Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Been slacking on car updates...

Last Sat night on a snowy road, tried easing on the brakes but only one side of the car grabbed anything, causing it to go sideways into the snow embankment on the other side of the road.

Was very lucky though.. inches from a tree, less than two feet from a fire hydrant. Somebody coming the other direction informed the police (thanks random person!), and while we were waiting for the cops to show up, some dude in a WRX pulls up and says that if we are still there after he drops his GF off at work, he has tow straps and will help us out. Thanks 2nd random person! Some more time goes by and a guy in a jeep pulls up and asks if we need help, and says that he works for AAA and has been doing this all night. Had my car out within a few minutes. Thanks 3rd random person!

Faith in humanity: Somewhat restored.

Next morning, I found this:

As well as a small crack in the bottom of the rear bumper :(

Had a steering flush done Monday, then Mon evening the alternator died in the middle of an off ramp. Grrrrrrr. Luckily a friend of mine came to the rescue and jump started the car. It kept itself running, but every bit of electronics in the car was complaining, some more dramatically than others. So I managed to get it to a relative's house and parked until it could be towed Tuesday morning to Mazda. Upside to this part of the story is that the tow was covered by insurance's roadside package, and the alternator and labor are fully covered by 3rd party warranty. I am also having the belt and tensioner replaced and the Purge Valve TSB completed while they are in there.

So now I'm driving around in an older 6s until my car is finished.
Not sure what I am going to do about the front bumper.

Bahhgh.

Edit: just got the call that my car is all set. Total cost to me is $328 <_<
but at least what I'm paying for is voluntary repairs and is expected.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Been slacking on car updates...

Last Sat night on a snowy road, tried easing on the brakes but only one side of the car grabbed anything, causing it to go sideways into the snow embankment on the other side of the road.

Was very lucky though.. inches from a tree, less than two feet from a fire hydrant. Somebody coming the other direction informed the police (thanks random person!), and while we were waiting for the cops to show up, some dude in a WRX pulls up and says that if we are still there after he drops his GF off at work, he has tow straps and will help us out. Thanks 2nd random person! Some more time goes by and a guy in a jeep pulls up and asks if we need help, and says that he works for AAA and has been doing this all night. Had my car out within a few minutes. Thanks 3rd random person!

Faith in humanity: Somewhat restored.

Next morning, I found this:

As well as a small crack in the bottom of the rear bumper :(

Had a steering flush done Monday, then Mon evening the alternator died in the middle of an off ramp. Grrrrrrr. Luckily a friend of mine came to the rescue and jump started the car. It kept itself running, but every bit of electronics in the car was complaining, some more dramatically than others. So I managed to get it to a relative's house and parked until it could be towed Tuesday morning to Mazda. Upside to this part of the story is that the tow was covered by insurance's roadside package, and the alternator and labor are fully covered by 3rd party warranty. I am also having the belt and tensioner replaced and the Purge Valve TSB completed while they are in there.

So now I'm driving around in an older 6s until my car is finished.
Not sure what I am going to do about the front bumper.

Bahhgh.

Edit: just got the call that my car is all set. Total cost to me is $328 <_<
but at least what I'm paying for is voluntary repairs and is expected.
is 328 including bumper repair?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
is 328 including bumper repair?
No that's new belt, belt tensioner and purge valve parts + labor. Kind of ridiculous that they still charged book labor-time even though they were already in there replacing the alternator.

The bumper is less important at the moment. Funds are dwindling.. I did have a bunch of $ for some upgrades, but got a booty call from life cause it apparently still wants to fuck me.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
No that's new belt, belt tensioner and purge valve parts + labor. Kind of ridiculous that they still charged book labor-time even though they were already in there replacing the alternator.

The bumper is less important at the moment. Funds are dwindling.. I did have a bunch of $ for some upgrades, but got a booty call from life cause it apparently still wants to fuck me.
I said repair the bumper and repaint it yourself :)

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts

Highlighted is all I saw at first and was really really happy, then read the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I would if I had experience. I feel like a crack like that will always be a weak spot even if repaired properly. But again, no experience.
I am no body expert either but its just ABS plastic... not the man of steel. WIM has a compressor... :) and there are tons of how to on 3m for bumper repair. Or you can get a new bumper painted of ebay for like 350-400. After life is done its booty calling.

21 - 40 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.