Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Added to my 3rd gen 1-stop-shop thread along with the other tuning threads.

·
Registered
560 Posts
@OrangeVirus Tuning, question re: Mixing guidelines:
"Fill up once you have reached the "gas light icon" on the dash."
How imperitive is this? I have a station near one work location but they are not extremely close in Raleigh. So could I technically fill up once getting low (like 1/4 tank left?) knowing I won't be back in area?

"Fill up at the same station every time"
Is this for tuning process only? Or recommended the entire time? It sounds extremely limiting to have to fill up at only 1 station, in addition to filling up only when gas light comes on...what do people do if traveling or simply in another area of town when time to find an E85 station to fill up at (which sounds like it could be difficult enough depending on availability)?

·
Registered
618 Posts
How imperitive is this? I have a station near one work location but they are not extremely close in Raleigh. So could I technically fill up once getting low (like 1/4 tank left?) knowing I won't be back in area?

Is this for tuning process only? Or recommended the entire time? It sounds extremely limiting to have to fill up at only 1 station, in addition to filling up only when gas light comes on...what do people do if traveling or simply in another area of town when time to find an E85 station to fill up at (which sounds like it could be difficult enough depending on availability)?
I never saw him saying you have to fill up at the same station every time. He just said fill up E85 and 91+ at the same gas station, just so you understand that filling up 4 gallons of E85 at one station and then driving half a mile down the road to fill up 91 at your favorite gas station cannot be done! You have to fill both at same station so the mix is proper right away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

For the first mix you don't have to wait all the way until the light comes on, it's just easier. But for future fill ups you'll need to fill up when the gas tank is at the same amount nearly every time (gas light icon is a good indicator). Because lets say you did your mix 3 gallons E85, and the rest 91.

then.... you decide you want to fill up again, but you still have 3/8's a tank. you put 3 gallons in, and the rest 91.
What's your mix now? surely not 3 gallons per tank. might be closer to 4.5 gallons / tank

you can fill up at whatever station you want, What I mean is that you have to fill up the E85 and 91 at the same station. you can't put E85 in, then drive down the road to another place to get your 91.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about if we are in the middle of the tuning process (I'm on tune 4). I still want a regular tune for 87 but would like the e85mix as well. Is it fine to put the regular tune in hold while we do the e85 tune?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure that is fine.
Also folks this is a limited time offer to get these free. we have already gathered more than enough folks we wanted to work with so from this point we are holding off on giving out more E85 tunes until this round is done.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Do I just email you to take advantage of the 'free tune?'

Also, are there any benefits running mixed e85 (more power, less MPG?)? There's only a single station (not very close) in my area and some other guys state that the blend varies from e70-e85 at that station... However, I fill my WRX up there and now carry gas cans of e85 around. :[

Also, does that mean there's potential for running E85 full time on the 6?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've already got several folks (more than initially thought) so I guess you can say "we're booked". but we will let everyone know when it will be available for everyone else. I know we only had the offer open for a few days, but we had several folks jump on the opportunity.

There may be a possibility of full time E85. That's something we plan on doing testing for soon.

E85 mixtures allow for a very large increase in octane rating of the fuel, along with a very large decrease / protection from knock / detonation from ignition timing. Which means more power.

Right now nobody has been tuned to MBT. Every tune is "knock limited" due to the very high compression ratio. The more octane we get, the closer we can get to MBT, and make more power.
Along with all the other benefits of E85, we're expecting to see very large jumps in performance compared to the standard 93 octane tune.
Compared to stock, We are expecting around 50HP/70lbs TQ increase at the wheels with a 4 gallon mixture. I know that sounds very aggressive, but stock is so severely detuned and these engines have "everything" you need for a 220+WHP N/A engine (minus an aggressive cam)

·
Registered
560 Posts
For the first mix you don't have to wait all the way until the light comes on, it's just easier. But for future fill ups you'll need to fill up when the gas tank is at the same amount nearly every time (gas light icon is a good indicator). Because lets say you did your mix 3 gallons E85, and the rest 91.

then.... you decide you want to fill up again, but you still have 3/8's a tank. you put 3 gallons in, and the rest 91.
What's your mix now? surely not 3 gallons per tank. might be closer to 4.5 gallons / tank

you can fill up at whatever station you want, What I mean is that you have to fill up the E85 and 91 at the same station. you can't put E85 in, then drive down the road to another place to get your 91.

Thanks for those clarifications! I've been on this site almost daily for a year daily until the last few weeks b/c I've gotten so dang busy with work a home life...guess you snooze you lose in the case of this E85 tune...oh well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts