Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I broke down today and orded my SSR GT1's and some dunlop SP 8000's to round them out. I'm going to shave about 3.5lb off each wheel with this combo, so hopefully that will help some with cornering and acceleration.For those in the U.S., Your local Discounttire will match any online price (ie tirerack) so I got all this for about $2000 inlcuding tax, shipping etc.....I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car does with some Z rated tires as I'm getting some wheel hop in first gear(chalk that up to lack of skill more than tire issues) Should have them in a week, I'll take some pics when I get them.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Orded SSR GT1's'

The offset on the wheels is +48, it should work according to both the Tirerack and the guys at SSR. The good thing about Discounttire, is they will get them in, mount one to make sure it fits right and I'm happy, if I'm not happy or they don't fit, no problem, I don't pay.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Brillo, it would be great if you could try to get an accurate weight on on the OEM wheel. If you are not having the tires unmounted just the weight of a stock wheel/tire would be fine. I'd pull one of mine but all it's doing up here is rain and freezing temperatures.

3-4 lbs per corner should be a very noticable difference.

Oh, nice choice of color. :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The weight on the OEM 16inch wheel is 21lb, I emailed MazdaUSA and got that info from them. The 17inch is also 21lb, it just uses less metal as they told me.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

That's excellent man. That should be a great offset for it. 7.5 is a better width than 7 anyway.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Heres a pic with the SSR's on a yellow Mazda 6 :)

the second is just a pic with some gunmetal wheels (i think they look badass) just for the heck of it ;)

enjoy!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

discounttire called me and they have my tires, but not my wheels. What torture! :) I'm praying they get my wheels in tomorrow and I'll have the car put together this weekend, pictures and all. That was quick, but I guess the wheels and tires only had to come from Louisiana, so thats not to far from Texas. I like the wheels on the yellow, mine will be silver, not chrome, but its a good combo. Now I really want my sports grille

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well, discounttire got the wheels and tires in, I got the mounted and balanced but in the end, it didn't look right to me so I decided against purchasing them. I'm glad discounttire took them back with no issue, as much as I love the internet I'm glad I didn't order them that way, returns could be painful.

·
Registered
464 Posts

You mean they didnt look good on your car, or they didnt look good when they came to your house?

You can always take a good picture of your car and do what i did, photoshop them on the car and at least get an idea of what they'd look like :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sorry, I got cut off while writing my last post. I didn't get the wheels shipped to me, I had all the work done at discount tire. After the put the wheels and tires on the car, it just didn't look like I thought it would. The wheels being light weight, obviously had thin spokes, and the wheels looked to "open" the brake pads don't fill up the rest of the space, it looked to cheap, and I hate to use the word "rice", but that what it looked like. I had to do a real gut check seeing as this was ~$2K I was about to spend. This is all my personal opinion, you may find you really like the look, it just didn't sit well with me. I was really getting the wheels b/c it would expand the tire options I would have, not so much b/c I wanted larger wheels. I may see if I can get my hands on the OEM 17inch wheels which have thicker spokes at some point. I have to give props to discount tire for being so accommodating given the situation. I did look at some photoshop pics of the wheels on the cars, but sometimes the real thing looks different. Don’t be discouraged by my experience, you may find your likes and tastes are different. For now, I’m just going to have to find the best tires that fit the 16inch wheels.

·
Registered
464 Posts

I wonder if you take your car to a wheels place in town if they will put a sample copy on your car to test them out? Then if they look good u can just go online and get a better price :)

I totally understand, when you pay for something that is 1/10 the cost of the entire car you want them to look good and ride good! I'm also surprised how accomodating Discount Tire was, i figured theyd start charging for restocking and handling and all these other things. Good deal.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I think you will love the T1-Ss. The Miata guys rave about them. They have a little bit of a soft sidewall so you won't have a really sharp turn in but they should be lighter and the grip is reported to spectular. They also say the wet grip is just as good.

What size? Looking at my OEM 205/60-16s it looks like a 225/50-16 would be a great size for the 7" rim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts