Mazda 6 Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1371 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll admit I haven't read this whole thread, but can someone explain or point me to the disadvantages of this tune? There must be disadvantages, right? Otherwise Mazda would've just tuned the car this way to begin with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll admit I haven't read this whole thread, but can someone explain or point me to the disadvantages of this tune? There must be disadvantages, right? Otherwise Mazda would've just tuned the car this way to begin with.
I'd guess they just don't want to get everything out of the engine because it could shorten the lifespan of the engine and make it less economic. Mazdas engineers have done years of testing and studied how the parts wear out at different levels of engine tuning. They needed to make a compromise between reliability and "fun factor" when the engine was still on design table.

Today european car manufacturers tend to use smaller engines and they have been tuned up to run on higher revs and such. There's not much you can do to get some more power out of them. Mazda has a different approach as they use larger engines which have been tuned down slightly to make them economic and reliable. When you tune up your Mazda engine you lose the advantages of having economic engine. I don't know about the reliability though but the higher the revs the higher the engine wear. You'd probably want to change oil more often as well and make sure to use good quality oil. And how economic your car is depends more on how heavy you gas pedal is...

One thing about the engine wear. My previous car was a Toyota with 2ZZ-GE engine and the rev limiter was at 8500 rpm. The engine woke up at 6500 rpm. Lotus Elise uses the same engine. When I switched to Mazda the old car had over 240 000km (~150 000miles) in the clock. I never had any issues with the engine. I always used Mobil One 0W40 oil and changed the oil and filter after every 15 000km (~9300miles). And oh boy did I have fun with that car! It had a noticeable kick when you hit the 6500 rpm and that's where it really started to accelerate. I'm just trying to say that the engine really was in use and because it was well lubricated no significant wear was able to build up. I live up in the north so during the winter the engine had to endure temps as low as -30C (-22F). The engine was still kicking well when I sold the car. It started to have problems with suspension and brakes which is why I got rid of it. Also I needed as safer car to transport my newborn baby.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd guess they just don't want to get everything out of the engine because it could shorten the lifespan of the engine and make it less economic. Mazdas engineers have done years of testing and studied how the parts wear out at different levels of engine tuning. They needed to make a compromise between reliability and "fun factor" when the engine was still on design table.
That's what I was worried about, that it would be a lifespan thing. From the reports on here, many people have gotten increased fuel economy and increased performance, so it just seems like a too-good-to-be-true sort of thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bench tune

Has anyone used their "bench tune" where you take out your ecu and physically send it to them and they tune it and send it back?

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's what I was worried about, that it would be a lifespan thing. From the reports on here, many people have gotten increased fuel economy and increased performance, so it just seems like a too-good-to-be-true sort of thing.
It might have more to do with emissions than durability. Engineers are trying to hit a sweet spot between emissions compliance, fuel economy, power output, and durability. However, emissions is a fixed limit. You can get away with a little less power, or a little less durability, or a little poorer fuel economy (you don't want to, obviously, but you can.) You can not, however, get away with not meeting emissions standards. Just ask VW how that worked out for them.
:frown2:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Has anyone used their "bench tune" where you take out your ecu and physically send it to them and they tune it and send it back?
Is there an option for that? I did that for my Genesis except they would give you the option to just Ship you a OEM ECU, tune it to your mods & ship it to you ready to turn key. Upside was if you had to do any dealership work you could just swap out the ECU to your stock ECU in 5 mins.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Has anyone did a 85 tune? We moved to Colorado springs and 85 is low grade with 30 cent more for 87. Right now I have 87 tune and running it on 85 :/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Placed an order a week ago. Noticed the site was down for maintenance. Still let me add the item to the cart and pay for it. MasterCard was charged, received an automated confirmation email with an order number. Wednesday comes by, I am in no rush and I understand they're busy. However, I start thinking "If the website was broken, did the order get to their side of the process?" Sent an email simply asking if the order was received on their end. No communication as of yet and website is still down. The fact that the website is still down for Maintenance a week later has me a tad concerned coupled with the lack of communication. Wait another week and if there isn't any update whatsoever, have Mastercard refund my purchase?

I do want the tune and I am willing to wait for it. I'm just looking for some confirmation that yes we have your order and yes you will get your product.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm thinking they're having an entire overhaul done on their internet stuffs. Even their FB page says that they will have very limited access until the 22nd. Probably just poor purchase timing on my part.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry to follow up on this thread so late!

current status on handhelds for mitsubishi / mazda 6 ECU is.. unfortunately not going to be possible. I am sorry

we are still working on the 2.5L skyactiv tunes like always. The team has expanded, now have a full time developer and second person handling tune files.

we are also heavy into development on the 2.5L Skyactiv turbo in the new mazda 6/ CX9

Toyota has also taken up a lot of our time

I'm thinking they're having an entire overhaul done on their internet stuffs. Even their FB page says that they will have very limited access until the 22nd. Probably just poor purchase timing on my part.

I was tuning track cars in China in january. sorry, internet access is blocked in china for most things, I couldn't even get a word out to let people know. (had no idea their internet is so heavily censored)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good to hear business is doing well (hiring extra folks) and you're available for the time being. I'm thinking I'll plunk down the money for the tune process. I just need to decide whether I want to keep my Injen CAI or go back to a more stock intake setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So what's the deal with these guys? Apparently the they are in the process of moving and redesigning their entire site? Did not have the time or patience to read through 130+ pages. Did they ever get a handheld tuner produced?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Question re How OVT Can Improve Bottom-End Torque For 2.5 Skyactiv Normally-Aspirated Engine: Per this statement, can folks that are in the know help me understand how this can be done?

My sense is that for emissions the electronic throttle in the base state of tune is arranged to be rather "tepid", weak-minded... and so the throttle control programming is likely changed by OVT so as to be more aggressive... small acc. pedal movement then resulting in a more aggressive throttle valve opening, a bit of "progressivity " being sacrificed for the feel of a more "torquey" move-off. Second, with 13:1 CR the PCM has to delay intake valve closure (thereby effectively reducing the CR) for a given fuel octane and acc. pedal "demand"... lest pre-ignition occur. The PCM does have the ability to tailor the combination of ignition advance, intake valve closure delay, and mixture richness, but it can change advance and valve closure delay only so much. So if OVT changes the engine's base fuel (away from 87 to say 92) they can effectively increase the CR by lessening intake valve closure delay and add advance (together, in the correct proportions) so the engine performs like one designed for higher octane fuel, with the superior torque values that high CR engines have. Does this make sense, or have I got this wrong?

·
Registered
605 Posts
So with that being said, will this tune work only OEM turbo kits or aftermarket. I know that Corksport is working on a turbo kit also....i wonder the power that will be made with a turbo kit........

·
Registered
41 Posts
(not sure about turbos)
I just flashed my 2016 touring 6 with the final flash and cannot say enough good things about how this has transformed my car (thank you OVTUNE!).
I cut out the silencer from the intake and got a less restrictive turbo muffler welded in, then the tune applied and it feels like it pulls like a whole different engine.
The beauty is that along with greater acceleration, especially in the low end, I'm also getting better gas mileage!

1341 - 1360 of 1371 Posts