Mazda 6 Forums banner

861 - 880 of 1358 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mat, I haven't started my tune yet but I do have "Sport Mode" on my '14 6!

I'd love to try out map switching as I swear the throttle response is sharper/faster in sport mode.

Let me know and I'll purchase tune asap. I already emailed you once about it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I never heard back about getting in on that so guessing his E85 spots are definitely loaded, wouldn't hold your breath on that one. No AT for me so out on his other new offer as well. Guess will just sit back and wait to see how much he will charge for the E85 tune. Speaking of which @OrangeVirus Tuning, I was under impression the previous tune would ideally have to be completed prior to the E85 but seeing others who have not even done the initial tune are in on the E85 offer so guess that is not the case? Is their less work involved for those who have completed the previous tune or basically either way everyone starts from "scratch" on the E85 tune?
Nobody has the E85 tune without the gas tune first. Most people aren't complete, but are far into it and nearly complete. Not everyone who asked for the E85 tuning has been selected to work with it either.

I want to give everyone a fair chance, but We were expecting to do some close E85 work with just a few vehicles to begin (2-3), we weren't expecting the huge jump of people (we've had over 20 ask us for it). So we're keeping with our small test group, getting calibration set, then we will be doing "public" E85 mapping.

E85 mapping can be "piggybacked" off the regular tune, due to the base mechanical tables being the same for the most part (cams for example). Fueling, and timing are the big changes with E mix.

We're still working on some stuff for MT folks, so don't feel left out!

@OrangeVirus Tuning if i can get my mazdaedit working correctly ill be in for sport tuning. I got a 16 mazda 6 gt with the sport button.
I've relayed your issue to epifan and am just awaiting his response :( I still think it's a connectivity issue (if i'm thinking about the right person who emailed me). It's an error some folks here got when we initially started, and just required the ROM being dumped right after the car gets turned on, in a few seconds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yea i emailed you and epifan about that problem and he sent me some updated files, ive just been busy with work and havent gotten to it yet. When i did the first dump he said that it looked like i read the wrong format so i sent him another one and thats the one were working off of. The laptop was on and plugged onto the obdII port before the car was on and as soon as i hit the ignition twice i dumped the rom so.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Alright i got it to work. I flashed the ecm not even 10 minutes ago and all went well. Its a little on the late side timewise so its first drive wont be until tomorrow. Now just have to find some time to datalog.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mat -
Is there a way to give users the 'Sport mode' who don't have the physical sport mode button? In other words, can you flash the sport mode (captured from a vehicle that has it) to a vehicle that does not, overwriting the default cruise mode? In effect, the car would always be in sport mode...

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Would anybody in the SoCal area be interested in a dyno day? I can get 3 runs for $50.
Where in SoCal?

Also I won't do a dyno run unless there is somebody else there running bone stock with an MTX for a baseline (which I'd be willing to pay for). Peat was game for doing a baseline at one point...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mat -
Is there a way to give users the 'Sport mode' who don't have the physical sport mode button? In other words, can you flash the sport mode (captured from a vehicle that has it) to a vehicle that does not, overwriting the default cruise mode? In effect, the car would always be in sport mode...

Thanks!

-Ryan
That is exactly what I'm looking for as well. You read my mind Ryan.. Lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
My fear is that "sport mode" also engages changes with the transmission control unit; But, since I use the manual mode most of the time, I control the shift points myself, so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.

I wonder what changes the sport mode implements; is it just timing and fueling, or is it more? I would imagine that if it is not possible to do exactly what I'd like to see, Mat could still make the same changes that would in effect, be very similar to the factory sport mode - except "tuned" ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Where in SoCal?

Also I won't do a dyno run unless there is somebody else there running bone stock with an MTX for a baseline (which I'd be willing to pay for). Peat was game for doing a baseline at one point...
In La Puente. I was thinking about starting a group buy thread to get a dyno day running but figured I'd ask here first since this is the only real game-changing performance mod we have.

I work at a shop that fabricates for cars and modifies them as well as sell parts. We're right next to Megan so I bug them everyday to make more products for our cars. If there is enough interest I can even get the ball rolling. BUT that's for another thread.

But yeah we've done dyno days and tuning days for the G/Z community. I figured heck why not do our cars?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was going to go to Cobb socal when my e85 tune was done, but if the price is right im interested for sure.

What would the price be without a group day?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
I'll have to pass on the dyno day. It's a half day's worth of driving alone, and I've got a young family, it just isn't going to happen for me. Thanks for the opportunity though.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #875 (Edited)
Ok, I sent OrangeVirus Tuning my tune file with the updated accelerator pedal settings that really reduces the initial touchiness of the pedal, and leaves a lot of throttle for deeper in the pedal travel so WOT is more satisfying, rather than a little bit of a let down.

It feels kind of gutless right after you flash, but if you give it a few days to a week for the ecu to dial back into the tune it will feel right, and with a couple hundred miles the fuel economy will come back, as it takes a bit for the ecu to adjust the change.
So for those that want to try it out, ask ovt for it.

I also gave him my draft revised cam setting which may offer an improvement for those with aftermarket exhaust. I still will do some datalogging and exploratory adjustments to make sure I'm not leaving any performance on the table. But as of right now I can keep the tires breaking traction from 3000rpm to 6500 in first gear with my mtx.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
My fear is that "sport mode" also engages changes with the transmission control unit; But, since I use the manual mode most of the time, I control the shift points myself, so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.

I wonder what changes the sport mode implements; is it just timing and fueling, or is it more? I would imagine that if it is not possible to do exactly what I'd like to see, Mat could still make the same changes that would in effect, be very similar to the factory sport mode - except "tuned" ;)
I am also one of them guys that want a sport mode, too bad you have to shell out on a GT with tech to even get it, not an option in the lower trim levels, and wasn't even available at all when the 6 was 1st introduced.

According to Matt he mentioned early in this thread that for AT equipped owners that he cannot adjust the shift points since the trans is controlled by its own computer. "for ATX owners: Like most Mazdas I've tuned, the transmission is controlled by it's own TCM, and not the PCM. Unfortunately I can't promise that on the mazda 6 I will be able to tune or adjust shift points for the ATX." Sport mode changes both engine mapping and trans calibration, so if we flash factory sport mode into our cars it might make the engine more aggressive but shifting will still be standard, unless somehow there is also a way to flash the TCM but based on matt's statement that is not a possibility for now.

this is a bit off topic but there is still a way to improve and make our ATs a bit more fun, someone managed to retrofit the paddle shifters that come standard to the GT to his touring, its all plug and play, imo it makes the AT that much more sporty and engaging vs using the shift lever to bang off the gears

http://forum.mazda6club.com/models-trim/282969-paddle-shifter-retrofit-2.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am also one of them guys that want a sport mode, too bad you have to shell out on a GT with tech to even get it, not an option in the lower trim levels, and wasn't even available at all when the 6 was 1st introduced.

According to Matt he mentioned early in this thread that for AT equipped owners that he cannot adjust the shift points since the trans is controlled by its own computer. "for ATX owners: Like most Mazdas I've tuned, the transmission is controlled by it's own TCM, and not the PCM. Unfortunately I can't promise that on the mazda 6 I will be able to tune or adjust shift points for the ATX." Sport mode changes both engine mapping and trans calibration, so if we flash factory sport mode into our cars it might make the engine more aggressive but shifting will still be standard, unless somehow there is also a way to flash the TCM but based on matt's statement that is not a possibility for now.

this is a bit off topic but there is still a way to improve and make our ATs a bit more fun, someone managed to retrofit the paddle shifters that come standard to the GT to his touring, its all plug and play, imo it makes the AT that much more sporty and engaging vs using the shift lever to bang off the gears

http://forum.mazda6club.com/models-trim/282969-paddle-shifter-retrofit-2.html
Do you happen to know what, exactly, the sport mode does with the ECU? I would have thought that Mat made all possible performance tweaks during the tune...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, I wanted to point out that I have a GT, but lack the sport mode button. My vehicle must have been made prior to this feature being added...

·
Registered
462 Posts
On my '14,,, "Sport" mode came with the technology package and I-eLoop.
When engauged I swear the throttle is sharper, it keeps a gear a bit longer, and is more "ready to go". Yes, even my lady can tell a difference in how the car reacts.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Alright, I datalogged my draft tune I sent to OVT attached as tune 20. For comparisons OVTs last tune is tune 10. Like tune ten did I expect it to even things out with more miles, but it looks pretty promising. Remember this is at the wheels up a hill...

Attachments

861 - 880 of 1358 Posts