·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get:

Wheel Locks?
Alarm Shock Sensor Upgrade?
All-Weather Floor Mats?

Wheel locks - what exactly do they do, and how? I'm assuming they somehow lock your wheels so people don't steal them? Do people really steal wheels that often? (I'm not in a big city - that might make a difference.) I've never had just "rims" on a car - I've always had cars with just hubcaps or wheel covers so never had to worry about nice rims :D .

Alarm Shock Sensor Upgrade - a guy I work with has a Protege he got a year ago and he has this (or something similar anyway) and he said he and his wife turned it off 'cause it's too sensitive.

Floor Mats - I could probably get a decent set of black All-Weather mats at Target for $20. :) (i'll be getting sport pkg so I assume I'd want black floor mats as I'll have black leather interior)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Reading Topic: Options - are they worth the extra $$?

the dealer himself told me wheel locks are worthless....

no opinion on the alarm shock sensor - tho i'm told some can be extremely sensitive...not sure about them on the 6

All weather floor mats - I love mine....best addition i had to my 6. Definitely keep the gunk off the nice carpet, and they're really thick so definitely durable! Easy to clean....i'm a fan.

-yasir

·
Registered
541 Posts

The wheel locks are lugnuts that are rounded off on the outside so you can use a standard wrench to remove them. There is only 1 per wheel, the other 4 are regular lugnuts. You have to use a "keyed" socket that comes with the car in order to take them off. Unfortuneately for the 6, that key is built into the crappy wrench that is in the trunk near the spare. It's a royal pain in the ass if you want to rotate the tires yourself. I'm going to be replaceing the locking lugs with regular ones. They were included with the car.

Stay away from the alarm upgrade. If someone wants you car, it's gone. A crappy alam won't do anything except go off when you don't want it to.

As for the floormats, I guess that's really up to you. I personally loke the lok of the ones that come with the car. I like the embroidered Mazda 6 they have. I don't see a need for them during the spring/summer/fall timeframe. Maybe during the winter, but I can take 5 minutes and clean the carpet in my car if it gets too dirty.

Personally I wouldn't get any of them.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Here is my take. I got everything except the wheel locks.

The alarm upgrade is about $70CDN and it may not be worth it but it gives me a peace of mind knowing the car will sound the alarm if someone try to break into the car. The OEM upgrade alarm does not have shock sensor as what most people believe. All the upgrade do is the ability to detect if the doors or locks movement (AKA opening or unlocking) and it will sound the alarm. It even says so in the manual. There is no shock sensor so if someone smash your windows, it won't go off until someone reach inside and activate the lock or door.
If you like a full shock sensor, your best bet is to go aftermarket.

The floormats are a must if you live in anywhere it rains or snows which basically covers everywhere. The mats are so beautifully molded with the Mazda6 logo and it fits perfectly to the floor. There will be no cheap Walmart mats that will fit as nicely. Yes they may be cheaper but you have the wow affect even when you step on it. :) You may find aftermarket ones that will fit nicely like MacNeils and others but they are almost just as expensive as the OEM ones but lack the nice touch of the logo. As imammy and PSU agrees with me. It just makes your expensive investment much better and keeps it cleaner for a longer time. The regular carpet mats comes standard so might as well keep that nice with all season one.

The wheel locks are cheap anyway, you can get that from Walmart and other equivalent stores. They are no more than $20 a set of 4 for each corner of the car. They don't protect much but give you a peace of mind again. Plus there are not too many OEM wheel thieves anyway. They usually hit the bright and shiny aftermarket ones. :) So stay away from chrome wheels.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

As to the alarm situation, if a thief sees your car and another, yours has an alarm and the other doesn't, guess which one is more attractive?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Options - are they worth the extra $$?'

Alarm:
Speaking from past experience with the #4 most stolen vehicle in America, at least a little while ago, I can tell you that having an alarm helps, if not to keep theives from stealing your vehicle, but at least making them looking for an easier target. I have a viper now, not on the 6, but I can tell you that eventually, once shops get used to a 6, that getting an aftermarket system is worthwhile. Of course, who could live without remote start and a 2 mile range on your nifty little lcd remote :sarc Seriously though, aftermarket ones I think are worth the money if you get a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts