cup holder while plugged in or can be left up in the dash compartment out of the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, ive skimmed through this thread somewhat, correct me if im wrong.

This is the only way of getting aux input on a mazda 6 2005 correct? and to get one i need to send overlaod an email and be put on a waiting list?

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (otacon132 @ Feb 8 2010, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635657
Hey guys, ive skimmed through this thread somewhat, correct me if im wrong.

This is the only way of getting aux input on a mazda 6 2005 correct? and to get one i need to send overlaod an email and be put on a waiting list?[/b]
That is not the only way to get an aux input on an 05. TheRPMStore has some http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...products_id=142 that will do a little more. They don't work on an 04 which is why I went with the auxmod. There website is not updated and they were recently in. Try e-mailing them, because there is a chance they still have some. I was on the wait list almost 6 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions, OP. I have a question though: Once the HU is removed, and replaced after installing the mod, does it need you to plug in a code of some sort? I just bought a used Mazda 6 and as far as I know the dealer din't give me a stereo code. :-l

Thanks much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have an 04 with climate control, just wanted to say I did this mod a couple of months ago and did not need to remove the entire center console. GLI is sitting under the cup holders now, and after using a razor to cut one of the plastic "grill" bars in the arm rest, I now can either leave my mp3 player in the armrest area or pull it out to control it, using the little opening for wires underneath the actual armrest. Whoever first came up with that route was brilliant.

Great mod.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed the Neo iPod adapter a few months ago with the help of this thread; particularly the links in post #304. Works fine. Trick of reaching around the side to plug it in didn't work for me at all (although tried for quite a while)-- that trick is probably only really worth attempting on right-hand-drive (since input plug is on left side of HU). Console wasn't difficult to take apart. Put the box in the empty space in bottom of HU, fit perfectly. Didn't use tape or anything to hold it in and so far have noticed no rattling. Threaded the cord through the cupholder. Hit "CD" button twice to get to it, didn't realize that for a while.

Thanks everyone for your posts in this and other threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed this kit on Monday - one note that I didn't see mentioned:

If you're leaving the existing 12v plug in the ashtray/shifter cover assembly in place - to get that piece back in to place you have to loosen the 12v plug in the receptor, and push it forward (outward). You can then put the ashtray/shifter cover in place, and then push the 12v socket back down and it will snap into place. I spent about fifteen minutes on my car trying to figure out how in the he!! that piece was supposed to go back in, since there's some physical interference with the shifter components (at least on a mtx).

The OP mentioned removing the 12v plug entirely and hiding it behind the dash to supply power to the iPod. I opted not to do this - I used the cables and miniplug adapters from the Radioshack ground loop isolator to run the line back to the center storage console, where there is an auxiliary 12v socket. Since my miniplug line is left exposed it should leave the input compatible with any other audio source (laptop, other non-Apple device, etc) and the cables will still be mostly hidden in the center console storage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will sysflex auxmod work with a 2003 mazda 6 luxury sports australian version (that is LHD) without any issues, cause I'm trying to find a way to install aux without that much hassle on my 03 mazda 6

301 - 320 of 342 Posts