Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading this post about ICE wax and came across the orange peel topic.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=50511&st=0

I didn't think much about it, until after a bad experience on Saturday with the carwash where my parents live, (onyx black + carwash * me = water spots!) my dad forced me to handwash my car, for about 3 hours. Washing the car is fun, not fun when Dad is barking orders.

Anyways, so I point out on my lower portion of my front doors of what i think is "orange peel", not a big deal, and we keep washing and I explain to him what it is from your explanations on here.

Well Monday while I'm at work, I get 3 missed calls from my dad. Seems he got soooo worried about the orange peel, he went to the dealership on his lunch break and talked to the body shop about it. They say that this is a different coating on this portion of the doors to protect the doors from rocks flying up and such. They said if it was orange peel though, and not the protective part of the paint, they would repaint my car under warranty. From what I've read, I'd rather try to have it color/wet sanded before I'd have it repainted.

My dad told me to come home this weekend (85 mile trip one way mind you....) and have them check it out and see if it is orange peel. I don't really care going in there and looking like the misguided blonde girl, but just thought I would get your opinions on the "protective paint coating" thing.

Also, I was told by a friend (a dealership manager) if I did have my car repainted, it devalues the car like crazy. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
364 Posts
If any part of the car needed this "protective coating", it would be the hood.
The leading edge of the hood is like a net for flying objects.
I've had to touch-up three pits on the edge.

Not really sure why the bottom of the doors would need this kind of protection.
I'm going to have to call BS on what the guy told your dad.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think the area they are talking about is below the doors - and I don't think that is on the Sport models with their special lower body panels.

I wouldn't make the trip. If it's not on the door itself it's not worth messing with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/b]

It's there to protect it from stone chips off the tires. It's not orange peel. If it was It would not be the same on both sides. You see it more on a black car.

Just about all new cars have it now. Stop at any car dealer and see, Look at a black car.

I live in PA and let me tell you if it was not on my cars they would look like hell. They use a ton of shell in the winter here and don't really clean it up well.

You can use a high speed Buffer and make it look better if you really want to. Just don't burn the chip guard or the clear.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you have a non-sport that is NOT orange peel. Should be on the below the doors and like 2-3 inches up the side of the doors. It is a rock protection coating. The most likely place you'll see orange peel is on the rear of the trunk. Least that's where I've seen in on 6's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This pic should give you a good idea of "orange peel". This is of course the rear Mazda badge on my car and the lighting makes this look way worse than it does in person. With more even lighting, this is hardly noticeable but it is there. I have a little orange peel in several places but not bad enough I'd even consider wet sanding or repainting at all. I've looked at quite a few 6's and I've never seen anything bad enough that I'd consider drastic enough to repaint. I'd get some of the guys at the Mazda Meet in Dallas to have a look and give you their opinion. I'd even take a look at it if we were closer. Good Luck. NRA

[attachmentid=12735]

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep, that's my car - and almost every new car I've seen recently.
The latest was a black Jeep Commander.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it sounds like the protective rock coating, especially since I looked around some more in the direct sunlight yesterday and it is a symmetrical rectangle on each front door, on the lower part, below that door guard strip (or whatever that thing is.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If any part of the car needed this "protective coating", it would be the hood.
The leading edge of the hood is like a net for flying objects.
I've had to touch-up three pits on the edge.

[/b]

How did you touch up the chips on the edge of the hood? I tried to do that and the paint just dripped down.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Open the hood and use a toothpick. Fill it in a bunch of thin layers, so the surface tension holds it in. You get get all fancy with sanding and cleaning, but I just didn't want to stare at big grey spots anymore.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah it sounds like the protective rock coating, especially since I looked around some more in the direct sunlight yesterday and it is a symmetrical rectangle on each front door, on the lower part, below that door guard strip (or whatever that thing is.)

Thanks!
[/b]
from your avatar it looks like you have a non sport. On the non sport the protective coating is on the doors, about the bottom 2 inches. If there's any confusion let me know and i will take pictures of my car and i can show you what is what.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Chode6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing