Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I spun out of control went over some wet grass. Ever since then my check engine came on saying my O2 sensor has low voltage and when I’m sitting idly my engine soon will overheat. Only if I’m driving will the car not overheat. I checked for vacuum seal leaks and everything looks normal. Can anyone please tell me what’s wrong a friend said it can be a damaged gasket. So before I do all that. I’d like to find a cheaper and easier alternative. PS my abs and brake lights both came on and when they came on no sound from my radio nor my trunk opener works

·
Super Moderator
17,514 Posts
Check all your wires and grounds to make sure nothing got loose or dislodged or soaked during the spin - your symptoms are all so random that it sounds like an electrical gremlin snuck his way in.

Are you running out of coolant or seeing any white smoke when driving? Those would be signs of a gasket leak - and a gasket leak would be exacerbated when driving, so from your description it doesn't sound like that's the case. Get a laser thermal reader and see what the engine temp is during idle and after a bit of use to see if it's actually over heating or the warning is a red herring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check all your wires and grounds to make sure nothing got loose or dislodged or soaked during the spin - your symptoms are all so random that it sounds like an electrical gremlin snuck his way in.

Are you running out of coolant or seeing any white smoke when driving? Those would be signs of a gasket leak - and a gasket leak would be exacerbated when driving, so from your description it doesn't sound like that's the case. Get a laser thermal reader and see what the engine temp is during idle and after a bit of use to see if it's actually over heating or the warning is a red herring.
I never saw any smoke while driving only when I’m sitting on idle and engin is on H that smoke would be the coolant spewing out tho.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Overheating cant be electrical unless the fan got unplugged or you blew a fuse. ALWAYS check fuses first.
Checked all fuses everything is fine
I only bursted one fuse which is the main fuse before it goes to the electrical box

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just checked my 2007 "6". The fan came on even though the engine is 76 degrees sitting in my garage. I checked the wiring to the cooling fan and AC fan for my car, both are up high on the radiator including the fan control module so all wiring seems out of reach of anything going on under the car as a result of a spin out. Considering the fuse to be good, power needs to be checked going into the fan control module, if good then the fan is seriously suspect.
Many years ago I had a very weird head light issue. Thinking it could be a ground issue because the 4 lights were on all the time and didn't change much when going from low to high beam. While dark out and at work on break, I wiggled ground wires under the hood and found one that sparked with the lights turned on, I installed a larger screw to secure the wire terminal and never had anymore head light issues.
I have been working on cars for 60 years, I still like reading about the problems people have and if I can help will comment once in a while. So I am no expert on these "new" cars, my serious working on cars was long ago, I built a really fun turbo car way back in 1980. My occupation was commercial aviation aircraft, cars were a fun hobby.
My MS6 has DSC, (dynamic stab control), it has to have input from what the wheels are doing so the controller can correct what this old guy may do wrong, ha ha. The same with ABS, the module has to know what's going on at the wheels so the wires going to the brakes need to be checked to see if one got ripped loose during the spin out.
I just checked my hand brake light to see what it takes to turn it on. Pulling up an inch activates the brake light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked my 2007 "6". The fan came on even though the engine is 76 degrees sitting in my garage. I checked the wiring to the cooling fan and AC fan for my car, both are up high on the radiator including the fan control module so all wiring seems out of reach of anything going on under the car as a result of a spin out. Considering the fuse to be good, power needs to be checked going into the fan control module, if good then the fan is seriously suspect.
Many years ago I had a very weird head light issue. Thinking it could be a ground issue because the 4 lights were on all the time and didn't change much when going from low to high beam. While dark out and at work on break, I wiggled ground wires under the hood and found one that sparked with the lights turned on, I installed a larger screw to secure the wire terminal and never had anymore head light issues.
I have been working on cars for 60 years, I still like reading about the problems people have and if I can help will comment once in a while. So I am no expert on these "new" cars, my serious working on cars was long ago, I built a really fun turbo car way back in 1980. My occupation was commercial aviation aircraft, cars were a fun hobby.
My MS6 has DSC, (dynamic stab control), it has to have input from what the wheels are doing so the controller can correct what this old guy may do wrong, ha ha. The same with ABS, the module has to know what's going on at the wheels so the wires going to the brakes need to be checked to see if one got ripped loose during the spin out.
I just checked my hand brake light to see what it takes to turn it on. Pulling up an inch activates the brake light.
What grounding wire should I check; the negative terminal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Car's have numerous ground wires. You'll need the car's wiring diagram to find them all. Look for a symbol in the diagram that looks like an arrow head. All the ground wires will be solid black and connected to either a bolt attached to the body or the engine block.

Before you go hunting to for bad grounds, check that the fans are turning on. You say it's happening at idle which I take to mean standing still so the fans have to run to draw air over the radiator. If the fans aren't running the car's going to overheat. When you're moving at speed, the radiator is in the air stream and the fans aren't always necessary.

Reactions: Shawnrp91

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car's have numerous ground wires. You'll need the car's wiring diagram to find them all. Look for a symbol in the diagram that looks like an arrow head. All the ground wires will be solid black and connected to either a bolt attached to the body or the engine block.

Before you go hunting to for bad grounds, check that the fans are turning on. You say it's happening at idle which I take to mean standing still so the fans have to run to draw air over the radiator. If the fans aren't running the car's going to overheat. When you're moving at speed, the radiator is in the air stream and the fans aren't always necessary.
Ight so I’ll have to test that

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ight so I’ll have to test that
Going back to the original write up. An awful lot of issues started all at once from spinning out of control and not hitting anything. Something is missing here like car in water. None of the things malfunctioning seem related, the O2 sensor to radio not working and other things in between.
Thinking about this further, I believe a wiring schematic has to be studied to see what the common connection is to all of these failure issues. Going from each component backwards toward the power source and their grounds seems the only way to solve this cars problems. Why was the main fuse broken?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going back to the original write up. An awful lot of issues started all at once from spinning out of control and not hitting anything. Something is missing here like car in water. None of the things malfunctioning seem related, the O2 sensor to radio not working and other things in between.
Thinking about this further, I believe a wiring schematic has to be studied to see what the common connection is to all of these failure issues. Going from each component backwards toward the power source and their grounds seems the only way to solve this cars problems. Why was the main fuse broken?
I’ve never messed with wiring how do I know where the grounding wires are

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ground wire I was talking about pertained to the headlight circuit for a far less complicated car I had many years ago as an example for things to consider. When trouble shooting, people usually check out the power source but forget about grounds. All these problems occurring because of spinning out and not hitting anything is hard to understand the connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
major car parts stores like o'reilly,autozone ..etc. providing free of charge vehicle scan tool service whatever code they read on your vehicle they provide info what code making engine light come on.you dont have to buy anything!when you get code please share in forums we try to help:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
major car parts stores like o'reilly,autozone ..etc. providing free of charge vehicle scan tool service whatever code they read on your vehicle they provide info what code making engine light come on.you dont have to buy anything!when you get code please share in forums we try to help:)
Sure will thank you so much

1 - 20 of 21 Posts