Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is old news, I was in my local Kragen (aka Checker/Schuck's) looking for other new bulbs. Came across the the Sylvania Xtravision H1 twin pack and took a look at the codes on the bulbs. To my surprise, the H1 model code read '64150 SVS'; that's the clear version of the Silverstar, aka Euro Silverstar or the Osram version. Not to be confused with the Sylvania Silverstar that are super-white.

These are 19.99 for the twin pack and depending on the weekly promotion, they may be cheaper. I've bought these for $17/piece in the past and still see them going for that much; eBay may be cheaper. This is great if you're a 'brick and mortar' type shopper.

There were H7s on the shelf with the characteristic silver tip of the Osram Silverstars; the model code was also followed by 'SVS' denoting the Silverstar version. Don't the 2006+ models use the H7 in the foglight?

Short of making a blanket statement that all Xtravision H1/H7s are indeed the Osram Silverstar, I'd say go check it it out for yourself.

Good hunting...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I got 2 sets of silverstars in the past, but they kept going out after 12 months or so (~20k mile).

And when they did, it was "too much work" to import more. I'll look at the bulbs next time.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Don't know if this is old news, I was in my local Kragen (aka Checker/Schuck's) looking for other new bulbs. Came across the the Sylvania Xtravision H1 twin pack and took a look at the codes on the bulbs. To my surprise, the H1 model code read '64150 SVS'; that's the clear version of the Silverstar, aka Euro Silverstar or the Osram version. Not to be confused with the Sylvania Silverstar that are super-white.

These are 19.99 for the twin pack and depending on the weekly promotion, they may be cheaper. I've bought these for $17/piece in the past and still see them going for that much; eBay may be cheaper. This is great if you're a 'brick and mortar' type shopper.

There were H7s on the shelf with the characteristic silver tip of the Osram Silverstars; the model code was also followed by 'SVS' denoting the Silverstar version. Don't the 2006+ models use the H7 in the foglight?

Short of making a blanket statement that all Xtravision H1/H7s are indeed the Osram Silverstar, I'd say go check it it out for yourself.

Good hunting...
[/b]

It's a real nice find, I just wish Silverstar from Sylvania had some reputation like PIAA in the clear bulbs area.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a real nice find, I just wish Silverstar from Sylvania had some reputation like PIAA in the clear bulbs area.
[/b]
Like Cbob said, no hassle of having to 'import' them. It's in your backyard now.

I suppose there is a lack of a rep on these units. The UK auto mags have reviewed and tested these units with good results. Are PIAA clear bulbs that much better than all the rest?

I've had good results with these too. Light output is pretty good, noticeably better than the typical H1 bulb.

Regardless, at the end of the day it all depends on amount of usage and road conditions. It really is YMMV.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Today I went out and pulled the low and high H1's to find out what was stock. In the process, the right side low went out.... I'm not sure exactly why, but the wires inside the metal shell look especially flimsy. FYI, stock lows are Philips Long Life H1, stock highs are Philips Premium H1.

Since no one in my town stocks Philips (or H1 bulbs for that matter), I went everywhere til I finally found some Sylvania XtraVision H1s at AutoZone. Upon inspection, just like rotatorsrus found, the bulbs are actually OSRAM Silverstars built in Germany, repackaged for the US! (For those that don't know, the OSRAMs are a clear bulb known as +50s because of supposed 50% greater illumination.) Too bad they weren't a twin pack, but they were cheaper than the US-spec Sylvania Silverstars that suck. I'll report my findings once they're installed.

EDIT: 5:12PM
Just finished installing the OSRAMs, decided to put them in the low position. Even for uncolored bulbs, they appear slightly whiter, and slightly brighter on a wall, definately noticeable when looking at the toward the lamps above the cutoff. After closer inspection of the OE Philips LL bulb, the failure occured on the filament where it meets the glass base, an unusual spot.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The USDM Silverstars are crap.I had a set ,a few actually, the suck.
The Osram Silverstars are alot better,and will last longer.
Though Sylvania is owned by Osram there are differences in the bulbs.IIRC the Sylvania bulb has that cheap blue hue on the glass, the Osram bulbs dont.

If you really want to notice the difference go with the Osram Nightbreakers. They are the brightest H1 non-xenon bulb you can get,and are ~$25. I use then on my high beams and you can really see the difference.
For low beam I have to say HID FTW.

·
Registered
482 Posts
All I read about the silverstars are bad, but I wanted to make sure the OSRAM ones are still okay. thanks!

ordered some Osram Nightbreakers, keep ya posted...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts