Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly a year of waiting for an aux-in module, I finally received mine. I've decided it would be for the benefit of everyone if I documented my experience, and wrote a how-to. It is highly recommended that two people work together to remove the HU, but one person can do the job.

The aux-mod can be ordered from Sylfex for $50 plus $5 shipping. Currently, there is a wait list due to low supply and high demand.
Sylfex has an install guide for the aux-in module. However, the guide is not a comprehensive install guide because it is written for both the Mazda6 and RX-8.

This guide will provide instructions on installing the aux-mod. To keep the readability of this guide to a maximum, I will not describe all steps in detail. Instead I will reference to both the

instructions on removing the HU are provided at 6 tech and module install in the Sylfex guide.

How the 6tech guide is used:
The 6tech guide will be used for removing the HU. Please familiarize yourself with the instructions down to removal of the Head Unit(HU). You will not familiarize yourself with the rest of the document because there is no need to remove wiring/LCD panel for the aux-mod install.

How the Sylfex guide is used:
The Sylfex guide will pickup from HU removal to aux-mod installation. Look in appendix A for mazda6 HU removal instructions.

What you will need for the aux-mod install:
1. 10mm socket and 6 inch extension.
2. 10mm wrench to disconnect battery
3. Phillips screwdriver
4. Audio cable for running audio from your device to the HU.

You will need ~1 hour for the install of the module. However, it took me a day to do the install because I went insane routing cables afterward.

Perform the following:
1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Use a 10mm wrench.

2. Remove: Cup holder, shifter and glove box. The cup holder comes out if you open the cup holder and pull at the "handle" located on the passenger side. The shifter comes out if you remove the shift knob and pull up on the plastic trim. (Anyone know how to remove the atx shifter?). The glove box comes out if you remove the string on the right side, and squeaze both sides of the glove box.

3. Remove the"hidden bolt" behind the glove box. Use a 10mm socket and extension.(6tech guide)
4. For auto-climate: Remove the screws at the bottom of the HU.
for non-auto climate: Pull off the three knobs. Behind the left and right control knobs, there are 2 exposed screws.

5. Wrap a towel around the shifter rod. If you are lazy, put the knob back onto the shifter.
6. Pull out the HU by lifting out, then up. (Be sure to watch the video from the 6tech
guide).
7. With the HU out you will see several connectors on the back. Press down on the tabs and pull the connectors out. They are in there pretty tight, but be persistent and they will come out. DO NOT pull ON THE WIRES themselves, or you may destroy the harness. (connector locations are in the Sylfex guide)
Have a 2nd person support the HU as shown in the picture while you unplug the harnesses in the back.

-There are 3 harnesses plus the antenna coax to remove on non-autoclimate models. Here are the 4 connectors to give you an idea of where the connectors are located:

-There are 4 harnesses plus the antenna coax to remove on the autoclimate models.
8. Now, the HU is free, carefully remove it from the car.
9. Skip this step if you do not have a tape/MD module. Remove tape/MD devices that may be in the lower deck.(Sylfex guide)
10. It is now time to "ground yourself".
11. Remove the aux-mod from it's anti-static bag and check to make sure that it was not damaged during shipping- broken off parts, etc.
12. Find the connector on the bottom of the HU. Test fitment of the module on the HU. The back/paper side of the module should be contacting the metal "wall" of the HU. The connectors should line up perfectly, and the module requires zero force to insert.(Sylfex guide).

13. Once it is verified the module fits, it is time to clean the mounting surface with rubbing alcohol.(Syylfex guide)
14. Peel the paper off the back of the module, insert the module and press the module so it makes a solid mount. Please make sure the mounting surface/module are ~room temp so the adhesive works best.(sylfex guide)
15. Plug your audio cable into the module and secure the cable with zip ties. You want to secure it in such a way that if the cable is tugged on, the zip ties take the force, not the module. This is how I ziptied/ran the cable.

16. Plan a way to route the cable from the HU to your source (iPod/XM, etc).
17. Feed the other end of the audio cable through to the removed glove box. This will allow you to retrieve the aucio cable eaisly later.
18. Insert the HU back into the car. Be sure the audio cable is sitting in the U shaped tunnel at the bottom of the HU.

19. Line up the HU and push top, sides, bottom.
20. Replace the 2 screws/bolt, reconnect battery.
21. Route your audio cable.

The aux-mod in action:

Reactions: rasjuanmi

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note:
-Write down the AM/FM radio presets before disconnecting the battery.
-Audio beep disable: seek down + 5
-Do not use a cable that is longer than needed. For example, if you need 5 feet of cable, don't think you're smart by buying a 20 foot cable. This is because sound quality degrades as the cable length is increased.
-Do not route the audio cable parallel to power cables, unless you want "zoom zoom" humming noises. If you are getting humming noises, reroute your cables, and/or invest in a ground-loop isolator.
-While your ashtray is out, you can take the cigarette lighter socket out and stash it below your shifter trim. This will allow you to run power without the unsightly plugs sticking out the bottom of your HU.

I found that a 1 liter soda bottle cap fit perfectly into the hole left by the lighter socket.

Edit: I have pics, but they are on a friend's camera. I will get it posted later.
Edit2: Added pics. Special thanks to passwird for coming over and taking pictures.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. its my first writeup too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
cbob that is a sweet post. Thank you for sharing your experience! ... So tell us how its sounds!!!! i have satellite radio and an ipod through a hardwired modulater and i am so discouraged with the sound quality!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quality is excellent. I would rate the quality as ~mp3/cd- which is my expectation when used with the XM.

When I was using the FM modulator on my XM, I had to turn the volume to ~20 in order to be satisfied with the output level. Now, I'm satisfied with the volume at 5 and consider 10 to be my limit.

Currenetly, I have a ground-loop problem, but it only becomes apparent if I turn the volume up to above 10, so I'll fix it later.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt it, because the module emulates a tape deck.

but I'll ask overload.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi cbob,

Text contrl isn't feasable at this point. We also can't do it since we don't have a Mazda Spec. The PIE does it's "EX 1" label by using a mazda spec for an external CD changer. It's possible thta this spec has other things that may be of use for setting up an AUX type label, but it's not something that's easy to find, if it exists.

The actual text display on the LCD screen in MP3 or MD mode is controlled by a separate bus on the radio. In order for us to control the text on the LCD screen, we have to emulate one of these devices, and also set it up so that the text interface operates according to the spec (which we also don't have). This is something we're planning in the future, but instead of "Tape" the module will display "MD" or "Minidisc" You will then be able to press the text button to get the LCD text display from the interface that you are using.

This is pretty complex as to making it work logically and seamlessly enough for us to be satisfied with the operation. So, to put it in a nutshell, we can't really make it say Aux, (or AuxMod), at least not yet, and we don't think we'll be able to either, unless we discover some more capabilities in the radio that we aren't expecting.

Any major breakthroughs in this respect will be posted on our website. We're having a pretty busy time at the moment, so I can't promise anything too soon, but I'd like to start working on it in a few more weeks. We need to clean up our rather long wait list first though!

Regards,

OverLOAD

Originally posted by cbob@Mar 19 2005, 08:19 AM
I doubt it, because the module emulates a tape deck.

but I'll ask overload.
[snapback]380010[/snapback]​

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To the best of my knowledge, it should be the same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone had an idea about what number they are shipping out now. I am around #500 and just wanted to see where I stand. Thanks.
Svence

·
Registered
374 Posts
Originally posted by csvencer@Mar 28 2005, 02:24 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had an idea about what number they are shipping out now.  I am around #500 and just wanted to see where I stand.  Thanks.
Svence
[snapback]384741[/snapback]​
Email Overload... he's normally very quick to respond. Please post if you find out though... I think I'm around 417.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I am not exactly sure what number they are on, but I got an email saying that is was available to me because I was on the wait list. So I would assume they are up to 500. Tmeader...you get an email?
-Svence

·
Registered
374 Posts
Originally posted by csvencer@Apr 2 2005, 10:09 AM
Well I am not exactly sure what number they are on, but I got an email saying that is was available to me because I was on the wait list.  So I would assume they are up to 500.  Tmeader...you get an email?
-Svence
[snapback]387030[/snapback]​
Hmm, I just emailed them about it, since I was #438, and never received an email. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by csvencer+Apr 2 2005, 11:09 AM-->
Well I am not exactly sure what number they are on, but I got an email saying that is was available to me because I was on the wait list.  So I would assume they are up to 500.  Tmeader...you get an email?
-Svence
[snapback]387030[/snapback]​
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-tmeader
@Apr 2 2005, 02:47 PM
Hmm, I just emailed them about it, since I was #438, and never received an email. Thanks for the heads up.
[snapback]387097[/snapback]​
Hello,
csvencer, you were number 120 on the waitlist, and we have offered units up to number 194. We are trying hard to make enough units for everyone, but we still are having difficulties with sourcing the Mazda specific tape connector and getting the units mass produced. We'll keep everyone in the loop on the progress.

Thanks,

SimpleFix
The second half of Sylfex
[email protected]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the update SimpleFix. Sorry for giving everyone false hope. 120, sweet I guess the email I sent months ago wasn't lost, I guess I may be on the list twice.
-Svence

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hmm cant see the pics...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to verify, what's the type of cable used? Stereo mini-plug on the my mp3 player's side I know, but what plugs into the card?

1 - 20 of 342 Posts